Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Crawley is 15, though our overall takings are going to dip for a bit after easter when the rest of the refurb is done (4 screens were closed for new seating prior to BvS/Zootropolis). 

I assume the first part of the refurb was to add 4DX. Would love to try it even though it's looks gimmicky. 

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

BvS $3.3m Tuesday for $28.9m. Great weekdays so far, should be nearing $45m by Sunday.

It'll be interesting if The Huntsman has any major impact on Monday, the first film did £3m+ over five days so I think £4-5m over seven days is doable although its not got the best release with The Jungle Book out the week after. 

Zootropolis really hurt KFP3, KFP3 is ahead takings wise due to coming out earlier but I reckon by the end of Easter, Zoo will overtake it. 

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I assume the first part of the refurb was to add 4DX. Would love to try it even though it's looks gimmicky. 

It'll be interesting if The Huntsman has any major impact on Monday, the first film did £3m+ over five days so I think £4-5m over seven days is doable although its not got the best release with The Jungle Book out the week after. 

Zootropolis really hurt KFP3, KFP3 is ahead takings wise due to coming out earlier but I reckon by the end of Easter, Zoo will overtake it. 

Zoo will probably overtake it by the end of this week. They were only a couple of millions apart. 

As for The Huntsman, I have a feeling it's gonna flop. Over the 7 days, it could do £4-5m, but after that, schools go back, and The Jungle Book arrives the week after, so it'll plummet.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gamb1993 said:

Any idea where Southampton Odeon came?

21 hours ago, Jonwo said:

One screen with 5-6 showtimes a day simply cannot compete with a multiplex who can do triple that amount of showtimes but number 2 is still pretty excellent. Where did Empire LS come in? 

10 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Wow, usually Enfield isn't quite as close to Crawley for these. IMAX effect maybe? 

only cound hundred between them, Imax was close to 40% for both

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Ding ding ding. They added 4DX back in November. Really worth it for the right and such as Jurassic World or Deadpool, but kinda pointless for others like Mockingjay and BvS. They did the 4 upstairs screens over the last few weeks, so there's still 10 to go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Zoo will probably overtake it by the end of this week. They were only a couple of millions apart. 

As for The Huntsman, I have a feeling it's gonna flop. Over the 7 days, it could do £4-5m, but after that, schools go back, and The Jungle Book arrives the week after, so it'll plummet.

Huntsman was screwed wherever it went, had it stayed in its April 22nd, Civil War would have killed it legs and Jungle Book while aimed at a younger audience will hurts its performance as well. 

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Ding ding ding. They added 4DX back in November. Really worth it for the right and such as Jurassic World or Deadpool, but kinda pointless for others like Mockingjay and BvS. They did the 4 upstairs screens over the last few weeks, so there's still 10 to go. 

I imagine it'd be great for Civil War, X-Men and Independence Day. I've noticed Warcraft has it as well. It's good to see big chains invest in their cinemas adding things like 4DX, IMAX etc as well as just general refurbishment.

While BvS has still got the IMAX/Liemax's, in cinemas near me Zootropolis is gaining a lot of the bigger screens from it for this weekend and next week. Wouldn't be surprised to see it ahead soon. 

Random extra thing, has anyone had ever had serial reliability problems from certain chains? I've only ever been to Cineworld three times; one time the projector broke down before the film even began, the next time the house lights couldn't be turned off the entire movie and the third time there were subtitles despite it not being a subtitle screening. Am I just ridiculously unlucky? I've been to Vue/Odeon/Empire hundreds of times and never had a single technical issue at any of them. 

I've only ever been to a cineworld once. They don't have many in London, at least not SW, most of my local cinemas are all Odeons, or I go to Vue Westfield Shepherds Bush. Never had any problems though.

Edited by Heretic

5 minutes ago, Subzero said:

So basically it will catch MOS by end of this weekend ?

Not quite. It looks like it'll be somewhere in the low 40s, it's gonna have a big drop this weekend. In pounds, it'll be very near, though.

It'll pass MoS some time next week. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Subzero said:

From the look of things it may not make that much more than MOS ? Can this go to $60mil by the end of its run ?

Say it's at about $41.5m by Sunday after an $8.5m 2nd weekend. Has another week of school holidays. Mon-Thu this week will be about $12m, so $5m next week will put it between $46-47m, and then a $4m 3rd weekend sees it hit $50m.

It could squeeze out another $10m, but it'll probably drop fast when The Jungle Book arrives, and then Captain America a couple of week later, so I'd say nearer $55m instead.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

I just took a quick look around at some cinemas, and BvS actually looks really bad. It's gonna have an absolutely huge drop from last Friday (Over 70%). It wouldn't surprise me if it drops close to 65% this weekend for around $7.5m instead. It's definitely not passing $60m by the looks of it, not even sure about $55m right now. Seems the rest of the world is following suit.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heretic said:

I just took a quick look around at some cinemas, and BvS actually looks really bad. It's gonna have an absolutely huge drop from last Friday (Over 70%). It wouldn't surprise me if it drops close to 65% this weekend for around $7.5m instead. It's definitely not passing $60m by the looks of it, not even sure about $55m right now. Seems the rest of the world is following suit.

60-65% is a good range for the second weekend drop, I think it'll be 61-62% simply because there's nothing out that would dent it. 

By the end of Easter, it'll be at £33-34m, I think it could eek out another £5-8m by the time Civil War comes out. Really depends on how The Jungle Book does.