Eric Atreides

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

It's hard to believe what James Wan has done with this carte blanche from Warner. Some would say silly and ridiculous. But I say that Malignant is one of the most entertaining and best horror films of recent years. Assuming you like horror. The film starts off pretty conventional and really picks up steam about halfway through (well done before that). Somewhere between slasher, creature feature, splatter and action I locate the seen then. The twists sit, for surprises is provided. It's a bit brave to let something like this loose on the people.

French letterboxd reviews are selling this movie much better than the marketing, put "It's a bit brave to let something like this loose on the people" on the poster, damn it!

• Like 1

I'm seeing a whole lot of 'It's really dumb and silly and I loved it' in these reviews. I wonder what people who go in expecting The Conjuring will make of it.

I'm in Venice and it apparently opens here tomorrow. Might check it out this weekend if I can figure out how to get five miles in this city.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, if this wasn't a limited release (and I have to ask - why?), I'd hope to put more egg on Deadline's face for predicting Shang Chi to win its 1st 4 weekends by having this win the 2nd weekend:)...especially after they did the same for Black Widow...

How limited is it going, or is BOM a mistake? 

I guess we’ll get estimates today for next weeks counts. 

34 minutes ago, Firepower said:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3811906/?ref_=m_tt_urv

WB bots spam 10/10 in reviews section. Why bots? Because their accounts were created yesterday with only one review of this movie.

lol I've never seen anyone misspell his name as 'Van' before, but somehow multiple accounts pulled it off there, and even a 'James One' appeared.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3811906/?ref_=m_tt_urv

WB bots spam 10/10 in reviews section. Why bots? Because their accounts were created yesterday with only one review of this movie.

They’ll be removed soon enough. I’m sure there will be 1/10 spams too. IMDb need to start verifying. 

Cheap, gory, ugly, loud, entertaining, unfunny, rousing, confusing, stupid; innovative. And truly harrowing in its concept and some scenes in the final act, strangely reawakening in me a primal fear once triggered by a well-known children's film.
It's damn hard for me to grasp this film, let alone describe it. It's trashy in the best way and cheesy in the worst. The jokes don't crack, the characters are exhausting. The film has one of the coolest killers I've seen in a film in a long time.
The murder weapon is beautiful, equal to the poster that drove me into the film along with Wan's name.
The film has huge balls and is crazy as shit to a degree that it touches my soul to see something like this in a mainstream horror film. My new favourite giallo slasher haunted house horror comedy action splatter, hands down.

This movie is not fucking real lol

Edited by Lucas