Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Deadline says The Girl on the Train did $8.5m which is £6.8m which is very impressive and bigger than Gone Girl's four day opening although I think Girl on the Train isn't going to be as leggy as GG was. 

Wonder how Storks did with previews, I can't imagine it'll do huge business with Trolls previews next week. 

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Deadline says The Girl on the Train did $8.5m which is £6.8m which is very impressive and bigger than Gone Girl's four day opening although I think Girl on the Train isn't going to be as leggy as GG was. 

Wonder how Storks did with previews, I can't imagine it'll do huge business with Trolls previews next week. 

Yeah that's way bigger than I thought it would be. Female audiences coming out in droves in recent weeks. Coming out and seeing Bridget, to then see trailers for Train - definitely helped the movie. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah that's way bigger than I thought it would be. Female audiences coming out in droves in recent weeks. Coming out and seeing Bridget, to then see trailers for Train - definitely helped the movie. 

I doubt GOTT will be as leggy as Bridget, the film isn't as good but I agree it's a market that was mostly neglected over the summer due to the big tentpoles apart from Ab Fab and Me Before You. 

I'll be curious how it fares next week, I reckon it'll be close between it and Inferno for number 1. 

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt GOTT will be as leggy as Bridget, the film isn't as good but I agree it's a market that was mostly neglected over the summer due to the big tentpoles apart from Ab Fab and Me Before You. 

I'll be curious how it fares next week, I reckon it'll be close between it and Inferno for number 1. 

I think Inferno will win next weekend with a bit to spare. It'll be most people's number one choice on Friday and Saturday night. 

• Like 1

Universal’s Bridget Jones’s Baby will shortly become the third release of 2016 to hit the £40m mark.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Girl On The Train (eOne) $8.6m (£6.96m) $8.6m (£6.96m)
2 Bridget Jones’s Baby (Universal) $3.7m (£3m) $46.9m (£38.18m)
3 Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children(Fox) $2.7m (£2.22m) $8.25m (£6.72m)
4 Deepwater Horizon(Lionsgate) $1.2m (£987,694) $4.7m (£3.82m)
5 The Magnificent Seven (Sony) $629,000 (£512,000) $6.6m (£5.4m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

EONE

The Girl On The Train has derailed Bridget Jones’s Baby’s chances of a fourth week as the UK’s number one.

eOne’s adaptation arrived in top spot thanks to a terrific $8.6m (£6.96m) debut, including $2.2m (£1.78m) in previews, from its 612 sites. It’s worth noting that its Fri-Sun tally of $6.4m (£5.17m) would have also seen it land top spot.

The result means the film is already director Tate Taylor’s best-ever UK result, and is ahead of Gone Girl’s $5.1m (£4.1m) debut, including $641,000 (£516,509) in previews, from 549 sites. However, that film was a higher certificate at 18.

Gone Girl went on a lengthy run to reach $27.8m (£22.4m) at the UK box office, and The Girl On The Trainwill be hoping for a similarly sustained run.

Also for eOne, The BFG marched past the £30m mark with a $85,000 (£68,835) weekend taking it to $36.9m (£30.05m).

Supersonic added $49,000 (£39,810) from 60 sites on its second weekend for $728,000 (£592,174) to date.

2016 UPDATE

Saturday [October 8] saw the UK & Ireland box office pass the £1bn mark in the fastest ever time, reaching the milestone 17 days quicker than last year.

This year has seen two £40m+ hits to date (The Jungle Book, Finding Dory), as well as seven other £30m+ releases - Captain America: Civil War, Deadpool, Batman v Superman, The Secret Life Of Pets, Suicide Squad,Bridget Jones’s Baby and The BFG.

In the coming days, Bridget Jones’s Baby will become the third release of 2016 to cross the £40m mark.

UNIVERSAL

It may have fallen from top spot, but Bridget Jones’s Baby continued its outstanding UK run with a $3.7m (£3m) fourth weekend.

