Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Dirty Grandpa having a 7-day opening weekend, looking at its first few days it doesn't look like it'll help that much... 

All from @Rentrak_UK 

MONDAY:
1 - The Revenant
2 - Ride Along 2
3 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
4 - The Big Short
5 - Dirty Grandpa

TUESDAY:
1 - The Revenant
2 - Two Pigeons/Rhapsody - Royal Ballet London
3 - The Big Short
4 - Ride Along 2
5 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

WEDNESDAY:
1-The Revenant
2-The Big Short
3-Star Wars: The Force Awakens
4-Ride Along 2
5-Dirty Grandpa

2016 is looking like a massive year for family/animated films.

Looking at the schedule though, the summer is way too crowded. One or two is gonna disappoint. At the end of June there is The Secret Life of Pets which has the potential to do Despicable Me/Minions numbers imo. Then you have Tarzan on July 8th, Ice Age of July 15th, The BFG on the 22nd and Finding Dory on the 29th, and Pete's Dragon in the first half of August.

Finding Dory will obviously be huge, either one of Tarzan or Ice Age will likely do less than expected. The BFG is a wildcard, but it looks like it could be a pretty big hit as its opening coincides with summer break. Pete's Dragon is another wildcard. The original is a classic, but I doubt many children nowadays even know about it.

Apart from summer, Zootopia will do very well over the Easter break, and then Jungle Book follows 3 weeks after, which will be big. KFP3 opens 2 weeks before Zootopia, probably will do similar numbers to the first two. Was never that big here.

On another note, the Easter weekend this year could potentially be one of the biggest ever. Batman V Superman, Zootopia and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 all open on the 25th, and there's a bank holiday on the 28th. After that there's 2 weeks of holidays.

I don't see Secret Life of Pets doing as well as Minions with both Dory and Ice Age in July plus it's opening on the same day as Independence Day. The BFG I agree could be a big hit but we'll need a full trailer first. 

Both Zootropolis and KFP3 have previews, I find it strange that Disney didn't opt to open Zootropolis the week before BvS since that weekend is really empty. 

Ride Along 2 is doing much better than the first which is not surprising as Kevin Hart's popularity has risen in the last two years here. Will be interesting how Central Intelligence does.

Wonder how Goosebumps did in previews and speaking of previews, Zoolander 2 is trying to get a head start on the three big releases on February 12th with previews on the 6th and 7th. Still won't be enough to beat Deadpool

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

There seems to be a lot of excitement for Deadpool, I think it's gonna do really well. Should have a pretty big 5 day opening, even if it is rated 15. £7-8m is possible imo.

My midnight IMAX show for deadpool is looking pretty busy, but the evening show is looking much busier atm. 

Lionsgate’s Dirty Grandpa is the week’s highest new entry with seven-day $2.9m (£2.05m) debut, while eOne’s Spotlightposts the highest Fri-Sun site average of the top ten.

Further distributor results to come…

FOX

Seeing off a busy field of new releases, The Revenantrecorded a hat-trick as the number one film at the UK box office.

Fox’s awards contender fell a respectable 41% on its way to a non-final $3.2m (£2.3m) for a strong $22.9m (£16.1m) to date. It should be nearing £20m by the end of this coming weekend.

Even as the market gets busier with the likes of Dad’s Army, Deadpool, Goosebumps and Zoolander 2 over the coming weeks, The Revenant should continue to prosper as counter-programming, especially if it triumphs at the BAFTAs and Oscars.

Also for Fox, Snoopy And Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie added a non-final $341,000 (£239,389) for $13.7m (£9.6m) to date. It will hope to stick around in order to get a little boost during the school half-term in mid-February.

Joy and Bridge Of Spies have amassed $7m (£4.94m) and $11m (£7.72m), respectively.

LIONSGATE

Despite a critical mauling, Dirty Grandpa charted second on its UK bow.

Lionsgate’s comedy scored an overall non-final debut of $2.9m (£2.05m) from its 424 sites, but that does include $863,000 (£604,672) from four days of previews. However, its Fri-Sun tally of $2.1m (£1.44m) would have also seen it chart second.

Dirty Grandpa achieved a healthy site average over Fri-Sun of $4,858 (£3,402), and now it’s just a case of whether its bad reception will impact on its longevity.

DISNEY

Star Wars: The Force Awakens continued its astonishing run at the UK box office with just a 34% drop in its seventh weekend.

