Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Warner Bros’ comic book adaptation scored a strong $14.6m (£11.2m) opening from its 573 sites

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justicelanded with $19.1m (£14.62m) and went on to take $47.7m (£36.58m). 

Hit hard by the good weather, Finding Dory fell 51% in its second weekend as it dropped to second with $5.2m (£4m).

Disney’s latest Pixar offering enjoyed a terrific first week as it amassed $21.1m (£16.2m) across its opening seven days, meaning it has now reached $26.5m (£20.3m) after only ten days in play.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/suicide-squad-dominates-uk-box-office/5107305.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Olive said:

Warner Bros’ comic book adaptation scored a strong $14.6m (£11.2m) opening from its 573 sites

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justicelanded with $19.1m (£14.62m) and went on to take $47.7m (£36.58m). 

Hit hard by the good weather, Finding Dory fell 51% in its second weekend as it dropped to second with $5.2m (£4m).

Disney’s latest Pixar offering enjoyed a terrific first week as it amassed $21.1m (£16.2m) across its opening seven days, meaning it has now reached $26.5m (£20.3m) after only ten days in play.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/suicide-squad-dominates-uk-box-office/5107305.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=44435

Exactly the same drop as Inside Out last year (51%). Way better than the £3.6M estimated yesterday.

top Engagements
5-7/8
all SS
1-CW Sheffield 
2-Imax southbank
3-Vue Westfield Strathford
4-Vue Westfield London
5-Empire LSqu
6-Odeon Manchester
7-CW Glasgow
8-Odeon Metrocentre
9-Odeon Liverpool
10-CW Crawley

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rth said:

top Engagements
5-7/8
all SS
1-CW Sheffield 
2-Imax southbank
3-CW Glasgow
4-Vue Westfield Strathford
5-Vue Westfield London
6-Empire LSqu
7-Odeon Manchester
8-CW Crawley
9-Odeon Metrocentre
10-CW Milton Keynes

Shocked that Vue Westfield was only fifth this week behind Vue Westfield Stratford City and that BFI IMAX was beaten by Cineworld Sheffield I'm guessing Glasgow got a boost from the new 4DX. Empire LS did very well as well. 

Interesting that the top ten either have IMAX, 4DX or both. Only the two Vues don't them but both have PLF in VueXtreme. 

Wow. That is ridiculously early. It will have a massive opening for sure, though.

Just checked my local cinema, they have a show at 3:30 and 6:50am!! They must be expecting huge numbers.

Vue Westfield already have 7 midnight shows. And they've also listed their full schedule for OD, which is unusual.

Over/Under £15m OW should be the target, imo.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Wow. That is ridiculously early. It will have a massive opening for sure, though.

Just checked my local cinema, they have a show at 3:30 and 6:50am!! They must be expecting huge numbers.

Vue Westfield already have 7 midnight shows. And they've also listed their full schedule for OD, which is unusual.

Over/Under £15m OW should be the target, imo.

I'm wondering if the long hiatus/nostalgia and the good publicity from the theater play will push it to 20m pounds. DH2 opened to 23m. 

• Like 1

UNIVERSAL

Falling 54% (excluding previews), Jason Bourne raced to a $3.2m (£2.44m) second weekend as it dropped to third.

Universal’s action sequel is up to $18.4m (£14.05m) after 12 days in play and is now the second-highest grossing Bourne outing in the UK.

It’s currently tracking ahead of series leader The Bourne Ultimatum, which stood at $16.9m (£12.93m) at the same stage.

Also for Universal, The Secret Life Of Pets hopped to an extra $584,000 (£447,219) for an excellent $41.9m (£32.07m) after seven weeks in play.

Central Intelligence now stands at $11m (£8.46m).

EONE

The BFG fell 50% on its way to a non-final $2.2m (£1.7m) third weekend from its 621 sites.

eOne’s Roald Dahl adaptation enjoyed another prosperous midweek session with $5.2m (£4m) added over Mon-Thurs, and has marched past the £20m mark with $26.4m (£20.2m) to date.

BFG recorded another huge week, it seems it's on track for £30m which is incredible really. No one expected anywhere near this level of success, especially as it is competing with Dory.

As for this weekend, SS as expected will likely have a big drop. Around 65% wouldn't surprise me, for about £4m. It won't be helped by the weather which is meant to be warm this weekend. By Sunday, it should be flirting with £20m. 

Dory should have a big Mon-Thu again, but I can see another drop of 50% over the weekend due to the weather, so probably £26-27m by Sunday. It's turning even hotter during the first part of next week (up to 32 degrees), so Dory will suffer again.

Pete's Dragon releases this weekend, it should have a nice little run I think, with good legs.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

No one expected it? I believe I told you the distributor were forecasting it before it opened ;)

Well no one on here seemed to believe it would make a run for £30m, I certainly didn't. Happy to be proved wrong, though.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Dory will definitely suffer at the weekend and during the mini-heatwave/Spanish plume setup forecast for early next week. If there's a thundery breakdown on Wednesday (eminently possible with such a configuration) it should have a big day then.

The BFG is literally making more money on weekdays than weekend days. Do summer holiday family flicks usually play like that?

Usually yes, business is much more spread out and families will usually take kids out during the week to the cinema when prices are cheaper and there's not much else to do. Of course in good weather, options are much less limited, so a cinema trip might be pushed down the list of things to do. 

• Like 1