Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Do you also compare it to every other movies as well? I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything but FF7 seems to have more positive WOM than this because people seem to be less critical about it. Every movie should be judge by the same standard.

But that's how things always play out. Pixar had the same happened to them and now Marvel. You've to up your game for the sequel or there will be a backlash, remember nothing ever is in a vacuum. 

But that's how things always play out. Pixar had the same happened to them and now Marvel. You've to up your game for the sequel or there will be a backlash, remember nothing ever is in a vacuum. 

And that's what they did, for many people AoU is better than TA1, so that's very difficult to understand what the problem is.

As far as as comparison goes, its obviously foolish to be expecting this to be as good as or having as great a story as, lets say, The Godfather, but isn't it fair to be comparing this with TDK? Or TA1 or Watchmen or last year's comic book stuff, the genre toppers? This is a CBM and 'will' be compared to them, sequel or not. As Roger Ebert used to say - you can't rate a movie, or anything for that matter, without comparing it to others of the same genre.

There is sufficient empirical evidence that this is having way lower acceptance than 1st one. And that is not just bcos its weaker than the 1st. There are enough things mentioned in the review thread and its not fair to discuss this in other threads as there could be folks who have not seen the movie.

Well on allociné the first has an average of 4/5 from the press (25 reviews) and the second 2.7 (19 reviews) so...

They also have TDW higher at 2.8, IM2 at 3.1, TWS & IM 3 at 3.2, IM at 3.4 with GOTG at 3.8 so I kind of doubt their collective sanity but then I'm one of the few not crazy about GOTG so I doubt collective sanity in general. :lol:

To each their own

• Like 1

They also have TDW higher at 2.8, IM2 at 3.1, TWS & IM 3 at 3.2, IM at 3.4 with GOTG at 3.8 so I kind of doubt their collective sanity but then I'm one of the few not crazy about GOTG so I doubt collective sanity in general. :lol:

To each their own

There is no doubt GOTG had way better reception that AOU as well. It does not matter what individual opinion is. It finished with 91% and 7.7/10 rating.

There is no doubt GOTG had way better reception that AOU as well. It does not matter what individual opinion is. It finished with 91% and 7.7/10 rating.

I don't dispute it's high reception among audiences and critics but I'm still bemused by it which is my point.  Also in terms of Allocine the disparity in critical avg for it between IM and TWS as opposed to say RT is rather large and they have IM2 and TWS about rated the same with TDW above AOU.  Critical reception is not consistent not only between critics but between countries etc.  For AOU in the UK most reviews from major sources have been 4/5 (Times, Guardian, Telegraph, Empire, Radio Times etc)  It's all also skewed by sample size - 20 critics vs 200. 

Edited by TalismanRing

I don't dispute it's high reception among audiences and critics but I'm still bemused by it which is my point.  Also in terms of Allocine the disparity in critical avg for it between IM and TWS as opposed to say RT is rather large and they have IM2 and TWS about rated the same with TDW above AOU.  Critical reception is not consistent not only between critics but between countries etc.  For AOU in the UK most reviews from major sources have been 4/5 (Times, Guardian, Telegraph, Empire, Radio Times etc)  It's all also skewed by sample size - 20 critics vs 200. 

All the big media sources have given it good review's so is fine there.

Well, its human tendency to make comparisons(and find flaws), at the end of the day its your opinion and not someone else's who has seen more movies or is a professional( = critics), yes some may like it and others may not, but one should not let them influence his/her opinion, here in my country, TASM2 was pretty much liked, people didn't think it was terrible, so its your brain that makes you go "Hulk didn't do the smashing properly like the last one", so as fellow box-officers hope for the best for this movie. :) :)  :)  :)

Edited by Meitantei
  • Like 1

Well, its human tendency to make comparisons(and find flaws), at the end of the day its your opinion and not someone else's who has seen more movies or is a professional( = critics), yes some may like it and others may not, but one should not let them influence his/her opinion, here in my country, TASM2 was pretty much liked, people didn't think it was terrible, so its your brain that makes you go "Hulk didn't do the smashing properly like the last one", so as fellow box-officers hope for the best for this movie. :) :) :):)

Sorry but i couldn't understand anything after the "don't let others opinions influence yours". Can you please explain more clearly what you were trying to say?