Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Zootropolis is looking stronger than BvS right now. The gap will probably only widen during Easter holidays as Zootropolis capitalizes on the family audience. 

I think attendance wise at my local they're about even, but then you have to take other situations in to account. Zootropolis isn't strong in 3D, but BVS is doing OK there. BVS is absolutely KILLING it in 4DX where adult tickets are £18 today. BvS also is doing well in IMAX, not great, but we'll. 

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think attendance wise at my local they're about even, but then you have to take other situations in to account. Zootropolis isn't strong in 3D, but BVS is doing OK there. BVS is absolutely KILLING it in 4DX where adult tickets are £18 today. BvS also is doing well in IMAX, not great, but we'll. 

Ofcourse. BvS has a lot more shows too, so it'll be a making a lot more money, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Zootropolis start to overtake it in the weekdays as we go further into the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Ofcourse. BvS has a lot more shows too, so it'll be a making a lot more money, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Zootropolis start to overtake it in the weekdays as we go further into the holidays.

Show wise here they're actually pretty equal, Eddie actually grabbed a 2D screen away from the big fight. I think if it happens, it'll be during the second week, but if my show this morning was anything to go by, BvS is still getting a lot of kids (and I wanted to murder the child behind me that wouldn't shut the fuck up). 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Show wise here they're actually pretty equal, Eddie actually grabbed a 2D screen away from the big fight. I think if it happens, it'll be during the second week, but if my show this morning was anything to go by, BvS is still getting a lot of kids (and I wanted to murder the child behind me that wouldn't shut the fuck up). 

Really? At one of my closest cinemas, Kingston Odeon, BvS is getting about 18-19 screenings a day compared to around 12 for Zootropolis, mostly due to the fact BvS has a lot of 8pm onwards showings that Zootropolis doesn't. 

20 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Really? At one of my closest cinemas, Kingston Odeon, BvS is getting about 18-19 screenings a day compared to around 12 for Zootropolis, mostly due to the fact BvS has a lot of 8pm onwards showings that Zootropolis doesn't. 

I forgot to count IMAX when I last looked, take that out and they're square. 

And damn, you aren't actually far from me then :lol:

• Like 1

'Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice' posts record-breaking $20.8m UK box office bow

Warner Bros’ epic battle achieves biggest ever Fri-Sun result for a superhero film.

Further distributor results to come…

WARNER BROS

Despite a less than heroic critical reception, Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice has posted a record-breaking UK debut over the Easter weekend.

Warner Bros’ epic battle soared to a terrific $20.8m (£14.63m) from its 614 sites for the biggest opening of 2016 to date, topping Deadpool’s five-day $19.5m (£13.73m) bow from 543 sites.

Batman v Superman’s opening also ranks as the biggest ever Fri-Sun result for a superhero film, surpassingAvengers: Age Of Ultron’s $20.4m (£14.42m). Overall, it ranks as the third biggest superhero opening, behind bothAvengers films due to their previews.

Including Bank Holiday Monday [March 28], Batman v Superman stands at $25.6m (£18.02m) meaning its opening four days are, remarkably, level to Age Of Ultron’s $25.5m (£18.02m).

It’s now a question of how much its soft critical response will impact on its holdovers. The first target will be Man Of Steel’s $42.5m (£30m) result as the biggest Superman film, which it could be close to toppling by the end of this coming weekend.

DISNEY

It might have missed out on the top spot, butZootropolis (AKA Zootopia) also enjoyed a strong start to its UK run.

Disney’s latest animation hopped to $7.5m (£5.3m), including $2.4m (£1.7m) in previews, from its 577 sites. That just missed out on being Walt Disney Animation Studios’ best-ever opening, which remains Bolt’s preview-boosted $7.7m (£5.45m) from 594 sites.

With school holidays running for two weeks, Zootropolisshould benefit from its strong critical reaction and word-of-mouth. It wouldn’t be a surprise for it to take around £1m, at least, each day.

After taking another $2.4m (£1.7m) on Monday, it stands at $10m (£7m) and while it’s unlikely to reach the mega heights of Frozen ($59.2m/£41.8m), you wouldn’t yet rule out £30m if it manages to sustain its run.

FOX

Suffering with the arrival of Zootropolis, Kung Fu Panda 3 dropped to third with a $1.7m (£1.2m) third weekend, a 26% drop.

Fox’s threequel is up to $13.5m (£9.49m) and will hope to benefit from the school holidays, despite the presence ofZootropolis, in order to challenge Kung Fu Panda’s $24m (£16.87m) result. The sequel’s $28.9m (£20.29m) is potentially too far away.

