Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That reminds me of what happened in Brazil since 2014, the numbers in USD seriously took a hit despite a strong growth in local currency.

The UK being a bigger market, the effect could be more noticeable.

It's not going to be as bad as the Brazil situation where the currency's value was halved in a period of time.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not going to be as bad as the Brazil situation where the currency's value was halved in a period of time.

Of course not, at least I don't think so. However the lesser fall of the Pound could be more painful for Hollywood than the strong fall of the Real.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No reason to think that the exchange rate will actually be better a year from now.

Particularly if Scotland tries to leave the UK.

And people wanting to watch it would download the US version anyway.

I wonder what the impact of this will be on this weekends BO, and more especially today. I doubt many will be going to the cinema today. 

The irony that Independance Day has just opened. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Heretic said:

It has, true. Nearly at 1.4 already.

It's only because the Bank of England promised to inject $345B into the financial system, it's a short-term fix that doesn't indicate the long term trend.

Edited by Fullbuster

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

IDR seems to be doing alright, but Pets is doing fantastic. Looks busier than ID even in night shows. 

Way busier , with previews IDR WE looking lc4.5-4.8(ID4 7m with prev), Pets with prev 9-9.6m .Without previews Pets be at least  50% higher than IDR 

• Like 8

With a second referendum about Scotland leaving the UK and more likely to be won by the independents I wonder how much that would affect the UK BO?

Scotland only has 5.4 million inhabitants so probably not much, but it could be difficult to beat previous records in £, $ and admissions. Being the biggest European movie market along France it could lose ground and enabling France to take the crown.

1 hour ago, Rth said:

Way busier , with previews IDR WE looking lc4.5-4.8(ID4 7m with prev), Pets with prev 9-9.6m .Without previews Pets be at least  50% higher than IDR 

Huge for Pets! £30m+ potential for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

With a second referendum about Scotland leaving the UK and more likely to be won by the independents I wonder how much that would affect the UK BO?

Scotland only has 5.4 million inhabitants so probably not much, but it could be difficult to beat previous records in £, $ and admissions. Being the biggest European movie market along France it could lose ground and enabling France to take the crown.

It would had an impact, but not that much of a big one. That probably won't be for another 2 years though, at least.

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

It would had an impact, but not that much of a big one. That probably won't be for another 2 years though, at least.

The thing is that, until now, all "UK" box office results in fact include the UK, Ireland and Malta. Therefore, even if Scotland becomes independent, I doubt that the industry will change this method of grouping countries together. It will just be England and Wales (under whatever name they choose), Ireland, Scotland and Malta.

On June 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Fullbuster said:

It's only because the Bank of England promised to inject $345B into the financial system, it's a short-term fix that doesn't indicate the long term trend.

They might as well stay in EU and pay $18B a year. Much better deal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quigley said:

The thing is that, until now, all "UK" box office results in fact include the UK, Ireland and Malta. Therefore, even if Scotland becomes independent, I doubt that the industry will change this method of grouping countries together. It will just be England and Wales (under whatever name they choose), Ireland, Scotland and Malta.

Scotland may not be part of the Empire no more...;)