Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I assume they are planning to get it opened for Warcraft's opening at the earliest or perhaps IDR at the latest. 

From what I can tell, the plan is to get it back open next Friday. Aka, in time for Alice, but that isn't booking in IMAX yet, and neither is Warcraft. I've heard a rumbling that Ninja Turtles is due to go IMAX as well, so this place could get really cluttered if that is the case. 

And ha ha @Telemachos....... I hope you're wrong though :lol:

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

From what I can tell, the plan is to get it back open next Friday. Aka, in time for Alice, but that isn't booking in IMAX yet, and neither is Warcraft. I've heard a rumbling that Ninja Turtles is due to go IMAX as well, so this place could get really cluttered if that is the case. 

And ha ha @Telemachos....... I hope you're wrong though :lol:

I suspect Alice isn't getting IMAX in the UK due to X-Men. Warcraft is booking in IMAX for the BFI, Edinburgh and Sheffield for example so I expect TMNT2 won't get IMAX either.

I think the IMAX schedule for the summer will be X-Men, Warcraft, Independence Day, The Legend of Tarzan, Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad. This is purely a guess but it would make sense. 

Alice is getting IMAX, it's already booking at Odeon. X-Men keeps an evening show, though. I think Alice could really take advantage of half term holidays, I'm expecting decent  numbers for it.

Independence Day has already started pre-sales. The potential is big, although releasing during the Euro and Wimbledon isn't the best timing...

• Like 1

I've noticed on cineworld's website they're now listing Ghostbusters as opening on July 11th, instead of the 15th - which is a Monday. There have been instances this year of movies opening on a Monday, which will include Warcraft and Turtles 2 on May 30th. 

Can anyone confirm Ghostbusters is indeed coming out a few days earlier now? It definitely read 15th on the site and has only just changed to the 11th. 

15 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I've noticed on cineworld's website they're now listing Ghostbusters as opening on July 11th, instead of the 15th - which is a Monday. There have been instances this year of movies opening on a Monday, which will include Warcraft and Turtles 2 on May 30th. 

Can anyone confirm Ghostbusters is indeed coming out a few days earlier now? It definitely read 15th on the site and has only just changed to the 11th. 

That appears to be correct, DCM are reporting as 11th July. https://twitter.com/DCM_cinema_news/status/732925102581387267

The cynical side of me thinks Sony is doing this to do get number 1 position although both it and Ice Age 5 opening will be seven days worth of takings since Ice Age has previews. NSYM2 has a Monday opening as well as does The Conjuring 2. Wonder if Star Trek Beyond or The BFG will move up a few days?

Cineworld has Money Monster coming out next weekend. Just found out my local IMAX has reopened with a new screen and Atmos style sound system. No laser projection, but I'm looking forward to trying it out later. 

Seriously surprised by the lack of numbers for X-Men, 3 days and still nothing? Kinda worrying. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

£2.1m in two days (Wednesday & Thursday). DOFP did £1.6m from a Thursday preview.

Could have been worse tbh. 

Looks like we're doing another 2013 when it comes to advance booking. Currently I see Cineworld doing advance booking for: Alice, Ninja Turtles, Warcraft, The Nice Guys, The Conjuring, Secret Life of Pets and Independence Day. And I believe that BFG is going on sale soon too. Pretty sure I've seen Now You See Me on sale elsewhere as well. Insanity. 

14 minutes ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

£2.1m in two days (Wednesday & Thursday). DOFP did £1.6m from a Thursday preview.

Not bad. It won't match DoFP, but no one really expected that. Still, should be able to do £7.5-8m for the 5 day. 

The market is becoming incredibly crowded in the next week for half term. We'll have Civil War, Jungle Book (which seems to be still doing really well this weekend), Angry Birds, X-men, Alice, Warcraft and TMNT all fighting for screens. Something will have to disappoint. 

Edited by Heretic

13 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Not bad. It won't match DoFP, but no one really expected that. Still, should be able to do £7.5-8m for the 5 day. 

The market is becoming incredibly crowded in the next week for half term. We'll have Civil War, Jungle Book (which seems to be still doing really well this weekend), Angry Birds, X-men, Alice, Warcraft and TMNT all fighting for screens. Something will have to disappoint. 

Don't forget Me Before You and The Nice Guys squeezing in at the end of half term week. It's pretty nuts at that moment. Just how I like it :wub: