A Marvel Fanboy

Haunted Mansion | July 28, 2023 | Tiffany Haddish, Lakeith Stanfield | Justin Simien directs, Katie Dippold writes

What I would give to see them give Jared Leto the final money shot of the trailer just for all the meltdowns lmao.

As is, this looks pretty fun and I like the production design here. This won't be the amazing GDT movie we deserve (yes I know there's Crimson Peak...I don't care), but I think this has potential.

1 minute ago, Eric Creed said:

What I would give to see them give Jared Leto the final money shot of the trailer just for all the meltdowns lmao.

As is, this looks pretty fun and I like the production design here. This won't be the amazing GDT movie we deserve (yes I know there's Crimson Peak...I don't care), but I think this has potential.

Pretty sure we got a glimpse of Leto in the trailer at 1:09 since he's playing the Hatbox Ghost (and it looks like they're keeping the character in the movie close in design to the one from the attraction).

This looks entertaining.

That looks pretty good. Like Disney++++ quality. Surprised it's getting dropped mid-summer though. This seems like a more reliable success in October.  Right now, opening the week after the Barbie/Oppenheimer double whammy, and the week before the Oscar hopefuls The Meg 2/TMNT's 4th reboot, this is going to be lost in the mix.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

That looks pretty good. Like Disney++++ quality. Surprised it's getting dropped mid-summer though. This seems like a more reliable success in October.  Right now, opening the week after the Barbie/Oppenheimer double whammy, and the week before the Oscar hopefuls The Meg 2/TMNT's 4th reboot, this is going to be lost in the mix.

I know they're not as streaming forward anymore but a summer release gets it on Disney+ by October where it'll probably do better?

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I know they're not as streaming forward anymore but a summer release gets it on Disney+ by October where it'll probably do better?

On paper, what do you think would be more valuable to Disney, releasing this in the middle of a packed late Summer schedule with D+ around Halloween, or a theatrical release during the proper season with a D+ release in the spring?

IMO if Disney is prioritizing the D+ release timing over theatrical timing, then just debut this on D+. This current strategy makes little sense to me.

I mean I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, and spooky horror stuff has always been a summer staple, but they still could have put this in the same late September date as stuff like Hotel Transylvania or Hocus Pocus 2 and probably get way more interest from kids who want to get into the Halloween spirit rather than be awkwardly jammed in a packed summer season. But I guess it's still different enough from a lot of the other movies surrounding it outside of Ninja Turtles that it will probably be fine.

• Like 1

Looking at the schedule, this might be the last potential $100M+ grosser of the summer unless something in August surprises, so the goal with the release date is likely to ensure solid staying power from the dog days of summer in August through the fall, which should be easy to achieve if reviews/WOM end up really solid.

• Disbelief 1