Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Pets will do very well but I imagine it'll top out at £20-25m due to the insane amount of kiddy competition with Ice Age, The BFG and Dory. 

The Legend of Tarzan has moved up two days to 6th July, don't it'll improve its chances though. I wonder if Star Trek Beyond will move to mid week to get a head start on The BFG

Edited by Jonwo

In light of the record breaking openings in the US and Australia, there's a possibility that Finding Dory could challenge TS3 in the UK, which is by far the biggest animated film of all time here (£74m), and the 6th biggest film ever. It won't break the animated opening record though, TS3 opened on a Monday and its 7-day was lumped into one figure.

However, I'd say chances are still rather slim, but it can't be completely dismissed. Competition is quite strong, Ice Age releases 2 weeks before, both The BFG (which is popular in the UK), and Star Trek open the week before, and Pete's Dragon (Although a break-out seems unlikely) 2 weeks after.

It's releasing at the perfect time, 1 week after schools have broken up, similar to TS3, so it'll have 5 weeks to take advantage of holidays. Reviews are also on its side, and Finding Nemo is still hugely popular. So we'll see. Right now, I'd say something like £60m ($88m) is likelier. Whatever happens, the pound is weaker than it was in 2010, so there is no chance it matches TS3's $116m. That would require £80m. Concerning ER, a lot is depending on the EU referendum this week. The pound could plummet if the UK votes to leave.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

In light of the record breaking openings in the US and Australia, there's a possibility that Finding Dory could challenge TS3 in the UK, which is by far the biggest animated film of all time here (£74m), and the 6th biggest film ever. It won't break the animated opening record though, TS3 opened on a Monday and its 7-day was lumped into one figure.

However, I'd say chances are still rather slim, but it can't be completely dismissed. Competition is quite strong, Ice Age releases 2 weeks before, both The BFG (which is popular in the UK), and Star Trek open the week before, and Pete's Dragon (Although a break-out seems unlikely) 2 weeks after.

It's releasing at the perfect time, 1 week after schools have broken up, similar to TS3, so it'll have 5 weeks to take advantage of holidays. Reviews are also on its side, and Finding Nemo is still hugely popular. So we'll see. Right now, I'd say something like £60m ($88m) is likelier. Whatever happens, the pound is weaker than it was in 2010, so there is no chance it matches TS3's $116m. That would require £80m. Concerning ER, a lot is depending on the EU referendum this week. The pound could plummet if the UK votes to leave.

I can't see Dory challenging Toy Story 3 at all here. That was on another level of insane, and I haven't sensed anywhere close to the same level of nostalgia towards Dory. I think right now, £60m sounds about right. Tbh, can't actually see it breaking the animated OW either, Minions was just too damn strong. 

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

Heretic, how is Pets doing so far in previews?

Amazingly well.

Had the highest previews of all time for an original animated film.

Full weekend report:

James Wan horror lands top while Universal’s The Secret Life Of Pets scores biggest ever Saturday/Sunday preview haul for an original animation.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Conjuring 2(WB) $6.8m (£4.64m) $6.8m (£4.64m)
2 Me Before You(WB) $1.43m (£979,126) $9.6m (£6.54m)
3 Gods Of Egypt(eOne) $703,000 (£481,536) $703,000 (£481,536)
4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows(Paramount) $631,000 (£432,000) $8m (£5.47m)
5 Alice Through The Looking Glass (Disney) $611,000 (£417,259) $13.2m (£8.99m)

WARNER BROS

The Conjuring 2 has unsurprisingly topped the UK box office after a strong run since last Monday’s [June 13] launch.

Warner Bros’ horror sequel scared up $6.8m (£4.64m) from its 504 sites, including $2.7m (£1.86m) in previews. It’s worth noting that its Fri-Sun tally of $4.1m (£2.78m) would have also seen it officially land the top spot.

The opening marks director James Wan’s best-ever horror debut, ahead of Insidious Chapter 2’s $4.21m (£2.88m) from 414 sites. The Conjuring 2’s Fri-Sun tally was also higher than its predecessor’s $3.15m (£2.16m) bow from 371 sites.

The Conjuring 2 will hope to thrive as the sole major genre effort out in the market at the moment, and should comfortably top The Conjuring’s $15.4m (£10.5m) final UK result.

Also for Warner Bros, Me Before You continued its excellent run as it dropped one place to second. The adaptation fell only a third with $1.43m (£979,126) for $9.6m (£6.54m) after three weeks in play.

Barbershop 3: A Fresh Cut opened with $134,000 (£91,502) from its 111 sites, ahead of Barbershop 2’s $107,000 (£73,402) from 45 sites but down on the original’s $213,000 (£145,741) bow from 100 sites.

UNIVERSAL

Though it won’t be counted until next week, The Secret Life Of Pets comfortably led the UK market over Saturday and Sunday.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment release scored the biggest ever Sat/Sun preview haul for an original animation with a mighty two-day total of $5.3m (£3.6m).

It not only bodes well for its official opening this Friday [June 24], but also suggests that Independence Day: Resurgence has a fight on its hands for the top spot this coming weekend.

