Eric Atreides

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Somehow, I don't think they wrote in their figures and posted the article within 2 minutes of reading the forum. :ph34r:

Pre-wrote it and plugged in the numbers. :ph34r: Then added in a CYA comment about the West Coast at the last second. 👍

• Haha 5

Just now, Porthos said:

Pre-wrote it and plugged in the numbers. :ph34r: Then added in a CYA comment about the West Coast at the last second. 👍

Makes sense. I think you're on to sometihng.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, a2k said:

Looking at Porthos's late comps thinking 6.2 previews. magic-ball-crystal-oJBlRX5-600.jpg

Also, you can't spell Porthos without rth :thinking:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 

(I'll settle for being his herald ;))

Anywho, that guesstimate is close to what I was thinking:

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I already said why I didn't like the KotM comp, which is why I nuked it.  For the record it pointed to 6.72m, not too far off the JW:FK comp.  

Speaking of, I think that is way too high.  If only for 3D and more PLF.

Didn't realize I stopped tracking on Wick 3 as early as I did, but that was a pretty half-hearted off the cuff track anyway, so I don't personally put too much weight into it.   

On the other hand, I was surprised that the DP2 comp was as good as it was.  On the other other hand, DP2's PLF proportion of tickets sold was three times better than H&S.

All in all, and taking other cities into account, think I'll call for a flat 6m in previews, +/- .4m.

Late PLF and no 3D hurts this something fierce.  I say late PLF because while some theaters sold PLF tickets by the bucketload today, other theaters which added at the last second sold a fraction.  There won't be as many kids tickets I think as well.  But all in all, much much muuuuuuch better than it looked.

But I think the hole was too big to crawl out of for much more than 6m.  And even that seems like a bit of a limb to go out on.  Could be 5.5m.  Hell, could be as low as 5 to 5.25m.  But I think I'll stick with 6m simply because the walkups look to be accelerating, which could mean a relative over-performance.

But I also wanted to account for lack of 3D and late PLF, so I bumped it down a bit.  Perhaps not enough thou and should have maybe called for 5.5m instead.  

Find out soon enuf. :)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hmmmm....

Hmmmm....

Posted at 6:27pm PDT in the tracking thread

Story posted at 6:29pm PDT on Deadline

tenor.gif?itemid=5319823

Also....

Posted by Yours Truly ALSO at 6:27pm PDT 

tenor.gif?itemid=5319823

tenor.gif?itemid=5319823

tenor.gif?itemid=5319823

Hide contents

I'm not seriously accusing Deadline of anything here.  But I find the timing (and the comment about the West Coast) pretty funny. :lol:

But did you lie? :sherlock:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

What do you mean by wink?

You have to have seen another movie in order to get the joke. It's a joke that Statham says to the rock, with a straight face. There was a tiny bit of laughter and recognition in my theater when the joke came up. But if you're familiar with some of the films that Jason Statham has done in the past, the joke absolutely kills.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

You have to have seen another movie in order to get the joke. It's a joke that Statham says to the rock, with a straight face. There was a tiny bit of laughter and recognition in my theater when the joke came up. But if you're familiar with some of the films that Jason Statham has done in the past, the joke absolutely kills.

can you PM me which joke was that? :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

My theater seemed to enjoy Hobbs and Shaw immensely as well. Lots of laughter and everyone seemed to be talking positively about it on the way out.

There's a few really good Winx in the movie, and one of them is the best wink I've seen in a film since Eddie Murphy gave the money to the bums in coming to America.

You mean the certain type of vehicle in the garage?

Also...H&S is quite possibly the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen. It doesn't quite embrace the insanity to go full comedy like Deadpool does, so it sort of has some weird tonal shifts at time, but... yeah, it's quite possibly even more over the top than I was expecting from the trailers. More insane than the 7th and 8th Furious movies. I think if audiences embrace its tongue-in-cheek, OTT nature, it will have good legs. I definitely enjoyed it more than F8.

Considering this is a movie that actually exists, I am going to step up my campaign for Universal to do Fast World: Furious Jurassic, as the third entry in the JW franchise. Who better to track down all those escaped dinosaurs being weaponized than THE BEST TRACKERS IN THE WORLD? Hell, have most of the dinosaurs being controlled by Eteon. All works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Also...H&S is quite possibly the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen. It doesn't quite embrace the insanity to go full comedy like Deadpool does, so it sort of has some weird tonal shifts at time, but... yeah, it's quite possibly even more over the top than I was expecting from the trailers. More insane than the 7th and 8th Furious movies. I think if audiences embrace its tongue-in-cheek, OTT nature, it will have good legs. I definitely enjoyed it more than F8.

Considering this is a movie that actually exists, I am going to step up my campaign for Universal to do Fast World: Furious Jurassic, as the third entry in the JW franchise. Who better to track down all those escaped dinosaurs being weaponized than THE BEST TRACKERS IN THE WORLD? Hell, have most of the dinosaurs being controlled by Eteon. All works.

372z7r.jpg

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Holy shit Universal please make this happen.

You know what I'd like, for one of the major studios to do a crossover film with all their franchises. Just a one-off non-canon film that crosses universes, timelines, etc. 

So Universal... Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Mummy, Fast&Furious, The Grinch, Jason Bourne and Michael Myers, etc

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

5M? It bombed. Will do low 40s for the weekend.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

So speaking with RTH, here's what he said about preview numbers and why nobody really has access to them.

"Previews are blocked to most (hence why no source really has access). It's basically the distributor, exhibitors(some level of access) and a  few others"

So let's just wait until we get an actual number first before believing whatever it is a deadline says to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Holy shit Universal please make this happen.

Fast&Furious, Michael Myers, etc

Wouldn’t mind seeing Michael Myers ruin the whole cast of the Fast and Furious films tbh. Including this new one lol