Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

What the heck is a bank holiday?

Basically public holidays like 4th of July in the US and so on. Looks like India inherited the terminology of bank holidays from the British since banks are mainly Government controlled and adhere to government sanctioned holidays.

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

What the heck is a bank holiday?

Bank holiday = national holiday.

There are 8 bank holidays per year I think - Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, plus 3 Mondays scattered throughout the year. One of which is next week.

Edited by Treetrunk Special

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

So they're just random holidays, not tied to any particular event? Do they vary from year to year?

Other than the 5 for Easter/Christmas, no they are not in celebration of anything. They don't vary - there is one at the start of May, one at the end of May, and one at the end of August.

Since it's covered under the UK movie market: In the Republic of Ireland there are 4 Monday Bank Holidays spread through the year, one in May, June, August and October each, since we only have 5 public holidays: New Year's (Jan 1), St. Patrick's (Mar 17), Easter Monday (first Monday after Easter, in March or April), Christmas and St. Stephen's Day (Dec 25).

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

When Alice in Wonderland came out, you couldn't get a seat for love nor money in IMAX. I just left an IMAX screening that had less than 40 people. This is falling. Hard. 

Less than half of the original's OW wouldn't surprise me and it's only going to fall harder with Warcraft and Turtles on Monday. 

7 hours ago, Heretic said:

£2.2m opening for Alice. Horrendous. Didn't think it'd be that bad. First opened to £10.6m. 

:ohmygod: 

That is a what? 80% drop for the first one's OW?

Should be a big bank holiday Monday.

TMNT2 and Warcraft both open today, and from what I'm seeing it looks like both of them are doing pretty well. Don't know which one will win today, maybe Warcraft due to some IMAX shows (which it's doing very well in), as well as it being more adult skewing too.

X-Men could top both of them though, will be interesting to see. Alice will probably end up in 4th. So bad.

Just a final note, TJB is still doing amazingly, I can't believe it. It's still selling out this afternoon, 6 weeks after release. If it wasn't for so much competition, it likely would have hit £50m.

Edited by Heretic

Me Before You and The Nice Guys come out on Friday so I imagine Jungle Book, Civil War and Bad Neighbours 2 will see show times cut due to being the oldest films still on release. 

Will be interesting how Money Monster did, it's a good alternative to the big blockbusters so I reckon it's done okay.

Edited by Jonwo