Universal’s threequel is now up to a stunning $46.9m (£38.18m) and has now overtaken The Edge Of Reason’s $44.7m (£36m) result and has Diary’s $52.2m (£42m) haul firmly in its sights.

Given its run to date, there’s a strong possibility thatBridget Jones’s Baby could become the biggest film of 2016 so far, currently The Jungle Book’s $57.2m (£46.1m).

Also for Universal, Kubo And The Two Strings sailed to an extra $162,000 (£132,011) for $3.6m (£2.89m) after five weeks in play.

FOX

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children fell 34% (excluding previews) with a $2.7m (£2.22m) second weekend as it dropped to third.

Fox’s adaptation is now up to $8.25m (£6.72m) and will soon overtake Tim Burton’s previous collaboration with Eva Green, Dark Shadows, which ended its UK run with $8.84m (£7.12m).

Also for Fox, M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story bowled to a $47,000 (£38,332) second weekend for $324,000 (£264,000) to date.

LIONSGATE

Falling 44% (excluding previews), Deepwater Horizondrilled up $1.2m (£987,694) on its second weekend.

Lionsgate’s disaster movie now stands at $4.7m (£3.82m) and is director Peter Berg’s third highest UK result to date, behind Hancock and Battleship.

Also for Lionsgate, The Guv’nor played in ten sites on Friday [October 7] night, grossing $936 (£762).

SONY

The Magnificent Seven fell almost 50% on its way to a $629,000 (£512,000) third weekend.

Sony’s western remake has now corralled $6.6m (£5.4m) in the UK, but will miss out on being director Antoine Fuqua’s best-ever result, which will remain Southpaw’s $10.7m (£8.7m).

Also for Sony, Don’t Breathe scared up a $159,000 (£129,000) fifth weekend for $4.4m (£3.6m) to date, while Sausage Party has now amassed a decent $9.5m (£7.7m).

DISNEY

In its 11th weekend, Disney’s Finding Dory fell only 23% with $347,000 (£282,000) for an excellent $51.7m (£42.04m) to date.

Also for Disney, Pete’s Dragon has now flown to $6.1m (£4.94m).

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

War On Everyone misfired on its UK debut with a soft $228,000 (£185,876), including previews, from its 202 sites through Icon Film Distribution.

That’s some way down on John Michael McDonagh’s best UK bow, Calvary’s $702,000 (£571,354) from 150 sites, and the film will end its run as the director’s lowest result to date.

ALTITUDE

My Scientology Movie posted a strong $131,000 (£106,720) UK debut, including previews, from its 26 sites, marking a site average of more than $5,200 (£4,200).

Altitude played the documentary in 240 sites last night [October 10] for its broadcast event, grossing a non-final $355,000 (£298,098) for a running total of $486,000 (£395,818).

Also for Altitude, Little Men has now grossed $189,000 (£152,143) following a non-final $20,000 (£16,304) third weekend.

VERTIGO RELEASING

In its fourth weekend, Vertigo Releasing’s Hunt For The Wilderpeople captured $62,000 (£50,089) from its 54 sites for a healthy $807,000 (£649,587) to date.

Also for Vertigo Releasing, Under The Shadow added $7,000 (£5,659) from its ten sites for $64,000 (£51,431) after two weeks in play.

PICTUREHOUSE ENTERTAINMENT

In its limited theatrical run, Picturehouse Entertainment’sThe Greasy Strangler slid to $11,000 (£9,063) from its nine sites from a handful of shows.

The debut includes a $2,400 (£1,913) take from Thursday’s [October 6] preview at the Duke of Yorks Picturehouse and $1,400 (£1,175) from the film’s Empire Live screening.

Also for Picturehouse Entertainment, Swiss Army Manhas floated to $197,000 (£160,471) after two weeks in play.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Sony’s Inferno, Warner Bros’ Storks (following previews this weekend) and Universal’s American Honey.

