Jump to content
Heretic

UK Box Office Thread: £9.7m 2nd weekend for Joker (-22%), £30m ($36.9m) total

Recommended Posts

Incredibles 2 is going to do strong business, I went to an afternoon showing and it was half full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been quite busy with Incredibles. Actually playing better in the evening than the day time.

 

Mamma Mia 2 presales are amazing. Like Star Wars big for us

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the weather and sporting events today, I imagine Disney will be pleased and I imagine it'll be very leggy. The only real competition is HT3 in two weeks and Christopher Robin in August.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoolK said:

I2 debuts with  $12.1M

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Considering the weather and sporting events today, I imagine Disney will be pleased and I imagine it'll be very leggy. The only real competition is HT3 in two weeks and Christopher Robin in August.

 

My bet is that Sunday is massively underestimated. I went to a showing during the Final and it was still half full (and my cinema is usually not that busy). Also my friend's at a showing right now and he said it's packed full, with few kids as well. 

 

So at least it seems (in my small experience) we're mimicking USA in that this is playing with families just as much as adults. Just a shame the scale of the opening isn't as big. Makes sense though as we're not quite as obsessed with Supers or Animation as USA. E.g. Coco didn't do that  amazingly here (much to my dismay)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

 

My bet is that Sunday is massively underestimated. I went to a showing during the Final and it was still half full (and my cinema is usually not that busy). Also my friend's at a showing right now and he said it's packed full, with few kids as well. 

 

So at least it seems (in my small experience) we're mimicking USA in that this is playing with families just as much as adults. Just a shame the scale of the opening isn't as big. Makes sense though as we're not quite as obsessed with Supers or Animation as USA. E.g. Coco didn't do that  amazingly here (much to my dismay)

TBH It's been a while since we've had any decent kids fare. I2 still has seven weeks of summer holidays to come so it'll more than make up for a slightly lower if still impressive OW. It's probably going to be the biggest animated film this year. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the 7:30 show (it’s on in 4 screens) but this is the biggest theatre. It was sold out. On a Sunday night. 

Movie played like gangbusters. Applause at the end. 

 

Going to have a huge run here I’ve no doubt. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Went to the 7:30 show (it’s on in 4 screens) but this is the biggest theatre. It was sold out. On a Sunday night. 

Movie played like gangbusters. Applause at the end. 

 

Going to have a huge run here I’ve no doubt. 

which movie is involved ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£9.7m for I2 according to SD but that includes previews as well. I think £50m is doable if it has similar legs to the original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

£9.7m for I2 according to SD but that includes previews as well. I think £50m is doable if it has similar legs to the original. 

That's $12.85m USD, higher than the estimated $12.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

£9.7m for I2 according to SD but that includes previews as well. I think £50m is doable if it has similar legs to the original. 

£9.5m for the weekend. Not sure what the previews were but they were tiny.

 

Should do great business over the school holidays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic opening considering weather and sporting events. Will have a massive run over the summer holidays as kids break up this weekend. BO is back after a very quiet month. 

 

Could be an interesting race for number one this weekend but I expect Mamma Mia will take the crown. Should also be huge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Fantastic opening considering weather and sporting events. Will have a massive run over the summer holidays as kids break up this weekend. BO is back after a very quiet month. 

 

Could be an interesting race for number one this weekend but I expect Mamma Mia will take the crown. Should also be huge. 

I'm thinking Bridget Jones' Baby OW for Mamma Mia! at the moment which did £8.1m but could potentially go higher. I imagine I2 will do £6-7m. Going to busy for the next few weeks with Mission Impossible next week, Ant-Man and the Wasp the week after and Christopher Robin in three weeks. 

 

Speaking of AMTW, there is going to be midnight screenings which seems unnecessary. 

Edited by Jonwo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 Incredibles 2 2018/7/13 £ 9,650,000 £ 9,650,000 Walt Disney Int'l
2 Skyscraper 2018/7/13 £ 1,829,830 £ 1,829,830 Universal Int'l
3 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 2018/6/8 £ 824,705 £ 38,480,573 Universal Int'l
4 First Purge, The 2018/7/6 £ 798,455 £ 3,367,946 Universal Int'l
5 Ocean's 8 2018/6/22 £ 529,697 £ 9,731,255 Warner Bros Int'l
6 Marrowbone 2018/7/13 £ 171,161 £ 171,161 eOne Films
7 Sicario: Day Of The Soldado 2018/6/29 £ 131,078 £ 1,838,626 Lionsgate
8 Sanju 2018/6/29 £ 96,328 £ 1,150,400 Fox Int'l
9 Hereditary 2018/6/15 £ 91,897 £ 5,368,030 Entertainment 
10 Adrift 2018/6/29 £ 75,742 £ 1,267,325 STX Entertainment
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t be a surprise if Incredibles legged it out to £40-50m across the next 6 weeks, people were even cheering and clapping in my Sunday 20:45 screening. Never seen anything like it in the UK, other than maybe Force Awakens opening night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read Guardian’s article about the box office,

 

That’s £100k less than the original Incredibles opened to 14 years ago despite inflation and premium tickets. Although the first film seemed to have massive previews. 

 

Incredibles £9.75m

Incredibles 2 £9.65m 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just read Guardian’s article about the box office,

 

That’s £100k less than the original Incredibles opened to 14 years ago despite inflation and premium tickets. Although the first film seemed to have massive previews. 

 

Incredibles £9.75m

Incredibles 2 £9.65m 

I2 will make more than the first one thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mamma Mia is going to be ridiculously big at my cinema. Might challenge Force Awakens for our biggest ever 7 days 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.