Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

The weather today is beautiful (not Scotland, obviously) clear blue skies, high 20s, probably not good for cinemas. 

Okay so when The Shallows doesn't do so well I'm using this as my excuse and sticking by it :P

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Okay so when The Shallows doesn't do so well I'm using this as my excuse and sticking by it :P

Films such as The Shallows and Suicide Squad that are targeting older audiences and generally make most of their business in the evening and night time won't be impacted as much as Dory or Pete's Dragon, for example. For these films, large portions of their gross come from daytime business whereby people may choose to do something different than going to the cinema in good weather. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

My preview screening of The Shallows on Wednesday was nearly sold out.

There hasn't been a lot of marketing though. 

I'm not shocked. It's Sony. It seems they don't know how to market their movies these days. 

The Shallows has already made its money back and then some from the domestic, the overseas release is just gravy.

I'm expecting SS will be number 1 again this weekend, next week I think it'll be either David Brent: Life on the Road or a threepeat of SS. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Very impressive first week for SS, Mon-Thu was huge, will probably be around £22m by Sunday, heading for £30m+. Another big success.

Considering the terrible reviews, it's a win for Warner Bros. It probably helps that the competition's pretty weak. 

25 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

Not a surprise. Forecast suggests its best opportunity could be from a potential thundery breakdown on Wednesday.

Not even anymore, Wednesday is now looking to be dry and the hottest part of next week. 

Considering the weather and the reviews, Suicide Squad had a better drop than both BvS and Civil War. With 2-3 weeks left of holidays, I think it'll get close to £30m total as by next week, it'll be close or matching GOTG's final total of £28m. 

Dory had very a good drop, I do wonder if it has another decent drop, it might end up doing better dailies than SS. None of the new releases did well at all.

Next week it's David Brent Life on the Road, I think it'll do £2-2.5m OW dethroning SS which would be good but not great 

Very nice for Dory, another very big Mon-Thu, it will fly past £30m this week, can't see it missing £40m with a few more weeks of school holidays.

Dreadful for Pete's Dragon, absolutely horrendous opening, weather must have really  hurt it, plus the fact Dory, BFG and Pets are still playing. Families are fully catered for right now, it should have been released in September. 

Decent for SS, big drop but not as bad as it could have been, it should hit £30m, which is a big success. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Very nice for Dory, another very big Mon-Thu, it will fly past £30m this week, can't see it missing £40m with a few more weeks of school holidays.

Dreadful for Pete's Dragon, absolutely horrendous opening, weather must have really  hurt it, plus the fact Dory, BFG and Pets are still playing. Families are fully catered for right now, it should have been released in September. 

Decent for SS, big drop but not as bad as it could have been, it should hit £30m, which is a big success. 

Suicide Squad has a much easier ride than BvS which lost IMAX and PLFs and faced The Jungle Book in its fourth weekend and Civil War lost PLFs and IMAX to X-Men although the Bank Holiday weekend is super packed with new releases which likely cause holdovers to lose screens