Eric Atreides

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

2 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Yeah this movie is intentional camp throughout the whole film and playing off peoples expectations of what a James Wan horror film is.

Its like people can't recognize what camp is anymore if films arent constantly winking at the audience and loudly proclaiming it. Playing it straight is what it makes it sincere instead of so many of the cynical eye rolling attempts we get where they treat audiences like we are children that have to be reassured constantly what they're watching.  James Wan is in on the joke the whole film without having to scream it in your face the whole time.

I think the blame lies on how many folks have internalized the idea that humor somehow makes your movie taken less seriously or for horror, less tense/scary/whatever. Reminds me of how briefly there was that weird online debate that Get Out wasn’t horror because it was too funny/had too many laughs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

I think the blame lies on how many folks have internalized the idea that humor somehow makes your movie taken less seriously or for horror, less tense/scary/whatever. Reminds me of how briefly there was that weird online debate that Get Out wasn’t horror because it was too funny/had too many laughs.

It’s a shame that seems to be the attitude lately, stuff like the Friday the 13th films are genuinely hilarious when viewed with a crowd. I saw a Friday the 13th marathon of the first 4 films a few years back at the Prince Charles Cinema in London, and the atmosphere was fantastic.

• Like 2

76% now. The staff at RT will be keeping the certified fresh away from this one for a long time I feel, lmao. It does seem like it'll eventually get it, but it might first have to conclude its run still at 75% or above.

Edited by Lucas

15 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Yeah this movie is intentional camp throughout the whole film and playing off peoples expectations of what a James Wan horror film is.

Its like people can't recognize what camp is anymore if films arent constantly winking at the audience and loudly proclaiming it. Playing it straight is what it makes it sincere instead of so many of the cynical eye rolling attempts we get where they treat audiences like we are children that have to be reassured constantly what they're watching.  James Wan is in on the joke the whole film without having to scream it in your face the whole time.

I can recognize camp. This isn't that until about halfway through. Sorry.