Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Looking ahead to March and it's looking better than previous years although top heavy although the end of the month. I think Insurgent should increase from Divergent but by how much, I'm not sure. Chappie should do well as will Run All Night. Easter has three big family films in the shape of Home, Spongebob and Cinderella, I think Home will do okay in its first weekend plus previews but I think it'll be hit hard by both Spongebob which also has previews and Cinderella, the latter has strong reviews and will appeal to the same audience who liked Maleficent. Get Hard I don't see doing great. 

How do people think Home, Cinderella and SpongeBob will do?

Personally I think Home looks fantastic and Cinderella should do pretty well, but I don't know how relevant SpongeBob is these days to UK audiences?

We're packed with Marigold Hotel today.. it's done more than Fifty Shades opening day here :lol:

• Like 1

Personally I think Home looks fantastic and Cinderella should do pretty well, but I don't know how relevant SpongeBob is these days to UK audiences?

We're packed with Marigold Hotel today.. it's done more than Fifty Shades opening day here :lol:

You must be somewhere similar to Eastbourne ;)

Marigold is like the Avengers for old people! 

Cinderella isn't in 3D which may affect its OW but it also has the Frozen short. I think Home probably will do Turbo numbers. I'm surprised Disney hasn't opted for weekend previews for Cinderella or even a Mother's Day preview on the 15th similar to Big Hero 6. 

Cinderella will be massive. It opens right on top of two weeks of Easter holidays. Maleficent did $32m, I wouldn't put it past Cinderella to top 32m pounds, which'd be around $50m. More of an 'Alice' than a Maleficent, BO wise.

Edited by Heretic

Cinderella will be massive. It opens right on top of two weeks of Easter holidays. Maleficent did $32m, I wouldn't put it past Cinderella to top 32m pounds, which'd be around $50m. More of an 'Alice' than a Maleficent, BO wise.

£30m+ might be tricky for Cinderella because Fast and Furious 7 is the week after but £20m-25m is doable

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel checks into UK top spot with estimated £3.8m bow, including previews.

Very nice opening.

Focus lands in UK with around £1.95m from 574 screens, as Fifty Shades of Grey looks set to cross £30m mark.

Fox’s sequel scores $5.8m (£3.74m) debut, including previews, to dethrone Fifty Shades of Grey; Universal’s raunchy adaptation crosses £30m mark after 17 days in play.

The grey pound has proved potent again at the UK box office as The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel opened at number one.

Fox’s sequel checked into the chart with a $5.8m (£3.74m) bow, including just over $1.1m (£700,000) in previews, from 589 sites. It’s worth noting that the film’s Fri-Sun tally of $4.7m (£3.04m) would have also seen it dethrone Fifty Shades of Grey.

The debut is up on its predecessor’s $3.4m (£2.2m) debut from 504 sites before it went on to take $31.4m (£20.4m), a target that should be surpassed by the sequel especially as it’s likely to prosper midweek given its older-skewing audience.

Also for Fox, Kingsman: The Secret Service shot to an extra $1m (£667,464) for $22.4m (£14.55m) and will soon become Matthew Vaughn’s best-ever UK performer, while Birdman boosted 37% following its Oscar wins and has now grossed $8.7m (£5.67m).

Selma has marched to $4.2m (£2.75m) after four weeks in play.

UNIVERSAL

It may have been prevented from a third straight week as the UK’s number one, but Fifty Shades of Grey had a different milestone to celebrate this weekend as it crossed the £30m mark after 17 days in play.

Universal’s adaptation fell 51% on its way to a $3.4m (£2.24m) third weekend for a terrific $46.6m (£30.3m) to date. It will now be setting its sights on finishing over £35m at the UK box office and given what it’s done so far, you wouldn’t bet against it.

Also for Universal, The Boy Next Door opened with $625,000 (£406,000) from its 337 sites to chart seventh. That’s at least ahead of director Rob Cohen’s previous UK outing, Alex Cross, which bowed to $349,000 (£226,780) from 212 sites.

