Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Midnight showings for SS look very busy, also seeing a lot of full shows tomorrow evening well into the later hours of the night. It's going to have a massive OD for sure, probably the biggest day of its OW, wouldnt surprise me if takes in around £4m, and then a drop off to £3.5m Saturday and £3m Sunday for £10.5m ($13.8m) 3 day.

Of course it could do lower, say £9m or so, but pre sales are definitely swaying me. 

• Like 3

Daytime business for Suicide Squad is looking very, very good, especially considering it is rated 15, so not exactly 'family friendly'. Lots of sellouts tonight, eager to see what the OD figure will be. I wonder if it can top CW's £4.5m. It won't top BvS, which had an absolutely mosntrous £6.4m OD, but that was due to Good Friday. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Can't believe that it did £8.1M in the week kudos to Dory. Amazing money for it doing the same amount of business in 4 days as the opening weekend. Deserving film too.

I would guess Dory is more adult skewing compare to other kids film, similar to The Jungle Book and to an extent The BFG. The showing i went to last week was mostly adults

14 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Can't believe that it did £8.1M in the week kudos to Dory. Amazing money for it doing the same amount of business in 4 days as the opening weekend. Deserving film too.

So is this good?

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Yes, that is excellent. Huge Mon-Thu for Dory! Should be near £21m already by Sunday, if it continues with these huge weekdays, £40m should be a problem. 

I think the second weekend drop will be 50% which will be around £4m. 

SS it's absolutely blowing up! I'm seeing so many sellouts everywhere, way more than Civil War, and even BvS from what I can remember, although highly doubt it reaches the lattters number. Still, expect a massive OD. Cineworld Glasgow has sold out every single show until 10pm tonight, most places I've checked are full up from now until 10 or 11 tonight, and even those show times are looking busy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

SS it's absolutely blowing up! I'm seeing so many sellouts everywhere, way more than Civil War, and even BvS from what I can remember, although highly doubt it reaches the lattters number. Still, expect a massive OD. Cineworld Glasgow has sold out every single show until 10pm tonight, most places I've checked are full up from now until 10 or 11 tonight, and even those show times are looking busy. 

I think Cineworld Glasgow had already sold out some showings as it was the opening of the 4DX screen.

Both Civil War and BvS had bank holidays, two in the case of BvS which Suicide Squad doesn't have so its possible Saturday and Sunday will be a tad higher than those 

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Any OD numbers @Rth

Wouldn't be be surprised if it's near £5m, Vue Westfield's 5 past midnight showing is about half full, which is absolutely nuts. 

going to end up just short of CACW OD see how it hold Sat if change to top it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rth said:

going to end up just short of CACW OD see how it hold Sat if change to top it

That's great! So around £4.5m? CW made £14.4m 3-day, would be incredible if SS matched it.

Even if it doesn't though, an OW of £12-13m would be very impressive, and well above expectations.

Weather today is amazing too, which will likely hinder it. 

Edited by Heretic

5 hours ago, Heretic said:

That's great! So around £4.5m? CW made £14.4m 3-day, would be incredible if SS matched it.

Even if it doesn't though, an OW of £12-13m would be very impressive, and well above expectations.

Weather today is amazing too, which will likely hinder it. 

Think Dory might be hurt more by the weather. I suspect that a lot of families are taking a "save this for a rainy day" approach with that one, whereas SS has that "see it now" factor which gives it a high floor in the face of the sunshine.

Genuine question - when there's outright heatwave conditions (like we got on the 19th) do cinemas get hurt even more than in standard "lovely weather" like today's, or do they get a boost from people desperately seeking something to do in an air-conditioned space?