Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 minutes ago, James said:

Any chance for it to match AoU'S $76m total?

Very slim. Depends how well it recovers, but X-Men is coming next week. $65-70m seems like a better target. ER has dropped a bit since AoU though, so drop in pounds will be less.

Edited by Heretic

Ouch for CW. Doesn't have much time to recover, only 10 days until X-Men arrives. Should hold well this week but regardless, overall drop from AoU is gonna be pretty significant.

Whole market suffers due to the good weather, but Disney retains the top two spots for second week in a row.

Further distributor results to come…

DISNEY

Not even superheroes can defy the sun at the UK box office.

Disney’s Captain America: Civil War posted a hefty 67% as it retained the top spot with a $6.9m (£4.8m) second weekend. By comparison, Batman v Superman fell 68%,Avengers: Age Of Ultron 52% and Avengers 49%.

Civil War stands at $39.4m (£27.4m) after ten days in play and is already the fifth biggest Marvel outing, withGuardians Of The Galaxy’s $41m (£28.5m) to be overtaken shortly.

Marvel’s latest will hope to rebound this coming weekend with a minimal drop, especially with the arrival of a fellow superhero heavyweight in the form of X-Men: Apocalypse on May 18.

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book experienced its first big drop, falling 63% on its way to a $3m (£2.1m) fourth weekend for a superb $53m (£36.8m) to date.

The live-action remake is set to become the biggest film of 2016, currently Deadpool’s $54.5m (£37.9m), in the coming days.

Zootropolis hopped to an extra $252,000 (£175,000) for $33m (£22.9m) after seven weeks in play.

UNIVERSAL

Bad Neighbours 2 was also arguably hit by the weather on its UK debut.

Universal’s comedy sequel partied to a $2.4m (£1.69m) bow from its 491 sites to chart third, posting a site average of $4,954 (£3,443).

That is less than half the opening $5m (£3.49m) Fri-Sun tally of Bad Neighbours as part of an overall debut of $12.4m (£8.64m) from 506 sites, with the film going on to take an impressive $23m (£16m).

This coming weekend will give a clearer indication if people stayed away because of the weather or out of apathy.

EONE

In its fourth weekend, eOne’s Eye In The Sky added $282,000 (£195,958) for a $6.2m (£4.3m) to date, and will still hope to hit the £5m after strong midweek performances.

WARNER BROS

Soon to log out of the chart, Warner Bros’ Friend Request could only scare up $92,000 (£64,000) for $2m (£1.36m) after three weeks in play.

Also for Warner Bros, Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice stands at $52.6m (£36.58m), and won’t catchDeadpool barring an unlikely late surge.

LIONSGATE

Released on behalf of Vertigo Films, Lionsgate’s Ratchet And Clank took $62,000 (£42,856) for $489,000 (£339,567) after ten days in play.

Also for Lionsgate, Eddie The Eagle has now amassed $12.3m (£8.52m).

SONY

Struggling on its UK bow, Sony’s Hank Williams biopic I Saw The Light grossed $24,000 (£17,000) from its 107 sites, marking a weak $229 (£159) site average.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Sony’s The Angry Birds Movie, Studiocanal’s Our Kind Of Traitor and Paramount’s Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

eOne’s Everybody Wants Some!! and Altitude’s Green Room both receive wide releases, while Universal’s The Darkness and Curzon Artificial Eye’s Mustang are among the films receiving a limited release.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Horrible weekend for everything, the weather obviously had a massive impact. We'll see some very light falls, or maybe some increases this weekend.

Forecast is for temperatures to return to normal later as the week progresses. I think CW can have a £4m 3rd weekend, for around £34m by Sunday.

Wouldn't surprise me to see TJB stay flat, even with Angry Birds opening. Could hit £40m by Sunday. £45m will happen, remains to be seen if it can leg it to £50m. It'll be a battle between CW and TJB for first place of the year so far.

Doubt Angry Bird's is gonna do that well, £2-3m at most for its opening.

• Like 3

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Captain America: Civil War (Disney) $6.9m (£4.8m) $39.4m (£27.4m)
2 The Jungle Book (Disney) $3m (£2.1m) $53m (£36.8m)
3 Bad Neighbours 2 (Universal) $2.4m (£1.69m) $2.4m (£1.69m)
4 Florence Foster Jenkins (Fox) $1m (£710,741) $1m (£710,741)
5 Robinson Crusoe (Studiocanal) $831,000 (£575,321) $831,000 (£575,321)
  • Like 2

speaking as someone who has lived in the UK all his life, I have never understood the trend to not go to the movies when we get a bit of sun. We still haven't grasped the art of enjoying the sun and going to see the film we want to see, all in the same weekend. 

9 hours ago, wildphantom said:

speaking as someone who has lived in the UK all his life, I have never understood the trend to not go to the movies when we get a bit of sun. We still haven't grasped the art of enjoying the sun and going to see the film we want to see, all in the same weekend. 

It's just the first weekend more than anything, as it's a novelty, after that it isn't such a big deal. 

I wonder how many $50m+ films there will be this year. Last year there was 8, tying with 2005 as the most ever.

We have 3 already with BvS, Deadpool and Jungle Book, with Civil War soon to join. Althought we likely won't have a $100m grosser (2 last year), unless Rogue One makes it, we could have a record number of films topping 50m. Rogue One, Finding Dory and Fantastic Beasts are guaranteed. So that's 7. Suicide Squad, Secret Life of Pets, Independence Day, Moana and Bridget Jones all have the potential to be big hits, and then there's wildcards like The BFG, Pete's Dragon, Tarzan etc. One of them is bound to break out, while some may also flop. But we could have 8 or 9 50m hits again. Impressive considering the falling ER.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

I wonder how many $50m+ films there will be this year. Last year there was 8, tying with 2005 as the most ever.

We have 3 already with BvS, Deadpool and Jungle Book, with Civil War soon to join. Althought we likely won't have a $100m grosser (2 last year), unless Rogue One makes it, we could have a record number of films topping 50m. Rogue One, Finding Dory and Fantastic Beasts are guaranteed. So that's 7. Suicide Squad, Secret Life of Pets, Independence Day, Moana and Bridget Jones all have the potential to be big hits, and then there's wildcards like The BFG, Pete's Dragon, Tarzan etc. One of them is bound to break out, while some may also flop. But we could have 8 or 9 50m hits again. Impressive considering the falling ER.

I'm starting to get the feeling Independence Day is going to be much bigger than people think it will be. 

Not even Euro 2016 will prevent people coming out in big numbers for that when it arrives. If it's good I can see it doing $50 million. 

The amount of ID4 marketing I've seen during Premier League matches in the last few weeks has been surprising, so awareness is definitely there. Like 2012 it feels like it's something that'll be pretty muted when it comes to Internet buzz, but will do well when it matters. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The amount of ID4 marketing I've seen during Premier League matches in the last few weeks has been surprising, so awareness is definitely there. Like 2012 it feels like it's something that'll be pretty muted when it comes to Internet buzz, but will do well when it matters. 

I can see IDR opening at number 1 with Pets at number 2, Pets will do well and it has previews the week before but it faces Ice Age previews the week after, The BFG a few weeks after that then Dory, it's not going to have a easy ride like Minions did. ID has no real competition until two weeks later when it faces Tarzan and NYSM2 and then Ghostbusters the week after so it has plenty of time to make money before the July onslaught.

Angry Birds seems to be doing quite well actually, first animated film since Zootopia, should have a decent opening.

Everything looks like it's doing better this weekend, should hopefully see some nice drops.