Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

47 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Speaking of this weekend's releases, did anyone see Bastille Day? I thought it was fun & thrilling, I was impressed by its timeliness, plus it has Idris Elba and Foreign Downey Jr so nothing to complain about.

I need to go see it again, I was struggling to get in to it to start with, but enjoyed it enough. There was good chemistry and the action was solid. Can't see it really breaking out though.  Main thing I thought was, why couldn't they let mighty Idris and the king of the North just use their own accents? 

1 hour ago, Treetrunk Special said:

You know you can use Meerkate Movies in conjunction with unlimited card right?

Also how the fuck you get it for £2 when travel insurance is not eligible?

Travel insurance is eligible - you just don't get the meerkat toy!

And Meerkat Movies is the best option for me because I only see around a dozen films per year!

All the new releases suck tbh, probably Bastille Day is the only watchable film, but that looks mediocre at best, too. Anyhow Sat numbers: TJB £3.3m EITS £340k Zoo £320k Bastille £270k FR £200k BvS £200k Eddie £180. Bit disappointed by Eddie, thought it would breeze past £10m with ease.

• Like 5

Pre-sales for Civil War are looking crazy, midnight (My cinema has 6, which is a huge amount, usually films gets 2 or 3) and opening night shows are full already and this week ticket sales should skyrocket. Still saying this will break the 3 day OW record for a superhero film, and probably 4 day too with Bank holiday Monday, which will also soften its Sunday drop.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 8

The Jungle Book enjoys an terrific estimated £7.6m second weekend in the UK for £21m after ten days in play. Huge.

Holy fuck! That is one of the most impressive 2nd weekends in a long time, I'd say since Skyfall. I didn't even think its OW would be that high. This is heading for £35m easily, with a good chance at £40m now.

Even with Civil War next weekend, it should have a nice drop as its a holiday weekend, probably £4-5m 4 day. Next weekend will be huge.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

Impressive but I assume weekdays were slightly lower with kids being in schools which lead to a higher second OW. It probably helped there was literally nothing else out apart from Bastille Day which likely didn't make much of a dent 

Edited by Jonwo

DISNEY

The Jungle Book remained the king of the UK box office after an extraordinary second weekend.

Disney’s live-action remake followed up its excellent opening by falling only 19% to post a mighty $11.7m (£8.1m) weekend for a terrific $31.2m (£21.6m) after only ten days in play.

The Jungle Book has already overtaken the final results of Cinderella ($30.7m/£21.28m) and Maleficent ($29.4m/£20.4m), as well as becoming director Jon Favreau’s best-ever UK performer, surpassing Iron Man 2’s $30.6m (£21.18m).

On Saturday and Sunday, the remake took around ten times more than its closest rival, showcasing its complete domination of the weekend.

The arrival of stablemate Captain America: Civil War this Friday [April 29] will see it relinquish top spot, but with a four-day weekend, there’s every chance The Jungle Bookwill continue to prosper.

Also for Disney, Zootropolis fell 41% on its way to a $974,000 (£675,000) fifth weekend for $31.2m (£21.6m) to date. Catching Wreck-It Ralph’s $34.2m (£23.69m) could now be a struggle.

EONE

Eye In The Sky enjoyed a decent hold in its second weekend as it climbed up to second.

eOne’s thriller targeted an extra $1.2m (£825,349) for $3.8m (£2.62m) after ten days in play. It will soon become director Gavin Hood’s best UK performer, outside of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Also for eOne, Midnight Special stands at a likely disappointing $1.55m (£1.08m).

WARNER BROS

Friend Request rounded off this week’s top five after a soft UK opening.

Warner Bros’ cyber-horror scared up only $900,000 (£624,000), including $159,000 (£110,000) in previews, from its 402 sites.

Last year, the similarly-themed Unfriended opened with $1.9m (£1.35m) from its 436 sites, and went on to take $5m (£3.5m) in the UK.

Also for Warner Bros, Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice fought to $666,000 (£462,000) for $52.1m (£36.1m) after five weeks in play.

LIONSGATE

In its fourth weekend, Lionsgate’s Eddie The Eagle flew to an extra $568,000 (£393,915) for a healthy $11.5m (£7.99m) to date.

Also for Lionsgate, Criminal posted a hefty drop in its second weekend with $79,000 (£54,663) for $626,000 (£434,082), while London Has Fallen stands at a strong $15.7m (£10.92m).

Jane Got A Gun struggled on its UK debut as it grossed only $45,000 (£31,448) from its 119 sites at an average of $381 (£264).

In its Irish release, Sing Street has amassed an excellent $1.1m (£785,469) ahead of its release in the rest of the UK on May 20.

UNIVERSAL

Falling around 50% in its third weekend, Universal’s The Huntsman: Winter’s War took $458,000 (£317,695) for $7.2m (£4.97m).

It will end its run with well under half the $22.8m (£15.8m) result of Snow White And The Huntsman.

PICTUREHOUSE ENTERTAINMENT

Simulcast in 285 sites, Picturehouse Entertainment’sShakespeare Live! From The RSC grossed a non-final $359,000 (£248,693) with 15 sites still to report.

FOX

Now in its seventh weekend, Fox’s Kung Fu Panda 3chopped to a further non-final $207,000 (£143,732) for $19.5m (£13.49m) to date.

Also for Fox, Secret Cinema’s production of 28 Days Later… ran to a non-final $206,000 (£142,957) for $497,000 (£344,430) after two weeks.

DOGWOOF

Mapplethorpe: Look At The Pictures posted a UK bow of $33,000 (£23,128) from its 17 sites through Dogwoof.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

In its second weekend, Curzon Artificial Eye’s Our Little Sister grossed $30,000 (£20,749) for $133,000 (£92,157) to date.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees a saturation release for Disney’s Captain America: Civil War, while Vertigo Releasing’s Ratchet And Clank and Fox’s Demolition both receive wide release.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Son Of Saul, New Wave Films’Arabian Nights Volume 2: The Desolate One and Metrodome’s Hard Tide are among the films receiving a limited release.

£8M 2nd weekend!! WTF. £40m is the target now. This is having an incredible run so far. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 6

On 4/24/2016 at 3:53 AM, The Dark Alfred said:

All the new releases suck tbh, probably Bastille Day is the only watchable film, but that looks mediocre at best, too. Anyhow Sat numbers: TJB £3.3m EITS £340k Zoo £320k Bastille £270k FR £200k BvS £200k Eddie £180. Bit disappointed by Eddie, thought it would breeze past £10m with ease.

I think against BvS and Zootropolis, Eddie didn't stand a chance. 

Admissions update

Admissions figures – number of tickets sold – are in for March, showing a tidy 16% uptick on 2015, thanks to the contribution of titles including Batman v Superman, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen and Zootropolis. The result means that 2016 has made up ground that was lost in January (compared to the same month a year ago), ending the first quarter with admissions 2% up on the first three months of 2015. Admissions were strong in April 2015, thanks to Fast & Furious 7, Cinderella and The Avengers: Age of Ultron, and box office has been more down than up this month when compared to the 2015 equivalent weekends – so look for admissions numbers to fall behind once again.

Good news for 2016 so far. May should be huge, much bigger than last year.