Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

$49.9m for Joker which is around £38.5m. Will pass £40m this week. £50m is still up in the air but this has already passed even the wildest expectations. 

Yeah, amazing.

50 million depends on its screen retention next weekend. Just had a quick look at my local Cineworld for Thursday.

Joker has 9 screenings, Maleficent has 9 (but 2 IMAX), Dark Fate has 11 (2xIMAX and 4x4DX). So, no premium formats, but still decent number, and they're not the tiniest auditoriums. So, curious what next weekend will be like.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Heretic said:

It’s also half term for some this week, although I doubt that’ll benefit Joker much.

You never know. :P 13-14 year-olds going to 11 AM screenings, when the ushers just don't give a shit about anything, and 15 year-olds going at 6PM, as they have no homework to worry about. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

It’s also half term for some this week, although I doubt that’ll benefit Joker much. It made about £8.5m in the last week, if it were to drop 50% from here it’d get to around £47m.

Just want to ask do they use real time currency or first WE currency ? 

because last weekend as far as I remember joker stands at £30m and $36.9, so they use OW currency even though it's already £1 = $1.26 last weekend.

6 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Just want to ask do they use real time currency or first WE currency ? 

because last weekend as far as I remember joker stands at £30m and $36.9, so they use OW currency even though it's already £1 = $1.26 last weekend.

I don’t think they use real time but I also don’t think they use just the first week ER. I know that BOM definitely don’t use ER conversions correctly as for example if a film is a re-released after a year, they adjust the entire gross which doesn’t make sense. In this instance, films can drop by 10 or 20m if the ER since original released has weakened significantly. It should be averaged and applied over given periods. I think @RthTIFF explained how it works. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Not sure what happened with conversions, but Joker has actually passed £40m already. £5.5m 3rd weekend (-44%), £40.3m total. Pretty incredible. Can’t see how it misses £50m now.

Do you think it has any possibility to past TDKR or TDK in pounds ?

In that Screendaily article, the writer said that Dunkirk total in pounds seems achievable but isn't that too big to reach ?

22 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Do you think it has any possibility to past TDKR or TDK in pounds ?

In that Screendaily article, the writer said that Dunkirk total in pounds seems achievable but isn't that too big to reach ?

TDK seems like a very strong possibility, unless Terminator somehow surprises everyone and steals all its audience.

TDKR and Dunkirk did similar £ numbers (think they're within 500k of each other?)

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

TDK seems like a very strong possibility, unless Terminator somehow surprises everyone and steals all its audience.

TDKR and Dunkirk did similar £ numbers (think they're within 500k of each other?)

Ahh ok, I always thought that TDK did £50m+.

Seems like Batman and it's villain still the most popular superhero in UK.

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Early predictions for The Batman in the UK? I'd say £55M+ should be the target.

Depends on reception as well, but I’d agree that Batman is the most popular superhero in the UK, although I think a lot of that is also due to the legacy that TDK (and I guess TDKR) has left. Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker would definitely have raised popularity too for future Batman/Joker films. 

Just now, Heretic said:

Depends on reception as well, but I’d agree that Batman is the most popular superhero in the UK, although I think a lot of that is also due to the legacy that TDK (and I guess TDKR) has left. Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker would definitely have raised popularity too for future Batman/Joker films. 

Agreed, reception will be key, but I'm optimistic about the quality. Should the movie be as solid/great as Reeves' Apes movies, married with the character's popularity, I think TDKR numbers are a reasonable target (in line with Black Panther, after all, rather than IW and EG's lofty totals) 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Heretic said:

TDK made £48.7m which Joker will almost certainly beat. 

TDKR made £56.3m, and Dunkirk £56.8m.

I don’t think Joker will get that high, but it could perhaps reach The Avengers’ £51.9m.

It's been suggested it could get as close - or maybe beat Dunkirk's UK record; though it'll surpass the Fully Monty as the highest grossing adult film in the UK.

Star Wars tickets are on sale now. As expected target cinemas such as OLS and BFI IMAX are filling up fast. 

Not sure what the expect for this one, although I’d be surprised if it didn’t top TLK’s £75m for no.1 of 2019. TLJ made £82.7m, so perhaps around the £85-90m mark factoring in a bit of a finale factor. 

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Not sure what the expect for this one, although I’d be surprised if it didn’t top TLK’s £75m for no.1 of 2019. TLJ made £82.7m, so perhaps around the £85-90m mark factoring in a bit of a finale factor. 

#1 of 2019 should be Endgame, no?