Universal’s Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary Performance plays on Sunday [October 16], while Dogwoof’s Kate Plays Christine is among the films receiving a limited release.

Incredible opening for GOTT, especially compared to the US. Should be another £20m hit for sure.

Very good news regarding 2016 so far too, quickest ever to £1bn, and by quite a large margin. The fact that there has been so many £30-40m hits this year has proved to be better in the long run than a few massive films. September should also come in well up on last year.

• Like 3

As for this weekend, Inferno is entering a very crowded market, but should be able to take the top spot quite easily. Angels and Demons opened to £6m. The Da Vinci Code was a big hit here, with an opening of £9.4m. I expect Inferno to open somewhere around the £5m mark, which would be a good target to hit.

GOTT should already be in the low teens by Sunday, and Bridget will leap past the £40m mark.

Storks is the first big animated film since Dory so it should do decently with families, but nothing major, maybe a £2m opening. Miss Peregrine however is doing very well right now so that'll prove to be competition for Storks.

Edited by Heretic

4 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

Storks did £900k in previews

That's pretty decent for Storks, it faces Trolls previews next week as well as the ongoing success of Miss Peregrine.

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

As for this weekend, Inferno is entering a very crowded market, but should be able to take the top spot quite easily. Angels and Demons opened to £6m. The Da Vinci Code was a big hit here, with an opening of £9.4m. I expect Inferno to open somewhere around the £5m mark, which would be a good target to hit.

GOTT should already be in the low teens by Sunday, and Bridget will leap past the £40m mark.

Storks is the first big animated film since Dory so it should do decently with families, but nothing major, maybe a £2m opening. Miss Peregrine however is doing very well right now so that'll prove to be competition for Storks.

I'm thinking £4-4.5m for Inferno but £5m wouldn't surprise me. 

eOne have had a strong year with The BFG cracking £30m and The Girl on the Train likely to do around £25m or more, they've done better than both Sony and Paramount as neither have had a £20-30m hit this year. 

After next weekend, Bridget Jones' Baby is going to have grossed more than Finding Dory.

Judging by my local cinemas, Inferno and GOTT are both doing really well. Nice to see the box office really liven up after the drought we've had since early August.

It's only going to continue, with Trolls and Doctor Strange out next week.

8 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Storks flies to estimated £2.2m debut, including previews, in the UK.

Ouch. Opening against Trolls = bad idea.

That's an ok opening for Inferno. Reviews clearly played their part, but word of mouth should be fine. I've found the critical reaction remarkably cynical. Sure, the other Langdon films weren't exactly lauded, but this is very much made of the same stuff. If audiences that enjoyed Code and Angels stay away, it'll be a shame. 

Train also had an effect on the performance it would seem. 

'The Girl On The Train' retains UK lead as 'Miss Saigon' sings to record opening

Universal’s Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary Performance records the biggest-ever debut for an event cinema release.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Girl On The Train (eOne) $4.15m (£3.41m) $16.6m (£13.64m)
2 Inferno (Sony) $3.65m (£3m) $3.65m (£3m)
3 Storks (Warner Bros) $2.72m (£2.24m) $2.72m (£2.24m)
4 Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary Performance(Universal) $2.38m (£1.96m) $2.38m (£1.96m)
5 Bridget Jones’s Baby (Universal) $2.28m (£1.88m) $50m (£41.17m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

EONE

The Girl On The Train held off all newcomers continued its journey as the UK’s number one for the second straight week.

eOne’s adaptation of Paula Hawkins’ bestselling novel fell only 34% (excluding previews) on its way to a $4.15m (£3.41m) second weekend for an excellent $16.6m (£13.64m) after 12 days in play.

It’s currently tracking well ahead of Gone Girl which stood at $11.9m (£9.8m) at the end of its second weekend, sustaining well to reach $27.2m (£22.4m) at the UK box office.

Also for eOne, The BFG and Supersonic stand at $36.7m (£30.13m) and $812,000 (£667,591), respectively.

