Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think tonight Me Before You looks pretty strong. Both evening shows are looking over 80% full, and the 8pm one is almost sold out. Why there isn't a second screen tonight when they're still showing Civil War is beyond me, especially when The Nice Guys has a second screen. 

Glad you posted this, reminded me to book a ticket for tonight.

I booked a preferred seat back on Monday to see it tonight at 5.50, think I made a good move there. I can definitely see some movies getting cancelled tonight. Also, TMNT now has most shows at my local for this weekend, shading Warcraft by 1. Alice is a few behind, nothing else really has many screens. We're down to just 1 on X-Men already. 

I think they're giving way more screens than is needed for TMNT. Vue Westfield has already added a show at 18:45 for Me Before You, the 19:45 is completely sold out. This is gonna do REALLY well, most places tonight only have 1 evening show, 2 at most. It'll sell out everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I think they're giving way more screens than is needed for TMNT. Vue Westfield has already added a show at 18:45 for Me Before You, the 19:45 is completely sold out. This is gonna do REALLY well, most places tonight only have 1 evening show, 2 at most. It'll sell out everywhere.

I'm awaiting cancellations at my local tonight. Glad I'm not planning to watch anything else tonight. 

According to Deadline, Warcraft was fourth on Friday which isn't good considering it debuted at number 1 on Monday. Because of previews, it will likely get top spot but I forsee a big drop next weekend. Me Before You I imagine will be number 1 Friday-Sunday.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Again, these 7 day opening rules are a joke. 

So Me Before You WINS the weekend, yet came third? 

They can't change this rule soon enough if you ask me. 

Me Before You is no.1 in my eyes. 

who really gives a rat's ass, it's just an arbitrary ranking. 

I remember last year when Inside Out was slaughtering everything but because Paper Towns had like 9 days of previews, it beat IO despite actually being 5th or some shit.

It doesn't really matter either way. Yes it is a bit silly but why do we need to focus on the opening weekend? movies open all sorts of days. idk if you are in the UK but most big-budget movies do not open on a Friday here. especially when it's the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

who really gives a rat's ass, it's just an arbitrary ranking. 

I remember last year when Inside Out was slaughtering everything but because Paper Towns had like 9 days of previews, it beat IO despite actually being 5th or some shit.

It doesn't really matter either way. Yes it is a bit silly but why do we need to focus on the opening weekend? movies open all sorts of days. idk if you are in the UK but most big-budget movies do not open on a Friday here. especially when it's the holidays.

I'm just saying a week long opening being bundled in with weekend figures just isn't right. It's false advertising. 

It doesn't happen in the US, so why should it in the UK? 

You're right about Paper Towns too. That was a joke as well. 

If the equivalent happened in the US you can bet there'd be plenty on the boards giving a rats ass about it ?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I always thought it fell just short :lol: even more impressive after the opening Thursday. 

It was pretty close - from wikipedia:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I'm just saying a week long opening being bundled in with weekend figures just isn't right. It's false advertising. 

It doesn't happen in the US, so why should it in the UK? 

You're right about Paper Towns too. That was a joke as well. 

If the equivalent happened in the US you can bet there'd be plenty on the boards giving a rats ass about it ?

I think previews should be including in the total but not the opening weekend. Conjuring 2, NYSM2 and Ghostbusters have Monday opening and Ice Age has two weeks worth of previews which will be bundled into its opening weekend so it's clearly going to continue.

no-one interested in the box office this week??

top 5:

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Warcraft: The Beginning (Universal) $5.23m (£3.62m) $5.23m (£3.62m)
2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows (Paramount) $5.05m (£3.5m) $5.05m (£3.5m)
3 Me Before You (WB) $2.57m (£1.78m) $2.57m (£1.78m)
4 Alice Through The Looking Glass (Disney) $2m (£1.35m) $10.1m (£7m)
5 X-Men: Apocalypse (Fox) $1.8m (£1.25m) $22.9m (£15.85m)

pretty boring weekend really.. too much competition for anything to do great

• Like 7