Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

39 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

My predictions for the coming week

1. Central Intelligence £4.52M The film has a brilliant duo with Kevin Hart and social media demon The Rock and should do well this weekend. The question will really be can the film have legs. My prediction at the moment is a 2.6-2.8x multiplier for a gross of £11.75-12.66M. The has a 67% on RT which won't make people flock to the film but won't turn them away either.

2. The Secret Life of Pets £3.84M This one had a surprising opening weekend and should continue to surprise through its run. The film should fall only 35% if you exclude previews which is a very soft drop. By Sunday it should have passed £15M and be on its way to £20M. It is looking for an excellent multiplier of 3-3.3x which would be £28.59-31.45M. 

3. Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie £2.46M This is really an unknown for me. I have no idea what it will do this weekend, my guess is mostly based on the fact someone said it has good Friday business haha. The film has a slightly positive The Guardian and Den of Geek review (both at around 3 stars. £10M seems like a stretch, maybe £6.5-7.5M

4. Independence Day: Resurgence £1.96M Dropping 55% I think we all know why it's going to fall hard because it is awful. With 32% on RT and Metacritic. £15M tops for the total gross.

5. The Conjuring 2 £0.924M I guess it will have a smaller drop this weekend. Might have a third weekend of anything from £0.9-1.05M. The film should end up with £12-13M by its final weekend

You guys got any predictions?

The level to which Ab Fab was full for Mr last night points to around £5m to start. I have a feeling that depending on the hold next week, this is a £20m candidate, maybe even £30m.

Pets will probably be low to mid £30m by the end of its run. The BFG and Dory are its biggest competition although I'm curious how The BFG will do since it's flopped in America but it's a well known title over here so it should do better but Star Trek opens the same day and that'll easily do £5-6m OW

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

@ian_sandwell The Secret Life of Pets looks to have retained UK top spot with estimated £4.8m second weekend for £16.7m to date. https://t.co/vvplTOYjf6

Pretty solid drop if we exclude previews. Central Intelligence also had a solid opening with £3m five days. Wonder how Ab Fab did as well as Ice Age previews. 

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

£4.3m for Absolutely Fabulous. Fantastic opening for that and CI. Also a great hold for Pets, seems like it's on track for £30m. Good weekend. 

If Pets scores 30m, will that be the highest gross for an original non Disney animated film in the UK?

Edited by MinaTakla

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

If Pets scores 30m, will that be the highest gross for an original non Disney animated film in the UK?

Must be. Can't think of any other films right now. Maybe Lego movie. 

Edited by Heretic

Lego Movie made £33m. Summer break is coming up in a few weeks, and even though Dory is released then, Pets should still benefit from children being off school. Will have a long run, it definitely has a chance to top The Lego Movie. It'll be past £20m this time next week, with a lot still to go. 

Another thing, Pets must be playing well with the older crowd as it made over £2m Mon-Thu, which is quite a lot for an animated film during term time. 

Edited by Heretic

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Lego Movie made £33m. Summer break is coming up in a few weeks, and even though Dory is released then, Pets should still benefit from children being off school. Will have a long run, it definitely has a chance to top The Lego Movie. It'll be past £20m this time next week, with a lot still to go. 

Another thing, Pets must be playing well with the older crowd as it made over £2m Mon-Thu, which is quite a lot for an animated film during term time. 

Pets does face The BFG as well as Dory plus Pete's Dragon although I'm not sure how the latter will do. 

Next week is NYSM2 which has a seven day opening and The Legend of Tarzan which opens on Wednesday, I assume NSYM2 will get top spot because of a Monday opening but Tarzan could surprise.

I wonder how David Brent: Life on the Road will do? it's out mid August but I can't see being as big as Ab Fab.

Edited by Jonwo

UNIVERSAL

The Secret Life Of Pets enjoyed a superb second weekend to retain the lead at the UK box office.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment release fell only 21% (excluding previews) with $6.3m (£4.74m) for a healthy $22.1m (£16.61m) to date. With more than £2m added Mon-Thurs, it seems to be connecting with an older audience too.