The Theory of Everything has now reached $31.7m (£20.6m) after nine weeks in play.

WARNER BROS

Landing in 458 sites, Focus got off to a healthy $2.9m (£1.9m) start in the UK to see it chart third.

Warner Bros’ con artist drama scored co-directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa’s best-ever debut, ahead of I Love You Phillip Morris’ $1.6m (£1.1m) from 342 sites, and will soon become their highest grossing film, currently the $5.2m (£3.4m) result of Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Also for Warner Bros, American Sniper took a further $259,000 (£168,000) for $20.7m (£13.4m) after seven weeks in play, while Jupiter Ascending is now up to $6.5m (£4.2m) following a $216,000 (£140,000) fourth weekend.

Cake dropped heavily in its second weekend and has so far grossed $336,000 (£218,000).

DISNEY

Dropping to fourth was Big Hero 6 with a $1.9m (£1.2m) fifth weekend. Disney’s animation is now up to $27.2m (£17.7m) and will see have its eye on crossing the £20m mark.

STUDIOCANAL

Shaun the Sheep Movie rounded off this week’s top five with a $1.55m (£1m) fourth weekend. StudioCanal’s big screen adaptation is now up to $17.9m (£11.6m).

Also for StudioCanal, Paddington and The Imitation Game have reached $57m (£37.07m) and $25m (£16.3m), respectively, while well-received thriller Catch Me Daddy could only post a $41,000 (£26,584) debut from its 23 sites with one still to report.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Critically acclaimed horror It Follows scared up a respectable non-final $570,000 (£370,442) from its 190 sites through Icon Film Distribution.

The debut is ahead of stablemate The Babadook which bowed with $534,000 (£347,512), albeit from fewer sites at 147. Like that film, It Follows will hope that its strong reviews and word-of-mouth will prevent it from the usual fast burn nature of horrors at the UK box office.

SONY

The Wedding Ringer followed up its solid opening with a $570,000 (£370,000) second weekend for a running tally of $2.8m (£1.8m) through Sony.

PARAMOUNT

Falling over 50% (excluding previews) in its second weekend, Paramount’s Project Almanac added $210,000 (£136,000) for $1.8m (£1.16m) to date.

ARTIFICIAL EYE

Currently playing in 22 sites, Artificial Eye’s The Duke of Burgundy is up to $143,000 (£92,499) after a $32,000 (£20,712) second weekend.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s Unfinished Business and Sony’s Chappie, while Curzon Film World’s Still Alice receives a wide release.

Universal’s Kill the Messenger, Metrodome’s Hyena and Peccadillo Pictures’ Appropriate Behaviour are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 3

Tom Linay @TomLinay

Had confirmation that week commencing 13 Feb saw 6.26m admissions. Biggest week since first week of Skyfall and second biggest in 10 yrs.

edit to add:

Tom Linay @TomLinay

You have to go back to 28/5/2004 to find a bigger week. That week saw the release of Harry Potter 3 and The Day After Tomorrow and saw 6.8m.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 4

Tom Linay @TomLinay

Had confirmation that week commencing 13 Feb saw 6.26m admissions. Biggest week since first week of Skyfall and second biggest in 10 yrs.

edit to add:

Tom Linay @TomLinay

You have to go back to 28/5/2004 to find a bigger week. That week saw the release of Harry Potter 3 and The Day After Tomorrow and saw 6.8m.

Nice, down to 50 Shades mainly.

Not the only country 50SoG helped to bring up the monthly or similar numbers.

See e.g. Germany (but that has other high results local... movies too for the moment). Baymax/Big Hero 6 and Taken 3 also helped...

Last year via e.g. football/soccer very much down (later in the year), this year up = before the 'crash' of admissions

As in: January & February combined top 10 movies ~ 20% up