Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

43 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

35m will be a bit tough right? Though Minions still made some money while IO is playing last summer. But maybe 35m is a bit much?

With summer anything is possible. Depends how hard Dory hits it, if it stabilises after, it could have a very leggy run like past animations during the summer have had. DM2 especially, it just kept going. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That's a really poor opening for Star Trek. Into Darkness opened with £8.4m, albeit with a 4-day opening, but still. 

Cumberbatch power.

Hopefully it can have some good legs. 

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

So how much is Finding Dory and Suicide Squad looking at box office wise in the UK?

Finding Dory should be huge. There is definitely £50m+ potential. TS3 made £74m, but I doubt Dory will get quite that high.

And Suicide Squad should do really well too. Not sure how much the '15' rating is going to impact it (could even be a good thing), but I expect a massive opening (£10m+ possible), and the rest depends on reviews + wom.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Finding Dory should be huge. There is definitely £50m+ potential. TS3 made £74m, but I doubt Dory will get quite that high.

And Suicide Squad should do really well too. Not sure how much the '15' rating is going to impact it (could even be a good thing), but I expect a massive opening (£10m+ possible), and the rest depends on reviews + wom.

Thanks. I was curious.

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just booked my ticket for Bourne on Wednesday night. Holy crap does it look busy! My 19:45 is practically a sell out! 

The last Bourne with Matt Damon did £6.5m with a Thursday opening, I think similar figures that can be achieved even against Finding Dory. 

Roald Dahl adaptation scores Steven Spielberg’s third-biggest three-day opening weekend.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The BFG (eOne) $6.97m (£5.3m) $6.97m (£5.3m)
2 Star Trek Beyond(Paramount) $6.21m (£4.74m) $6.21m (£4.74m)
3 André Rieu’s 2016 Maastricht Concert(CinemaLive) $1.84m (£1.4m) $1.84m (£1.4m)
4 Ghostbusters (Sony) $1.71m (£1.3m) $9.46m (£7.2m)
5 The Secret Life Of Pets (Universal) $1.59m (£1.21m) $36.8m (£28m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

EONE

Towering over the competition, The BFG fought off Star Trek Beyond to top the UK box office, despite the sunny weather.

eOne’s Roald Dahl adaptation amassed a whizzpopping $6.97m (£5.3m) from its 680 sites, marking the third-best three-day weekend for Steven Spielberg behind onlyWar Of The Worlds and Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull.

Comparatively, it’s a stronger opening for the film than in any other territory worldwide to date. The 680-site release is also on par with the scale of release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens during its first week.

Overall, it marks the best opening for Spielberg since The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn which posted a $8.88m (£6.76m) debut in 2011, including $4.28m (£3.25m) in previews, and his fifth-biggest of all time in the UK.

In terms of recent Roald Dahl adaptations in the UK, The BFG opened below Charlie And The Chocolate Factory’s $10.5m (£7.98m) from 531 sites, but that film benefitted from the powerhouse (at the time) combination of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

The BFG will soon overtake the final UK tally of Wes Anderson’s stop-motion animation version of Fantastic Mr. Fox, which grossed $11.87m (£9.03m) back in 2009.

Also for eOne, Now You See Me 2 has now conjured up $7.5m (£5.71m) following a $423,000 (£321,438) third weekend.

PARAMOUNT

Battling both the weather and The BFG, Star Trek Beyond had to settle for second on its UK bow.

Paramount’s latest mission for the USS Enterprise crew phased to a $6.21m (£4.74m) opening from its 535 sites. For director Justin Lin, that’s only ahead of his first Fast & Furious film, Tokyo Drift.

Beyond’s debut was also down on Star Trek’s $7.82m (£5.95m) debut from 499 sites and Star Trek Into Darkness’ $11.08m (£8.43m) bow from 554 sites, which did include $2.06m (£1.57m) in previews.

This coming weekend will give a clearer indication if audiences stayed away due to the good weather in the UK, given that sequels are usually front-loaded.

CINEMALIVE

For CinemaLive, André Rieu’s consistently popular annual Maastricht concert enjoyed another record-breaking debutwith $1.84m (£1.4m) over Saturday and Sunday.

SONY

Following its successful opening, Ghostbusters fell around 50% (excluding previews) with a $1.71m (£1.3m) second weekend.

