Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

£8.2m is still impressive for an animated film considering it had no previews. I imagine Bourne is £7m+ with previews. 

Suicide Squad will be interesting to see, I doubt the 15 rating will impact it much. I'm expecting £7-8m for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

£8.2m is still impressive for an animated film considering it had no previews. I imagine Bourne is £7m+ with previews. 

Suicide Squad will be interesting to see, I doubt the 15 rating will impact it much. I'm expecting £7-8m for it.

About 7.6M($10.2m)

I imagine Dory will have strong weekday business. 

For Suicide Squad, I can see it coming close to Deadpool's opening. That had a £13.7m 5 day, but £10m over Fri-Sun, which would be a good target for SS.bBuzz is definitely there, and pre sales look very strong. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I imagine Dory will have strong weekday business. 

For Suicide Squad, I can see it coming close to Deadpool's opening. That had a £13.7m 5 day, but £10m over Fri-Sun, which would be a good target for SS.bBuzz is definitely there, and pre sales look very strong. 

I'm thinking £7-8m but £10m wouldn't surprise me. Warner Bros has marketed it really heavily on par with BvS. 

Toy Story 3's £11.49M Fri-Sun opening is the biggest for Pixar. Previews were £9.7M. Excluding previews, it earned £64.3M

64.3/11.49*8.2=45.87

That is just under the £46.0M of TJB. Hopefully FD can hold stronger than TS3 and come closer to £50M.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Holy shit, BFG is at £14.4m already! That means it made nearly £10m this week. No wonder it's affecting Dory. Could make a run for £30m at this rate. It'll come close to the domestic total. 

I knew BFG would be successful but I didn't expect to hold so well against Dory. 

Universal’s Jason Bourne shoots to series-high opening with strong confirmed $10m (£7.6m) bow.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Finding Dory(Disney) $10.7m (£8.1m) $10.7m (£8.1m)
2 Jason Bourne(Universal) $10m (£7.59m) $10m (£7.59m)
3 The BFG (eOne) $4.4m (£3.36m) $19.1m (£14.47m)
4 Star Trek Beyond(Paramount) $3.1m (£2.31m) $13.5m (£10.2m)
5 The Secret Life Of Pets (Universal) $961,000 (£728,900) $40.3m (£30.54m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

DISNEY

In the battle of the amnesiac leads, Finding Dory has beaten Jason Bourne to the top of the UK box office.

Disney/Pixar’s latest charge swam to a terrific $10.7m (£8.1m) debut from its 580 sites for a strong $18,457 (£13,966) site average. Overall, it’s the second-biggest animated debut this year, behind The Secret Life Of Pets, but the biggest three-day animated tally.

In terms of Pixar outings in the UK, it ranks as the fourth-biggest overall. However, based solely on Fri-Sun, it marks the second-biggest opening behind only Toy Story 3’s $15.2m (£11.49m).

Based on Fri-Sun tallies, Finding Dory ranks as the seventh-biggest opening Fri-Sun of all time for animated films.

With the school holidays in full swing, expect Finding Doryto keep on swimming strongly throughout the coming weeks. From a $9.8m (£7.38m) opening, Finding Nemowent on to take $49.6m (£37.5m) in the UK.

UNIVERSAL

Jason Bourne might not have taken the top spot, but it still posted the biggest opening of the series to date.

Universal’s action sequel shot to a strong confirmed $10m (£7.6m) from its 563 sites, including $3m (£2.29m) in previews, to surpass The Bourne Ultimatum’s $8.6m (£6.55m) from 458 sites, including $1.64m (£1.24m) in previews.

In terms of Fri-Sun tallies, Jason Bourne’s $6.98m (£5.31m) is neck-and-neck with Ultimatum’s $7m (£5.31m) as the best Fri-Sun haul of the series.

The Bourne Ultimatum is also currently the highest-grossing outing of the series with $31.7m (£24m). Jason Bourne will have to fight off stiff competition from Suicide Squad this coming Friday [Aug 5] to surpass that.

Also for Universal, The Secret Life Of Pets has become the fifth film this year to hit £30m.

Illumination Entertainment’s animation fell a respectable 40% in the face of Finding Dory’s arrival, hopping to an extra $961,000 (£728,900) for a superb $40.3m (£30.54m) after six weeks in play.

Central Intelligence stands at $11m (£8.32m) after five weeks in play.

EONE

The BFG fell only 37% from its chart-topping opening with a non-final $4.4m (£3.36m) second weekend from its 675 sites.

eOne’s Roald Dahl adaptation enjoyed a giant first Mon-Thurs as it amassed almost $7.9m (£6m), with its second weekend lifting it to a healthy $19.1m (£14.47m) after ten days in play.

