Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm in a really packed TMNT screening right now, hope it's translating everywhere. Warcraft in IMAX was around 60% full for me earlier, really impressed by that. Good film too. 

You liked WArCraft?

24 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yup! Cheesy as hell, but really entertaining. 

My feelings exactly.

I kinda loved it really. It does have a number of objective flaws, I just found that they didn't stop me from really enjoying it.

I am a big fan of the Warcraft universe though so that probably helped.

• Like 1

@CJohn

Haven't done much tracking but I did get the opportunity to look at various shows at various sites for Warcraft and it was all pretty busy. Schools are on holiday this week so both movies will do well, particularly TMNT as it's for kids. Everything does well at half term... I mean, there's a showing of Zootopia tomorrow at my local cinema and even though the movie's been out for 2 months, it's sold out.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rth said:

for Monday Warcraft #1 with a bullet(see if that lasts)  TMNT2 #4

Lmao that is horrible for TMNT2. It means it is below Alice 2 lol.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Lmao that is horrible for TMNT2. It means it is below Alice 2 lol.

Or maybe even Angry Birds took 3rd place.

I just had a look at shows, and it looks absolutely packed. By far the busiest film, but less showtimes.

• Like 1

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Wkend gross Cume
1 X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) $3.7m (£2.54m) $18.9m (£12.96m)
2 Alice Through The Looking Glass (Disney) $3.3m (£2.23m) $4.5m (£3.1m)
3 The Angry Birds Movie (Sony) $1.34m (£920,000) $9.1m (£6.25m)
4 Money Monster(Sony) $1.19m (£820,000) $1.62m (£1.11m)
5 The Jungle Book(Disney) $1.14m (£780,000) $62.6m (£42.9m)

FOX

In an increasingly crowded marketplace, X-Men: Apocalypse managed to hold off all newcomers to retain its UK lead for the second consecutive week.

Fox’s latest instalment fell around 50% (excluding previews) on its way to a $3.7m (£2.54m) second weekend. With a non-final $1.22m (£838,893) added yesterday [May 30], it stands at $18.9m (£12.96m).

Apocalypse should overtake likes of X-Men: First Class($21.92m/£15.03m) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine($23.75m/£16.28m) by the end of this coming weekend.

Also for Fox, Florence Foster Jenkins added $107,000 (£73,255) over the weekend and now stands at $4.2m (£2.9m).

Kung Fu Panda 3 and Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip have amassed $20.1m (£13.77m) and $24.3m (£16.67m), respectively.

DISNEY

Alice Through The Looking Glass echoed its disappointing North American bow in the UK as it charted second.

Disney’s sequel sailed to $3.3m (£2.23m) from its 590 sites, some way down on Alice In Wonderland’s huge $15.4m (£10.56m) bow from 533 sites in March 2010.

Alice will hope to recover over the school holidays this week and has got off to a strong start, with $1.24m (£850,000) banked yesterday, lifting its running total to $4.5m (£3.1m).

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book fell 46% with a $1.14m (£780,000) seventh weekend. It is still set for a decent half term with $547,000 (£375,000) taken yesterday, meaning it has now swung to an excellent $62.6m (£42.9m).

Captain America: Civil War fought to an extra $975,000 (£668,000) over the weekend and stands at $52.2m (£35.8m).

SONY

The Angry Birds Movie fell to third with a $1.34m (£920,000) third weekend.

Sony’s animated video game adaptation grossed an extra $693,000 (£475,000) yesterday, meaning it has now flown to $9.1m (£6.25m) in the UK ahead of what is likely to be a prosperous week.

Also for Sony, Money Monster banked a healthy $1.19m (£820,000) from its 414 sites on its UK debut.

The result means it’s already Jodie Foster’s best UK outing as director (though it also received her widest-ever release), and the film stands at $1.62m (£1.11m) as of yesterday.

PARAMOUNT

Alongside Warcraft, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows opened yesterday to take advantage of the school holidays.

Paramount’s sequel sliced to a non-final $1.05m (£720,000) from its 448 sites and will have a seven-day opening in next week’s [June 3-5] chart.

UNIVERSAL

Falling around 50% in its fourth weekend, Universal’sBad Neighbours 2 added a further $572,000 (£392,257) and has amassed $8.6m (£5.92m) to date.