Sony’s much-talked about reboot has captured $9.46m (£7.2m) after 14 days in play, and led the UK market from Mon-Thurs. It will hope to surpass Spy’s $13.14m (£10m) result to become Paul Feig’s second-best UK result.

UNIVERSAL

The Secret Life Of Pets remained the UK’s most popular animation with a $1.59m (£1.21m) fifth weekend.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment release now stands at a strong $36.8m (£28m) and could hit £30m by the end of this coming weekend. However, Finding Dorywill provide the toughest competition of its run to date.

With schools off on summer holidays though, The Secret Life Of Pets should post healthy midweek numbers in its attempt to potentially reach £35m.

Also for Universal, Central Intelligence shot to a further $403,000 (£306,271) for $10.5m (£7.99m) after four weeks in play.

LIONSGATE

In its second and final weekend of performances, Secret Cinema’s production of Lionsgate’s Dirty Dancing took $1.25m (£953,520) for a final haul of $2.5m (£1.9m) from its six dates.

WARNER BROS

Falling almost 60%, Warner Bros’ The Legend Of Tarzanswung to an $829,000 (£631,000) third weekend for a solid $10.64m (£8.1m) to date, but could miss out on the £10m mark.

Also for Warner Bros, The Conjuring 2 and Me Before You stand at $14.19m (£10.8m) and $12.48m (£9.5m), respectively.

FOX

Dropping more than 50% (excluding previews), Fox’s Ice Age: Collision Course couldn’t bounce back from its soft opening with $757,000 (£575,973) for $6.61m (£5.03m) to date.

With further competition arriving in Finding Dory this Friday [July 29], Collision Course will end as the lowest grosser of the series, currently Ice Age’s $19.83m (£15.09m) result.

Also for Fox, Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie continued its excellent run with a $594,000 (£451,881) fourth weekend for a terrific $19.19m (£14.6m) to date.

Independence Day: Resurgence stands at $15.74m (£11.98m) after five weeks in play.

STUDIOCANAL

Released in 28 sites through Studiocanal, LFF 2015 Best Film winner Chevalier posted a UK bow of $24,000 (£18,167).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Disney’s Finding Dory and Universal’s Jason Bourne (opens July 27).

Curzon Artificial Eye’s The Commune, Dogwoof’sAuthor: The JT LeRoy Story and Studiocanal’s Tradersare among the films receiving a limited release.

Really fantastic opening for BFG, wasn't expecting that at all. Even with Dory, it should have a nice run throughout August, I can see it topping £20m, and possibly reaching £25m or more.

Meh for Star Trek, with Bourne, Dory and Suicide Squad all coming, it's run will probably be rather unimpressive. May struggle for much more than £15m.

Pets still doing well, the ER is just SO weak right now, its awful. Make its BO,and other films, look much less impressive than they are. Dory will be the same. A huge gross of £50m is only $65m, which isn't even that big for the UK.

IA5 is Performing horrendously. Just wow. What a fall from its predecessors. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

This weekend will be an absolutely massive one, the biggest since Civil War opened, if not bigger.

If anything has the potential to top Minions as the biggest 3-day animated opening (£11.7m), its Dory. The only thing working against it is the fact that there have been a few films recently that have catered well for families. Pets is a £30m+ grosser, and BFG just had a big opening. Last year, even though Jurassic World was a monster before Minions, there were no animated hits since March when 'Home' opened.

Anyway, I think it'll just miss the 3-day record, with £10.5m. For comparison, TS3 opened to £11.5m, Shrek 2 £10.6m, Shrek 3 £10.3m, and DM2 £10m. All are 3-day figures, but all had previews beforehand, so Dory could potentially do more as no demand has been burnt off. Then again, there's also no rush as its summer holidays now.

Bourne pre-sales look strong, I expect around £6m 5-day.

As for BFG, even with Dory, I don't expect a fall over 50%. Probably a 2nd weekend near £3m, and ST probably around £2m.

• Like 4

Even if The BFG does fall 50% summer weekdays will more than make up for it and there's room for both it and Dory. 

Looking ahead, I think Suicide Squad will open big, I'm not sure about £10m+ OW which would be brilliant but I think it could do £7-8m easily. In terms of August releases, the top three are The Inbetweeners Movie, The Inbetweeners 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. SS probably won't beat The Inbetweeners films as they had previews but it wouldn't surprise me if they clinch the three day August opening record 

Edited by Jonwo