Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

38 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

That £13m - £27m isn't looking so crazy now is it :P 

The reddit guy seems to indicate that presales are huge for this, indicating that something like 4-7-5 could be possible for a humungous £16m OW... 

True still 16m is no where near a £27m altime crazy gross 😛 

5 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

I dont understand what hyped the UK so much about this movie... I went to the midnight screening (I do with every superhero movie) and it was pretty packed. Nothing in the marketing suggested it at all. Its weird.

1. MCU reputation

2. Appetizer before Endgame

3. Connection to Endgame

3 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

But why didnt Ant Man 2 even outgross the original after IW? 

I don't know really. I'm not from the UK. Just guessing the possible reasons. I was also thrown off guard by how huge the OS numbers are. When the 1st trailer came out, I predicted a $600M worldwide after the divisive reaction ("generic" "boring" "she didn't smile enough!").

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

I don't know really. I'm not from the UK. Just guessing the possible reasons. I was also thrown off guard by how huge the OS numbers are. When the 1st trailer came out, I predicted a $600M worldwide after the divisive reaction ("generic" "boring" "she didn't smile enough!").

Yeah this is just too weird to me, from the trailers they just play it as another mcu origin movie, not a must see like civil war (which it could outgross).  Was the IW post credit scene really that impactful to the box office?

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I didn't guess the BO, but I understand your expectations after that

1 minute ago, boxofficenerd said:

Yeah this is just too weird to me, from the trailers they just play it as another mcu origin movie, not a must see like civil war (which it could outgross).  Was the IW post credit scene really that impactful to the box office?

Me, female, wait for a fem lead in the MCU since long (and other movies). Knew per then announcement, got really happy about the IW credit scene (but thought it was to hint hint, not enough)

Holy fucking shit! 

That's probably £8m+ at least without even this evening or tomorrow 😮 

Could we even be looking at £4-£8-£6 or something now? Perhaps even beating BP's 6-day opening???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Highly unlikely this would double OD. Perhaps a Saturday between £5.5-6m. For comparison, Age of Ultron at the time of opening had a £6.2m Saturday which was the biggest ever for Disney and a superhero film. CM could potentially challenge that, although IW now holds the all time Saturday record with a whopping £9.2m. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Heretic said:

Apart from Infitinty War and AoU, I think Captain Marvel looks likely to have the highest 3-day opening for a film in the MCU. GotG2 is next highest with £13.1m. 

Really good hold Sunday it will  top GOTG2 (under -17%),atm looking more like 12.7-9

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago

blasts off in the UK with projected three-day £12.9m opening

According to overnight projections from Disney, Captain Marvel has started its UK box office with an impressive £12.9m three-day return.

The opening would be the highest ... MCU .... introducing a singular character,..Thor (£5.4m), Captain America (£3m), Doctor Strange (£9.3m), Deadpool (£10m three-day) and Black Panther (£10.5m three-day).

Black Panther ... Tuesday ... in February 2018, adding previews for an overall £18m bow. .... a huge £50.6m ...

... sits between Iron Man 3, ... opened.. £11.4... £37m in the UK, and Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, ... £13.1m ...£41m.

The Captain Marvel result is a much-needed one for UK cinemas. In the year to-date, the period January-February, box office takings had been 24% down on the same period in 2018, equating to £57m. ....

More to come…

https://www.screendaily.com/news/captain-marvel-blasts-off-in-the-uk-with-projected-three-day-129m-opening/5137530.article

• Like 3

and now they updated the rest

Captain Marvel …. £12.8m opening this weekend.

…. See earlier post

Fighting With My Family -37%... £1m …£3.7m

The LEGO Movie 2 .. £810,000 ….£16.8m

Instant Family … £670,000 …. £9m

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World sum £18m …+ £651,113.

Everybody Knows … 54 locations £110,481 + £4,887  previews for an average of £2,046, the third best in the top 20 .

Mary Queen Of Scots  £22,383 …. £9m

Green Book -32% …. £505,938 … £8.4m

On The Basis Of Sex .. £96,323 … £1.3m

Vice sum  £4m

If Beale Street Could Talk sum £1.5m

Stan & Ollie sum £10.4m.

The Aftermath -56% .. £259,204 … £1.3m

The Kid Who Would Be King sum £3.3m +£179,610 WE.

Alita: Battle Angel added £168,947 …., - 70% sum £9m

The Favourite sum £16.5m

Bohemian Rhapsody sum £54.5m.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? Sum  £2m

Sleeping Beauty, … Bolshoi Ballet … one-day cinema £175,491 from 152 sites, with 14 further to report. The film will have an additional 16 encores and those are likely to push it to £200,000

Cold Pursuit added £134,168 … £1.7m.

The Kindergarten Teacher, … a three-day gross of £48,023 from 76 sites. Incl- previews £61,035

Maiden …£45,278, incl. previews 16 screens.

Free Solo is up to £2m, adding £35,493 this weekend.

Border … a full 16-week theatrical window, meaning it could play in Picturehouse cinemas. London’s Hackney Picturehouse was the second highest-grossing from its 49 sites as the film returned a three-day total of £41,883. With previews, its gross to date is £79,773.

Capernaum £39,151….. £357,478

The Hole In The Ground   £38,109 …£190,693.

Ray & Liz,  £11,484 from 13 screens WE + previews = £20,148.

A Private War took £8,613, bringing it to £478,236 so far.

Scotch – The Golden Dram, Including previews, £3,901 from 22 screens, primarily on single showings.

Foxtrot, …in 16 sites  £2,468…. £36,974.

• Thanks 1

Top Playdates

All CW

1-Imax Southbank

2-Vue Westfield London

3-CW Sheffield

4-CW Crawley

5-NAC Showcase Bluwater

6-CW Leicester Square

(Combined with Odeon #15 easy #1). Odeon's high ticket prices and way under CW

7-CW Glasgow

8-CW Basildon

9-CW Dublin

10-Vue Manchester

11-CW Milton Keynes

12-Odeon Metrocentre

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rthmar-vell said:

Top Playdates

All CW

1-Imax Southbank

2-Vue Westfield London

3-CW Sheffield

4-CW Crawley

5-NAC Showcase Bluwater

6-CW Leicester Square

(Combined with Odeon #15 easy #1). Odeon's high ticket prices and way under CW

7-CW Glasgow

8-CW Basildon

9-CW Dublin

10-Vue Manchester

11-CW Milton Keynes

12-Odeon Metrocentre

100% expected that.. Was sooooo busy there this weekend (and saw lots of sellouts too)