Also for Universal, Warcraft: The Beginning fought to an additional $467,000 (£319,486) for $8.3m (£5.7m) after three weeks in play, while The Boss generated $432,000 (£295,321) for a ten-day tally of $1.87m (£1.28m).

EONE

After being pushed back a few months Gods Of Egyptstill struggled to make a mark at the UK box office, despite charting third.

Battling negative reviews, eOne’s action fantasy posted a non-final bow of $703,000 (£481,536) from its 405 sites, marking a site average of $1,736 (£1,189) and a total some way short of the $3.7m (£2.5m) UK debut of Alex Proyas’ previous film, Knowing.

PARAMOUNT

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadowsfell almost 50% with a $631,000 (£432,000) third weekend.

Paramount’s sequel is now up to $8m (£5.47m), still less than half of the original’s $20.3m (£13.9m) final UK result.

DISNEY

Rounding off this week’s top five, Disney’s Alice Through The Looking Glass sailed to a $611,000 (£417,259) fourth weekend for $13.2m (£8.99m) to date.

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book fell only 40% with a $342,000 (£233,758) tenth weekend and has now swung to an outstanding $66.5m (£45.43m).

Captain America: Civil War and Zootropolis stand at $54m (£36.87m) and $34.6m (£23.61m), respectively.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

In its third weekend, Icon Film Distribution’s The Nice Guys took in an extra $600,000 (£411,068) for $4.4m (£3.02m) to date.

FOX

Falling 46% in its fifth weekend, Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse added a non-final $551,000 (£377,383) for $25.9m (£17.76m) so far.

It seems unlikely that it’ll catch X-Men: The Last Stand’s $28.1m (£19.22m) UK result, meaning Apocalypse will end its run as only the fifth highest-grossing outing of the series.

SONY

The Angry Birds Movie is edging towards £10m at the UK box office, with the previews of The Secret Life Of Pets impacting it this weekend.

Sony’s animation flew to a further $345,000 (£236,191) for $14.2m (£9.74m) after six weeks in play.

LIONSGATE

Following its soft opening, Lionsgate’s Mother’s Daydropped around 60% on its way to a $219,000 (£150,000) second weekend for $1.27m (£868,000).

Also for Lionsgate, The Keeping Room posted a UK bow of $38,000 (£25,839) from its 18 sites.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Matteo Garrone’s English-language debut Tale Of Talesgrossed a non-final $175,000 (£119,310), including previews, from its 74 sites on its UK debut through Curzon Artificial Eye.

Also for Curzon Artificial Eye, Love & Friendship now stands at an impressive $2.08m (£1.42m) following a $156,000 (£106,444) fourth weekend.

NEW WAVE FILMS

Released on eight screens through New Wave Films,Cemetery Of Splendour recorded a UK debut of $7,400 (£5,097) including a preview at the Tate of $2,100 (£1,423).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’sIndependence Day: Resurgence (opens June 23) and Universal’s The Secret Life Of Pets following its previews over the weekend.

eOne’s Elvis & Nixon receives a wide release, while Studiocanal’s Becoming Zlatan, Sony’s The Meddler and Soda Pictures’ Remainder are among the films receiving a limited release.

Good opening for The Conjuring 2.

Me Before You is doing very well, could leg it out to £10m.

Huge preview numbers for Pets, with the full opening this weekend, total opening with previews will probably be near, or above £8m. Should have a great run, bigger than Zootopia. Maybe £30m is on the table.

Jungle Book will end its amazing run at £46m, and X-Men will probably top out around £18.5m. Pretty average.

• Like 4

Big weekend upcoming with Pets and Independence Day.

The former is already doing great, with previews I imagine it'll top the weekend with £8m-ish. ID4 I'm really unsure about. Opens on Thursday, I could see £5-6m 4 day. Then again, it could break out and top £7m, the potential is definitely there. More likely than not that this one is a dud though, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

Pets doesn't have an easy ride with Ice Age previews In two weeks then BFG then Dory but I think high £20m is likely 

Didnt The Lego Movie do over £8m OW with previews? I guess that had a higher OW but smaller previews 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Pets doesn't have an easy ride with Ice Age previews In two weeks then BFG then Dory but I think high £20m is likely 

Didnt The Lego Movie do over £8m OW with previews? I guess that had a higher OW but smaller previews 

Opening with £8.05m including £2.16m in previews, The Lego Movie has achieved the strongest start for a non-sequel animation since The Simpsons Movie in July 2007 – although excluding preview figures, it was beaten by the opening weekend of 2009's Up, with £6.41m.

Pet's definitely has the potential to top The Lego Movie I'd say. Minimum would be £7m.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Pet's definitely has the potential to top The Lego Movie I'd say. Minimum would be £7m.

Pets only needs a £4.5m OW to top the Lego Movie's OW which is very doable given the higher previews. I imagine Dory will win the battle of the family films with Pets second then The BFG then Ice Age.

The Conjuring 2 did very solid business, even its Friday to Sunday numbers were better then the first film. it'll easily top the gross of the first film. 

Looking ahead, there is the battle of the comedies with Central Intelligence and Ab Fab, both targeting different demos. I reckon CI will come out top but it'll be close. 

• Like 1