Eric Atreides

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

“Giallo slasher haunted house horror action comedy splatter” 😂

Someone Twitter DM’d me today asking if I could be “real” because I’ve said Malignant is embarrassingly terrible and also begged people to see it for a great experience. Which one is it?

All I could say was “Yes!”

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

“Giallo slasher haunted house horror action comedy splatter” 😂

Someone Twitter DM’d me today asking if I could be “real” because I’ve said Malignant is embarrassingly terrible and also begged people to see it for a great experience. Which one is it?

All I could say was “Yes!”

Based on every single word I've heard about the movie so far, there's no other DM response that would've been better.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. What a ride this was. Great set designs, over the top gore and the villain is iconic. Comedy is a bit cringe tho. See it without reading about it and you will enjoy it more. Will be extremely divisive. Reminded me of Cronenberg

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 2

Reviews will be allowed only when it drops, Wan asked that apparently and WB is asking critics to doesn't reveal anything major about it.

But if you're go to Letterboxd there's plenty reviews already, and they're in general pretty good. I read some very exciting things there... It seems like an completely original, twisted, messy camp movie, something that rarely came out from a big studio.

I'm curious if critics will destroy this or embrace the chaos, audience tho from what i read will probably hate this.

But anyway this doesn't need to make money, WB clearly let Wan do it just for him to come back for a billionaire Aquaman 2 which will pay for itself and for Malignant.

22 hours ago, ScareLol said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. What a ride this was. Great set designs, over the top gore and the villain is iconic. Comedy is a bit cringe tho. See it without reading about it and you will enjoy it more. Will be extremely divisive. Reminded me of Cronenberg

Nice. I’m excited for this now. 

This might have a decent opening courtesy of curious Conjuring fans, but I'm fully expecting this to drop by at least 70% in its second weekend. It sounds borderline insane, and I'm not sure people outside of avid horror fans are going to be into that. After all, we saw what happened when The Suicide Squad, a Troma shlockfest disguised as a blockbuster, bombed as hard as it did. We'll see.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This might have a decent opening courtesy of curious Conjuring fans, but I'm fully expecting this to drop by at least 70% in its second weekend. It sounds borderline insane, and I'm not sure people outside of avid horror fans are going to be into that. After all, we saw what happened when The Suicide Squad, a Troma shlockfest disguised as a blockbuster, bombed as hard as it did. We'll see.

I love the sound of this then. I couldn’t care less what the casuals think lol. 

You’ve just reminded me how much I can’t wait to rewatch The Suicide Squad on 4K disc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

We all also expected Old and Candyman to be rejected by audiences, so let's see what happens. I'm actually hyped for this movie.

It's not even on the same level of those two. This is much more extreme than Old or Candyman

Reviews are all over the place. Most of them talk about the movie being camp and hilarious during the thirdact.

Thing is: I know nothing about the movie's plot. The trailer is seeling me another Supernatural or what seems to be another Supernatural movie. At least, that's the idea I got from the trailer.

Spoiler

I'm actually reading how this movie isn't Supernatural at all ( or at least, not supernatural like the trailer implies ), so I wonder how's that possible? The trailer literally shows a dark character disappearing in front of another character in matter of secs, once lights turn off/on. 

So, if what we see is what we'll get, then it's fine. If not, then I see people rejecting it.

This film is absolutely batshit insane. So many twists and turns and yes that third act is ridiculously crazy. I really liked it and do not get why this movie will be divisive. The film is very straightforward but i would get that the end twist for some would be a step too far. Great set pieces, it does not only take place at the house but at various cool locations. The music choices sometimes were a little jarring though. The first two acts were also very scary. I would definitely recommend people to watch this in a theater because i feel this is the first really scary ‘hide your eyes’ horror during this pandemic

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

This film is absolutely batshit insane. So many twists and turns and yes that third act is ridiculously crazy. I really liked it and do not get why this movie will be divisive. The film is very straightforward but i would get that the end twist for some would be a step too far. Great set pieces, it does not only take place at the house but at various cool locations. The music choices sometimes were a little jarring though. The first two acts were also very scary. I would definitely recommend people to watch this in a theater because i feel this is the first really scary ‘hide your eyes’ horror during this pandemic

disliked the trailer but this sold me. Not a Wan fan either but I'm totally down to experience pure insanity in theaters again. Big reason why I enjoyed Old so much despite not appreciating M. Night generally. The more wackadoo original movies from studios, the better. (And yes, I know Old was a book)

Sadly, I think this is destined to flop. Under 10m OW, I fear. The marketing and buzz has been weak. WB clearly has no idea how to market this and accepted it'll bobm

52 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Reviews are all over the place. Most of them talk about the movie being camp and hilarious during the thirdact.

Thing is: I know nothing about the movie's plot. The trailer is seeling me another Supernatural or what seems to be another Supernatural movie. At least, that's the idea I got from the trailer.

Reveal hidden contents

So, if what we see is what we'll get, then it's fine. If not, then I see people rejecting it.

Prepare yourself because nothing in the movie is directly supernatural.