Figures aren’t yet available for Warcraft: The Beginning’s opening day, but reports are that it topped the market yesterday.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Love & Friendship was the undoubted success story of the Bank Holiday weekend at the UK box office.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Jane Austen adaptation scored an excellent non-final $381,000 (£261,330) debut, including $22,000 (£15,326) in previews, from its 80 sites, marking a terrific $4,767 (£3,267) site average.

Including Monday’s take of $167,000 (£114,441) with one site still to report, Love & Friendship has grossed $548,000 (£375,771) and will shortly become Whit Stillman’s best UK performer.

Also for Curzon Artificial Eye, Mustang stands at $349,000 (£239,420).

LIONSGATE

From its Vue-exclusive release, Lionsgate’s Miniscule: Valley Of The Lost Ants posted a UK bow of $142,000 (£97,647) from its 74 sites, and has taken $240,000 (£164,258) as of yesterday.

Also for Lionsgate, Sing Street added $103,000 (£70,276) over Fri-Sun and has now amassed $1.7m (£1.15m).

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Posting a hefty drop in its second weekend, Icon Film Distributon’s A Hologram For The King could only take $123,000 (£84,059) for $1.03m (£707,790) to date.

METRODOME

The Daughter enjoyed a $49,000 (£33,582) UK opening, including previews, from its 23 sites through Metrodome. As of yesterday, it’s up to $58,000 (£39,777).

EONE

From its one-site release, eOne’s Bobby grossed $1,500 (£1,061) on its UK debut.

UPCOMING RELEASES

Aside from Warcraft and Turtles, this week also sees saturation releases for Icon Film Distribution’s The Nice Guys and Warner Bros’ Me Before You on Friday [June 3].

Altitude’s Race receives a wide release, while Dogwoof’sVersus: The Life And Films Of Ken Loach and Studiocanal’s Only Yesterday are among the films receiving a limited release.

Good bank holiday Monday. Surprisingly decent number for Alice. Still, a horrendous drop from the third, it'll struggle to match even its OW.

The Jungle Book is still the most impressive figure. It will make a further £1m or so over Tue-Thu, and after the weekend, it will be comfortably over £44m, maybe nearer £45m. Seems it's heading for around £47m ($68m). Although unlikely it hits the £50m mega-blockbuster mark, with the way it has played so far, anything can happen. The next major competition is Pets, which has previews on the 18th and 19th before its proper opening the following week, so it has another few weeks before it fades. To hit $70m, it needs £48m. Either way, an incredible run.

Warcraft OD must have been near £1m ($1.45m) if it topped the market, which is pretty good. 7 day opening should be around £5m ($7.3m). Decent for TMNT2, looks like a £4m ($5.8m) 7 day.

Apocalypse will end up near £20m, but not much further. Quite a fall from DoFP's £28m, but still a good number compared to other X-men installments.  

Angry Birds should have a very prosperous half term which means it will hit £10m in the end.

Civil War will end up beating IM3, Deadpool and BvS in the end, heading for about £37.5-38m ($55m). 

What a crowded market right now!

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

How much do we think Warcraft will end on?

I thought it was going to be gutter trash from the reviews I had read but was pleasantly suprised.

Probably not much more than £10m ($15m). After half term it'll probably drop off quickly.

£1.02m ($1.5m) OD, btw.

20 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

How much do we think Warcraft will end on?

I thought it was going to be gutter trash from the reviews I had read but was pleasantly suprised.

Threre is a huge descripancy between Word of Mouth and critics about Warcraft.Surprisngly many enjoyed the film's creenings(even non fans) and that led to a very good oppening in some countries.

I saw the movie and i enjoyed it very much,its not just a decent fantasy film its a good fantasy film that worths to be watched, especially in IMAX it has its flows but nowhere near as some portrait it to be.

• Like 2

I think tonight Me Before You looks pretty strong. Both evening shows are looking over 80% full, and the 8pm one is almost sold out. Why there isn't a second screen tonight when they're still showing Civil War is beyond me, especially when The Nice Guys has a second screen. 

• Like 1

The Jungle Book is back to the biggest screen at Odeon Guildford, and second biggest at my local. Crazy.

And yeah, Me Before You looks really busy tonight, it definitely doesn't have as many showtimes as it should/needs.

Edited by Heretic