SONY

Inferno had to settle for second place on its UK debut due to the continued success of The Girl On The Train.

Sony’s latest Dan Brown adaptation uncovered $3.65m (£3m) from its 555 sites, a decent opening given its soft reviews. However, it is the lowest opening of the series to date by some distance, behind Angels & Demons’ $7.4m (£6.05m) from 506 sites.

The Da Vinci Code opened with $11.6m (£9.5m) from 523 sites on its way to a series high to date of $37m (£30.42m). Angels & Demons took $22.8m (£18.79m), and Inferno would have to sustain strongly to challenge that.

Also for Sony, The Magnificent Seven corralled $255,000 (£210,000) for $7.2m (£5.9m) after four weeks in play, while Don’t Breathe has now scared up $4.5m (£3.7m).

WARNER BROS

Boosted by last week’s previews, Storks flew into third spot on its UK bow.

Warner Bros’ animation delivered $2.72m (£2.24m) from its 529 sites, including $1.18m (£972,000) in previews. Its Fri-Sun tally of $1.54m (£1.27m) would have seen it chart sixth.

It’s co-director Nicholas Stoller’s first animation and marks his second-best opening in the UK, behind Bad Neighbours. The opening is some way behind Warner Animation Group’s first film, The Lego Movie’s $9.8m (£8.05m) from 547 sites.

Previews of Trolls provided family competition this weekend and Storks will face the full opening of Fox’s animation over the upcoming school holidays.

UNIVERSAL

Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary Performance recorded the biggest-ever debut for an event cinema release in the UK.

Universal’s broadcast hit the high note with a non-final $2.38m (£1.96m) from its 593 sites on Sunday [October 16]. That tops the previous record holder, Billy Elliot - The Musical Live’s $2.31m (£1.9m) debut from 553 sites in 2014.

Also for Universal, Bridget Jones’s Baby has become the third release of 2016 to hit the £40m mark at the UK box office.

Universal’s well-received threequel fell only 37% on its way to a superb $2.28m (£1.88m) fifth weekend for a stunning $50m (£41.17m) to date. It will soon overtake Diary’s $51.1m (£42m) result to become the biggest-ever romantic comedy in the UK.

It’s well on its way to become the year’s biggest film to date, currently The Jungle Book’s $56.1m (£46.19m).

American Honey travelled to $213,000 (£175,383) from its 98 sites, including $36,000 (£29,836) in previews, on its UK bow.

That marks director Andrea Arnold’s best-ever UK opening, ahead of Wuthering Heights’ $191,000 (£156,931) from 81 sites, and Universal will hope it can prosper midweek with the arthouse audience.

FOX

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children fell 41% on its way to a non-final $1.6m (£1.32) third weekend.

Fox’s adaptation is now up to $10.6m (£8.77m) in the UK, currently making it Tim Burton’s eighth-best performer.Sleepy Hollow is next in its sights with $12.8m (£10.05m).

Also for Fox, Trolls danced to a promising preview haul of $2.48m (£2.04m) from Saturday and Sunday. It won’t be reported in this weekend’s chart and will be added to its official opening this coming weekend.

LIONSGATE

Falling more than 50% on its third weekend, Lionsgate’sDeepwater Horizon drilled up a further $551,000 (£453,473) for $5.9m (£4.85m) to date.

DISNEY

In its 12th weekend, Disney’s Finding Dory swum to an extra $228,000 (£187,694) for a terrific $51.4m (£42.25m) to date.

ALTITUDE

My Scientology Movie boosted 30% (excluding previews) with a non-final $147,000 (£120,900) second weekend from its 34 sites.

Following its live stream event last Monday [October 10], Altitude’s documentary is now up to a strong $935,000 (£768,993). It plays in 62 sites across this coming week.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Posting a hefty drop in its second weekend, Icon Film Distribution’s War On Everyone could only add $42,000 (£34,811) for $400,000 (£329,124) to date.

• Like 2