Disney’s record-breaking juggernaut grossed an extra $1.9m (£1.34m) and is still playing in 552 sites. Its mammoth running total now stands at $170.9m (£119.4m) and it will hit £120m this week.

Also for Disney, The Good Dinosaur is up to $20m (£13.95m) following a $186,000 (£130,000) tenth weekend.

UNIVERSAL

Ride Along 2 enjoyed a $1.87m (£1.3m) second weekend at the UK box office.

Universal’s comedy sequel stands at $6m (£4.2m) after ten days in play and has already surpassed the $5.9m (£4.14m) result of its predecessor.

Also for Universal, The Danish Girl has grossed $9.8m (£6.87m) after five weeks in play.

EONE

Spotlight got off to a highly promising start at the UK box office as it rounded off this week’s top five.

eOne’s critically acclaimed drama posted a $1.5m (£1.06m) debut from its 241 sites for a superb $6,260 (£4,380) site average, the highest in this week’s top 10 based on Fri-Sun. With its older-skewing audience,Spotlight should enjoy strong midweek returns.

With all of this year’s Best Picture nominees now opened,Spotlight is sixth in terms of openings just ahead ofBrooklyn’s $1.48m (£1.04m). However, Room aside, it opened in the fewest amount of sites.

PARAMOUNT

The Big Short posted a slim drop on its way to a $1.4m (£958,000) second weekend.

Paramount’s awards contender is now up to $4.3m (£3.03m) and will hope to post a final tally similar to fellow Oscar contender Bridge Of Spies, which currently stands at $11m (£7.72m).

Also for Paramount, Capture The Flag recorded a UK debut of $1.1m (£775,000), including $393,000 (£275,000) in previews, from its 458 sites. The animation will look to prosper in the upcoming half term.

Daddy’s Home took a further $858,000 (£600,000) for a terrific $23.4m (£16.35m) after six weeks in play, while13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi posted one of Michael Bay’s lowest-ever UK bows with $340,000 (£238,000) from its 307 sites.

WARNER BROS

In its third weekend, Warner Bros’ Creed posted another big drop of around 50% on its way to $829,000 (£581,000) for $7.6m (£5.31m) to date.

Also for Warner Bros, real-life mining drama The 33could only manage a $37,000 (£26,208) UK debut from its 103 sites.

SONY

Unsurprisingly struggling following its somewhat soft opening, Sony’s The 5th Wave added $214,000 (£150,000) for a ten-day tally of $1.2m (£870,000).

SODA PICTURES

From its six sites through Soda Pictures, Innocence Of Memories posted a UK bow of $15,000 (£10,669). It’s worth noting that the film wasn’t playing full showtimes each day across the weekend.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Sony’sGoosebumps (following previews this past weekend), Warner Bros’ Point Break and Universal’s Dad’s Army.

eOne’s Trumbo receives a wide release, while Soda Pictures’ Rams, Dogwoof’s Janis: Little Girl Blue and Anime Ltd’s Miss Hokusai are among the films receiving a limited release.

Half term holidays is the week after next, which means SW will be getting a nice late-run boost to push it closer to the £125m mark.

Not sure what'll be number one this weekend. Dad's Army should do well but its older skewing audience will probably see business more spread out. Goosebumps could top the weekend unless The Revenent has a very small drop.

Goosebumps had previews this weekend so I'd make that my favourite, not too sure how much it made though. 

In dollars SW7 on course for $185M+. If the exchange rate had been stable since its opening day it could easily have been over $190M... 

Edited by Dan9

8 hours ago, Dan9 said:

Goosebumps had previews this weekend so I'd make that my favourite, not too sure how much it made though. 

In dollars SW7 on course for $185M+. If the exchange rate had been stable since its opening day it could easily have been over $190M... 

i thought the revenue in dollar is based on the exchange rate of the 1st day release?? if that was the case, it would not be affected by the bad ER lately, am i right?

46 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

i thought the revenue in dollar is based on the exchange rate of the 1st day release?? if that was the case, it would not be affected by the bad ER lately, am i right?

The total is not based on ER of first day, but only part of it's total will be affected by the exchange rate changes (from whenever the ER changed in Jan). 

Deadpool is getting way more showtimes than I was expecting, and pre-sales are looking strong. At my uni hype is through the roof. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets near £10m for the 5-day. Valentine's day will probably help it if anything, plus it has a week of holidays after it opens.