The BFG will soon overtake the likes of The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn ($21.5m/£16.3m) andWar Horse ($24.6m/£18.63m) in terms of Steven Spielberg outings in the UK.

Also for eOne, Now You See Me 2 has now conjured up $8m (£6.06m) following a $139,000 (£105,153) fourth weekend.

PARAMOUNT

Star Trek Beyond fell around 50% on its way to a non-final $3.1m (£2.31m) second weekend.

Paramount’s latest mission for the USS Enterprise crew stands at $13.5m (£10.2m) after ten days in play, and can take comfort in its opening Mon-Thurs gross of more than $4m (£3m).

It will require more healthy midweek results to have any chance of catching Star Trek’s $28.3m (£21.4m) result. That film stood at $16m (£12.1m) at the same stage and was released in May, not during the summer holidays.

SONY

Falling 55% in its third weekend, Sony’s Ghostbusterscaptured $791,000 (£599,497) for $12m (£9.09m) after 21 days in play.

Paul Feig’s much-talked about reboot should become his second-best UK performer by the end of its run, currentlySpy’s $13.2m (£10m) result.

Also for Sony, big-budget Chinese fantasy League Of Gods posted an $11,000 (£8,349) UK bow from its 14 sites.

WARNER BROS

In its fourth week, Warner Bros’ The Legend Of Tarzanswung to an extra $272,000 (£206,000) for a solid $11.7m (£8.82m) to date.

FOX

Falling a hefty 68% in its third week, Fox’s Ice Age: Collision Course rolled to a non-final $247,000 (£187,548) for $8m (£6.06m). It will end its run as the lowest-grossing outing of the series.

Also for Fox, Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie took an additional $223,000 ($169,069) for an excellent $20.2m (£15.29m) to date.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

From its 23 sites through Curzon Artificial Eye, Thomas Vinterberg’s The Commune posted a UK debut of $33,000 (£25,028).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees a saturation release for Warner Bros’Suicide Squad, while Soda Pictures’ Up For Lovereceives a wide release.

ICO/Studiocanal’s re-release of Sid And Nancy and Eureka Entertainment’s Sweet Bean are among the films receiving a limited release.

@Heretic - based on Pets performance this weekend (-40%), can it have a shot at 35m pounds?

• Like 1

@MinaTakla It definitely has a chance now, it had a great week grossing £2.5m Mon-Sun, school holidays are definitely giving it a boost. Surprised it's holding so well seeing as it's facing the double whammy of both Dory and BFG. I expect it'll be over £32m by Sunday, so assuming it doesn't lose too many screens to SS this week, and Pete's Dragon next week, it could leg it to £34-35m. Might just fall short, but we'll see.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Dory is looking strong this week, I expect £7-8m Mon-Thu, and around £4.5m this weekend for a running total of about £20m. 

BFG should do another £3m Mon-Thu at least, and £1.5-2m this weekend for £19-20m, on its way to a total gross in the high 20s or low 30s.

What a year for family films it has been so far, especially summer.!Jungle Book with over £45m, Pets aiming for £35m, and BFG for £30m. Dory will attempt to challenge TJB for biggest film of the year so far. Moana could be another huge hit, I see over £30m for that. 

I think it's quite safe to say though, barring insanely good legs for Dory, that either Fantastic Beasts or Rogue Nation will win the year. Fantastic Beasts is more of a wildcard, but it will have a massive fan-driven opening and if it's good, it may get into Potter territory. 

Rogue Nation will have a big drop from TFA, no doubt about that, but I still see it topping £50m fairly easily, especially with the Christmas holidays. A total around £60m seems reasonable. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

This year should also have a record number of £30m films, with at least 10. There are 5 already. Dory, BFG, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beast and Rogue Nation should get there, with Moana and a few others with potential aswell. 

A year of lots of big, but not massive hits (SW, Spectre, JW) like 2015 had. 

• Like 1

It's Rogue One, Rogue Nation is a Mission Impossible film.

Fantastic Beasts likely will be boosted be wise it's riding on the wave of Cursed Child. 

Im curious to see how Inferno does, the previous Robert Langdon films were very successful so I'm expecting it'll be a solid hit. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's Rogue One, Rogue Nation is a Mission Impossible film.

Fantastic Beasts likely will be boosted be wise it's riding on the wave of Cursed Child. 

Im curious to see how Inferno does, the previous Robert Langdon films were very successful so I'm expecting it'll be a solid hit. 

Wasn't Inferno the top selling book of 2013 in the UK?