Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Dory's weekend figures don't really matter because it's doing well with weekday figures, we saw this last year with Inside Out where it dropped over 50% on its second weekend but it ended up doing better than most of the August competition

5 hours ago, ShinyDave said:

Think Dory might be hurt more by the weather. I suspect that a lot of families are taking a "save this for a rainy day" approach with that one, whereas SS has that "see it now" factor which gives it a high floor in the face of the sunshine.

Genuine question - when there's outright heatwave conditions (like we got on the 19th) do cinemas get hurt even more than in standard "lovely weather" like today's, or do they get a boost from people desperately seeking something to do in an air-conditioned space?

Probably about the same really. I don't think people really seek the cinema for air conditioning, but more pubs and bars for cold drinks. As long as it's hot enough to enjoy the outdoors, I don't think it matters 'how' hot it actually is. 

I was in Central London today, and it was absolutely heaving everywhere you walked. All restaurants, outdoor areas, parks etc were unbelievably busy. Outdoor activities come above anything else when the weather is nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quigley said:

Huge £4.7m opening day for Suicide Squad in the UK, biggest opening Friday ever in August.

Ian Sandwell (@ian_sandwell)

Very impressive OD. I'd say about £4m today, £3.5m tomorrow, £12.2m ($16m) OW.

43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

only 3.6m pound this weekend for dory, 55% drop!:(

As we've said, when the weather is good families would rather do something else. Inside Out also fell 50% on its 2nd weekend. Dory will recover with its strong weekdays.

The weather cools down this week, but next weeks outlook is looking to be very warm and dry again, so not good for cinemas. Not much rainy weather on the cards in the foreseeable future. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In Scotland it's been pissing down all week. 

Hopefully the sun will come her next week and England can get soaked. Even up the numbers a bit lol. 

Lol Scotland. Is it ever sunny there? Your summer temperatures are brutal.

Edited by Heretic

40 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Lol Scotland. Is it ever sunny there? Your summer temperatures are brutal.

Me and my husband would prefer the Scottish not-summer tbh...

Do we have any Scotland-specific numbers for Dory? Could be a good weather control group as it were.

10 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Where does everyone get their box office numbers from? sources?

Ian Sandwell who writes for Screen Daily usually posts the weekend numbers on his Twitter and our god rth gives us a plethora of information

25 minutes ago, Heretic said:

£10.6m SS. Very good, but I see it dropping off BvS style. Doubt it reaches much more than £25m.

I think it'll have similar legs to BvS too which should put around £26-27m with the same multi which isn't great although unlike BvS it has an extra week of holidays plus bank holiday at the end of August which may help its legs since there is no big film opening. It'll probably be number 1 next week since Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates and The Shallows won't make much of a dent.  

Edited by Jonwo