Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

What do you guys think FF8 will do this week?

It has the potential for an amazing opening number... 4 day weekend + 2 extra days opening. I haven't seen much marketing for it though and haven't heard anyone talking about it, but I might just be out of the loop. I thought the same about FF7, didn't hear much interest for it then it did really well.

FOX

The Boss Baby has ended Beauty And The Beast’s reign as the UK’s number one.

Fox’s latest DreamWorks Animation outing recorded a non-final $9.9m (£8.02m) debut from its 600 sites, including a hefty $6.5m (£5.2m) in previews. Its Fri-Sun tally of $3.46m (£2.79m) would have also seen it land the top spot.

In terms of overall openings, The Boss Baby enjoyed the biggest for an original DreamWorks offering, ahead of Kung Fu Panda’s $9.6m (£7.76m) from 446 sites, including $2.1m (£1.7m) in previews.

However, in terms of Fri-Sun takings, it drops down the list behind the likes of Trolls, Home, Shrek and Monsters Vs Aliens.

Also for Fox, Logan sliced to a further $291,000 (£234,304) for $28.9m (£23.33m) to date, while Table 19 posted a soft UK bow of $162,000 (£130,307) from its 221 sites, marking a site average of $732 (£590).

Hidden Figures stands at $7.6m (£6.13m).

DISNEY

Beauty And The Beast suffered its first big drop, which was likely in part due to the hot weather which affected the whole market this weekend.

Disney’s live-action remake fell 59% with a $3.42m (£2.76m) fourth weekend for a dazzling $72.5m (£58.49m) to date, making it the 14th highest grossing film of all time at the UK box office.

With Easter weekend to come and school holidays in play, Beauty And The Beast will soon waltz into the all-time top ten, with Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone’s $81.4m (£65.61m) result currently in tenth place.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-box-office-the-boss-baby-posts-chart-topping-99m-bow/5116688.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

I don't think there's as much excitement as FF7, it'll probably drop a bit from that ones total (£38.5m) and definitely drop in dollars ($60m) because ER is terrible.

But it should have a huge opening for sure over the holiday weekend. Probably around £15m ($18.5m) or so including Easter Monday and a total between $40-45m.

• Like 1

Big drop for BatB, the weather had a sognificant impact on the BO this past weekend. From Monday to Thursday it made another £4.2m though, which is an attainable total again for this week. As for the 4 day weekend, an increase is likely. £70m is locked, looks like a total in the mid 70s is where it's heading (Somewhere around $90m).

Boss Baby could be another £20m+ grosser. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

I don't think there's as much excitement as FF7, it'll probably drop a bit from that ones total (£38.5m) and definitely drop in dollars ($60m) because ER is terrible.

But it should have a huge opening for sure over the holiday weekend. Probably around £15m ($18.5m) or so including Easter Monday and a total between $40-45m.

I'm expecting £30-35m total but £15m with or without Easter Monday is achievable, 

Considering it's school holidays and opening day, Fast 8 isn't really as busy as it should be from what I'm seeing. Daytime shows are looking practically empty...

Tonight looks better though, maybe walkups will be big. 

Edited by Heretic

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Considering it's school holidays and opening day, Fast 8 isn't really as busy as it should be from what I'm seeing. Daytime shows are looking practically empty...

Tonight looks better though, maybe walkups will be big. 

Perhaps most people are waiting to see during the Easter Weekend

Late night business is looking very strong for F8, which if I remember correctly, the Fast and Furious series usually does very well in. So I guess this is more of an evening/late night flick than daytime because earlier shows looked pretty empty.

For example, the 11:45pm show at Vue Stratford is nearly sold out in their biggest screen, which rarely ever happens. The 12:20 am show at Vue Westfield is also over half full. 

Edited by Heretic

BatB at $77.8m as of Thursday. That's around £62m, so another £3.5m or so from weekdays. The weather is much cooler and cloudier this weekend, so I expect over Fri-Mon it'll make another £3-4m which would put it near £66m after the long weekend. 

No word on F8, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be dropping from F7.

Boss Baby seems to have been doing very well this week too, probably even better than BatB, so it should easily be past £15m by Tuesday. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:30 AM, Heretic said:

Late night business is looking very strong for F8, which if I remember correctly, the Fast and Furious series usually does very well in. So I guess this is more of an evening/late night flick than daytime because earlier shows looked pretty empty.

For example, the 11:45pm show at Vue Stratford is nearly sold out in their biggest screen, which rarely ever happens. The 12:20 am show at Vue Westfield is also over half full. 

its 5 days should end up  around 14.1 over 10% above Fast7 3 days

• Like 6