Also for Fox, Deadpool is now the fifth biggest superhero film of all time with $53.2m (£37.39m) after slicing its way to $293,000 (£205,940) over its seventh weekend.

Kapoor And Sons and Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip stand at $585,000 (£411,198) and $22.9m (£16.06m), respectively.

PARAMOUNT

10 Cloverfield Lane fell more than 50% in its second weekend as it rounded off this week’s top five.

Paramount’s sort-of sequel added $1.1m (£771,000), with a further $326,000 (£229,000) yesterday pushing it to $5.1m (£3.56m). It won’t match Cloverfield’s $13.7m (£9.6m) result.

LIONSGATE

Falling 47% in its fourth weekend, Lionsgate’s London Has Fallen shot to a further $804,000 (£564,470) for $13.8m (£9.68m) to date. It will soon hit £10m, a strong result given the critical mauling.

Also for Lionsgate, Sing Street dropped only 22% for a $134,000 (£93,889) second weekend in Ireland and a running total of $581,000 (£408,458).

EONE

In its third week, eOne’s The Divergent Series: Allegiant grossed $442,000 (£310,447) and has now crossed the £4m mark to stand at $5.7m (£4.02m), still some way short of Divergent ($9.4m/£6.6m) andInsurgent ($11.2m/£7.9m).

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

After three weeks in play, Curzon Artificial Eye’sAnomalisa stands at $817,000 (£573,651), taking an extra $80,000 (£55,983) over the weekend.

VERTIGO RELEASING

Opening in ten sites through Vertigo Releasing, Welcome To Me could only manage a $2,300 (£1,586) UK debut, rising to $2,800 (£1,942) including Monday.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week’s only saturation release is Lionsgate’s Eddie The Eagle, which opened yesterday and will have a seven-day opening.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Victoria receives a wide release, while Metrodome’s Black Mountain Poets and Arrow Films’ Anguish are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 5

That's a massive Monday for Zootropolis. With £1m weekdays, it'll be, at minimum, £13m by Sunday, although it'll probably be nearer to £15m. £30m+ looks like a good shout right now, however, The Jungle Book could hit it very hard. The Huntsman is also out next Monday.

Great for BvS too, biggest 3 day superhero opening, will be near £30m by Sunday, £40m should happen.

Deadpool becomes 5th highest grossing superhero film ever. A massive, and completely unexpected feat. Should end up around £38m, though I'm sure BvS will end up topping that.

Edited by Heretic

BvS has no competition apart from Eddie the Eagle this weekend which already started its run on Monday. The drop will be interesting, MoS dropped 55% against World War Z and DM2 previews so I imagine it'll be similar if not higher.

The fact it has business more spread out during the week will lead to a bigger drop, too.

I just saw it, 7pm show, about 75% full. The film was a mess, the pacing was absolutely horrendous, but I enjoyed it, more so the second half.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2016 at 9:43 AM, Jonwo said:

Will be interesting what the top ten cinemas are, suspect BFI IMAX or Vue Westfield London to be number 1. 

Empire & Odeon LS combined be #1 or if only one of them was playing would have been #1-3, Southbank always has issue of capacity(imagine if did seat more :), bit like Imax in Sydney as well)

top Engagements
all BvS
1-vue Westfield London
2-Imax Southbank
3-Vue Strathford
4-CW Sheffield
5-Oden Greenwich
6-Odeon Trafford
7-Odeon Manchester
8-Vue Star city Birmingham
9-CW Crawley
10-CW Enfield
11-Odeon Leicester Square
(combined with Empire LS #1)
12 NAC Bluewater

27 minutes ago, Rth said:

Empire & Odeon LS combined be #1 or if only one of them was playing would have been #1-3, Southbank always has issue of capacity(imagine if did seat more :), bit like Imax in Sydney as well)

top Engagements
all BvS
1-vue Westfield London
2-Imax Southbank
3-Vue Strathford
4-CW Sheffield
5-Oden Greenwich
6-Odeon Trafford
7-Odeon Manchester
9-CW Crawley
10-CW Enfield
12 NAC Bluewater

Any idea where Southampton Odeon came?

24 minutes ago, Rth said:

top Engagements
all BvS
1-vue Westfield London
2-Imax Southbank
3-Vue Strathford
4-CW Sheffield
5-Oden Greenwich
6-Odeon Trafford
7-Odeon Manchester
9-CW Crawley
10-CW Enfield
12 NAC Bluewater

One screen with 5-6 showtimes a day simply cannot compete with a multiplex who can do triple that amount of showtimes but number 2 is still pretty excellent. Where did Empire LS come in?