Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Same here! Sure to be great WOM

Yeah, I feel like it will go down like great teen and teen romance comedies. Mean Girls, The Edge of Seventeen and many more. Love, Simon is a great addition to the genre and much needed to normalize LGBT+ people even more. Ah, can't wait to see it again when it releases generally in April!

31 minutes ago, James said:

Is there any contender, or is Fantastic Beasts 2 guaranteed the UK crown this year (I seriously doubt Solo will beat it)?

FB1 did about 54.4 million pounds at the exchange rate at the time of release whereas Avengers 2 did about 50. So I reckon it could be a close race between IW and FB2 again this year. 

Incredibles 1 did about 33.7 at the exchange rate at that time but this number is unadjusted so I dont know what it would have done adjusted. But it could also be a contender. 

Mary Poppins is the unknown wild card here. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

FB1 did about 54.4 million pounds at the exchange rate at the time of release whereas Avengers 2 did about 50. So I reckon it could be a close race between IW and FB2 again this year. 

Incredibles 1 did about 33.7 at the exchange rate at that time but this number is unadjusted so I dont know what it would have done adjusted. But it could also be a contender. 

Mary Poppins is the unknown wild card here. 

How about Mamma Mia? I believe the first one did more than any of these.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tower said:

How about Mamma Mia? I believe the first one did more than any of these.

It did more in dollars than any of the above movies but the dollar was really weak against the pound at that time. Mamma Mia did something like 47-48 million pounds. All numbers are unadjusted so they will rise a bit when u adjust them to today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

It did more in dollars than any of the above movies but the dollar was really weak against the pound at that time. Mamma Mia did something like 47-48 million pounds. All numbers are unadjusted so they will rise a bit when u adjust them to today

Mamma Mia is one of the biggest films of all time, it made £68.6m. The dollar figure is so wrong on BOM right now. It had a re-release at the weekend and its figure got revised down from $132m to $98m as that is what the £68m would adjust to right now in dollars compared to 2008 when the pound was much stronger. BOM is very bad with their ER adjustments as they adjust the complete gross according to one days exchange rate. If the exchange rate suddenly increases to 1:2 tomorrow the gross would jump to almost $140m. 

As for biggest film, I'd say FB2, but Mary Poppins could be huge over Christmas. Avengers, Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles all have a chance too. Doubt Mamma Mia 2 will get near the first, but it will probably still be a big hit. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Yeah, I feel like it will go down like great teen and teen romance comedies. Mean Girls, The Edge of Seventeen and many more. Love, Simon is a great addition to the genre and much needed to normalize LGBT+ people even more. Ah, can't wait to see it again when it releases generally in April!

Not sure Edge of Seventeen is a great example since it grossed $600,000 only.

5 hours ago, James said:

Is there any contender, or is Fantastic Beasts 2 guaranteed the UK crown this year (I seriously doubt Solo will beat it)?

I would expect Avengers, Jurassic World, Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia to beat it. 

15 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I feel like Mamma Mia could do similar numbers to the first this summer. Which depresses me. 

Near £70m? The British do love musicals but that would be crazy. Definitely isn't impossible though. 

The Greatest Showman has had one of the most impressive runs ever and it's still going strong. Probably will end up near £45m. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Near £70m? The British do love musicals but that would be crazy. Definitely isn't impossible though. 

The Greatest Showman has had one of the most impressive runs ever and it's still going strong. Probably will end up near £45m. 

Did anyone really expect the first one to do that number though? 

10 hours ago, Heretic said:

Mamma Mia is one of the biggest films of all time, it made £68.6m. The dollar figure is so wrong on BOM right now. It had a re-release at the weekend and its figure got revised down from $132m to $98m as that is what the £68m would adjust to right now in dollars compared to 2008 when the pound was much stronger. BOM is very bad with their ER adjustments as they adjust the complete gross according to one days exchange rate. If the exchange rate suddenly increases to 1:2 tomorrow the gross would jump to almost $140m. 

As for biggest film, I'd say FB2, but Mary Poppins could be huge over Christmas. Avengers, Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles all have a chance too. Doubt Mamma Mia 2 will get near the first, but it will probably still be a big hit. 

Yeah you are right. Its figure was around £69.2m in 2009. I was using the figure in BOM to convert and didnt know they had revised down. That would mean its way way bigger than the movies discussed above. 

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah you are right. Its figure was around £69.2m in 2009. I was using the figure in BOM to convert and didnt know they had revised down. That would mean its way way bigger than the movies discussed above. 

Yeah. Mamma Mia is the 10th highest grossing film of all time. In the US that spot is held by Beauty and the Beast with $500M so yeah it was not a small film..

18 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

I meant more in terms of quality when it comes to The Edge of Seventeen 

well, this is box office we're talking about, not your personal critique of the movie

Odds on Monday's mystery screening at local independent cinema being Ready Player One....

it's 12A That's all I know. just hope is not Love Simon like cineworld had the other day. The cinema allows refunds if you don't want to watch the movie and they've got two screens booked for this so if it's a small movie they are gonna get a lot of refunds.