It will shortly overtake Despicable Me’s $26.4m (£19.9m) UK result and looks set for a lengthy run, even if the likes of Ice Age: Collision Course and Finding Dory affect it over the coming weeks.

Also for Universal, Central Intelligence shot to a strong $4.1m (£3.05m) UK bow from its 444 sites, including $1m (£775,796) in previews, to chart third.

That marks director Rawson Marshall Thurber’s best-ever opening, topping Dodgeball’s $2.9m (£2.2m) from 315 sites, and also Kevin Hart’s strongest live-action debut as lead or co-lead.

FOX

Crack open the Bolly, Absolutely Fabulous: The Movieis off to an absolutely fantastic start in the UK.

Fox’s adaptation of the much-loved TV show partied to a non-final $5.4m (£4.03m) from its 615 sites, marking a $8,710 (£6,559) site average. This coming weekend will give an indication if it’s a fast-burn or capable of a longer run.

In terms of recent openings for British TV adaptations, Ab Fab opened above Dad’s Army ($2.8m/£2.08m from 585), but just below Mrs. Brown’s Boys D’Movie ($5.7m/£4.3m from 522).

Also for Fox, Independence Day: Resurgence fell 51% (excluding previews) on its way to a non-final $2.7m (£2.02m) second weekend. The alien invasion sequel now stands at $12.2m (£9.16m).

Ice Age: Collision Course held previews in England this weekend and opened Scotland and Ireland, rolling to a non-final $1.3m (£1m). This won’t be officially counted until its nationwide release on July 15.

X-Men: Apocalypse stands at $24.3m (£18.27m).

WARNER BROS

The Conjuring 2 rounded off this week’s top five with a $1.1m (£821,000) third weekend.

Warner Bros’ horror sequel has now scared up $12.6m (£9.45m) after 21 days in play, and will hope to be close to overtaking The Conjuring’s $13.9m (£10.5m) result by the end of this coming weekend.

Also for Warner Bros, Me Before You added $470,000 (£354,000) for an excellent $11.9m (£8.93m) after five weeks in play.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Falling around 50%, Icon Film Distribution’s The Nice Guys added an extra $133,000 (£99,819) for $4.9m (£3.69m) after five weeks in play.

DISNEY

With a 59% drop in its sixth weekend, Disney’s Alice Through The Looking Glass sailed to a further $104,000 (£78,000) for $12.7m (£9.54m). It won’t match the $14m (£10.56m) opening of its predecessor.

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book has now swung to $60.7m (£45.74m) after 12 weeks in play.

PARAMOUNT

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows is now up to $7.9m (£5.96m) following a $99,000 (£75,000) fifth weekend through Paramount. It will finish its run with less than half its predecessor’s $18.5m (£13.9m) result.

SONY

In its eighth week of release, Sony’s The Angry Birds Movie hit the £10m mark with a $66,000 (£50,000) weekend.

EUREKA ENTERTAINMENT

From its six sites through Eureka Entertainment, Queen Of Earth posted a UK debut of $3,900 (£2,918).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for eOne’s Now You See Me 2 (opens today), Warner Bros’ The Legend Of Tarzan (opens July 6) and Sony’s Maggie’s Plan.

Icon Film Distribution’s The Neon Demon receives a wide release, while Dogwoof’s Weiner is among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CoolK said:

@Heretic

When is Finding dory releasing...does it have a chance at 100mn usd?? 

July 29th. Almost impossible now, the pound has plummeted since Brexit. £60m, which would be the 2nd biggest animated film of all time, after TS3, would equal around $80m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

As for openers, NYSM2 will probably win the ''weekend'' with its 7 day opening. Probably £4m-ish. Tarzan could challenge that figure though with a 5 day opening. Pets should have another soft drop and potentially stay above £3m, which may actually be the Fri-Sun winner.