Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sausage Party looks ridiculous tomorrow, cinema I'm going to has sold out 16:30, and the 20:00 I'm going to is rammed! 

Sausage Party will probably do quite on Friday since the only other competition is Morgan and Cafe Society

Suicide Squad has had a great run, at £31m as of last weekend, it'll end up coming within only a few million of BvS, CW and Deadpool, which all made around the £37m mark, but with higher dollar figures, for obvious reasons. Not bad for a film with 'toxic' wom.

Dory has had its last week of school holidays, and the weather this weekend is the first properly cool and rainy one for weeks, so it should have a good hold, probably nearing the £40m mark.

Sausage Party looks busy tonight, it should top the weekend with ease, probably between £2-3m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

Suicide Squad has had a great run, at £31m as of last weekend, it'll end up coming within only a few million of BvS, CW and Deadpool, which all made around the £37m mark, but with higher dollar figures, for obvious reasons. Not bad for a film with 'toxic' wom.

Dory has had its last week of school holidays, and the weather this weekend is the first properly cool and rainy one for weeks, so it should have a good hold, probably nearing the £40m mark.

Sausage Party looks busy tonight, it should top the weekend with ease, probably between £2-3m.

I think it's between SP and Brotherhood as the latter had a seven day opening although Dory might surprise and retain top spot again 

Looking into the next month, I think Bridget Jones will do well as will Magnificent Seven, October I think Girl on the Train, Inferno, Trolls, Storks and Doctor Strange will be the big hitters but Jack Reacher likely will be a moderate success 

How much earlier does priority booking for BFI London film festival open than normal booking. Lineup is really strong so thinking of getting a membership if there is priority booking

also thinking Bridget Jones is gonna break out big, I have seen it advertised with every film from finding nemo to purge 3!

1 hour ago, Films said:

How much earlier does priority booking for BFI London film festival open than normal booking. Lineup is really strong so thinking of getting a membership if there is priority booking

also thinking Bridget Jones is gonna break out big, I have seen it advertised with every film from finding nemo to purge 3!

It's around a week early I believe. I'm hanging on until general release, I can't justify a £40 membership just for two movies I wanna see at LFF (Your Name and The Red Turtle). 

Disney’s Finding Dory becomes the second biggest release of 2016 with $51.9m (£38.86m).

Further distributor results to come…

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

SONY

Sausage Party ended Finding Dory’s two-week reign as the UK’s number one as it debuted top of the box office.

Sony’s adult animation bit into a strong $3.6m (£2.7m), including $535,000 (£400,000) in previews, from its 525 sites. Its Fri-Sun tally of $3.1m (£2.3m) would have also seen it land a clear number one.

The opening is almost double that of most previous original Seth Rogen comedies, including This Is The End($1.86m/£1.39m from 407 sites) and Superbad ($1.98m/£1.48m from 402).

Sausage Party stands a great chance of repeating as the UK’s number one this coming weekend, if it can hold off the likes of Ben-Hur and US hit Don’t Breathe.

LIONSGATE

Though it may have missed out on the top spot,Brotherhood enjoyed a stunning start to its UK box office run.

Lionsgate’s threequel scored a tremendous $2.64m (£1.98m) seven-day debut, including $1.3m (£970,777) in previews, from only 220 sites, surpassing Adulthood’s $1.61m (£1.2m) bow from 157 sites.

Brotherhood achieved the highest site average of the Fri-Sun period with $6,120 (£4,579), ahead of Sausage Party’s $5,855 (£4,381), and Noel Clarke’s trilogy closer enjoyed a strong $12,017 (£8,992) site average across its opening week.

Also for Lionsgate, Mechanic: Resurrection fell 52% with a $329,000 (£245,930) second weekend for $1.53m (£1.15m), while Nine Lives dropped only 8% with $305,000 (£227,853) for $2.35m (£1.76m) after three weeks in play.

Nerve stands at $3.11m (£2.32m).

DISNEY

It may have been knocked off the top spot, but Finding Dory enjoyed a terrific sixth weekend as it barely dropped week-on-week with $2m (£1.49m).

Disney’s latest Pixar offering is now up to an excellent $51.9m (£38.86m) and has become the second biggest release of 2016, behind stablemate The Jungle Book. It will soon overtake Inside Out ($52.4m/£39.2m) as the third biggest Pixar film.

Also for Disney, Pete’s Dragon boosted 16% with a $620,000 (£464,223) fourth weekend for $5.7m (£4.25m) to date.

WARNER BROS

Falling almost 40%, Warner Bros’ Suicide Squad sliced to a further $1.04m (£780,000) for a strong $43.4m (£32.46m) after five weeks in play.

Also for Warner Bros, War Dogs journeyed to a $932,000 (£697,000) second weekend for $3.4m (£2.55m) to date. It will end its run as one of director Todd Phillips’ lowest UK results.

Café Society posted Woody Allen’s fourth-best UK opening with $656,000 (£491,000) from its 186 sites, marking a solid $3,528 (£2,640) site average. It will expect to prosper midweek given its older-skewing audience.

Lights Out has now scared up $4.3m (£3.21m) after three weeks in play.

UNIVERSAL

Falling only 27% in its sixth weekend, Universal’s Jason Bourne shot to an extra  $712,000 (£532,532) for $29.8m (£22.26m) to date. It will likely fall short ofUltimatum’s $32.1m (£24m), but it’s been an impressive run all the same.

Also for Universal, The Purge: Election Year fell 45% on its way to a $586,000 (£438,705) second weekend for $2.5m (£1.91m), while The Secret Life Of Pets reached $46.4m (£34.69m).

FOX

Falling around 40%, Fox’s Julieta added a non-final $280,000 (£209,340) for $1.1m (£824,463) after two weeks in play. It will soon overtake I’m So Excited!’s $1.16m (£870,000) final UK result.

Also for Fox, Morgan disappointed in the UK as it did in the US with a soft non-final $259,000 (£193,508) bow from its 397 sites, while Akira launched with $59,000 (£43,861) from its 30 sites.

Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates and Ice Age: Collision Course stand at $3.3m (£2.5m) and $9.4m (£7.03m), respectively.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Things To Come has recorded director Mia Hansen-Løve’s best UK opening to date.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Berlinale Silver Bear winner posted a $67,000 (£50,363) bow, including previews, from its 19 sites. That surpasses Eden’s $66,000 (£49,211) debut, achieved from more than double the sites at 49.

SODA PICTURES

Released in 25 sites through Soda Pictures, The 9th Life Of Louis Drax posted a $9,400 (£7,057) UK debut.

Also for Soda Pictures, The Childhood Of A Leader - taken from Metrodome - has grossed $185,000 (£138,464) after three weeks in play.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Paramount’s Ben-Hur (opens Sept 7), Sony’s Don’t Breathe, Universal’sKubo And The Two Strings and Studiocanal’s Hell Or High Water.

eOne’s Captain Fantastic and Icon’s Anthropoid both receive wide releases, while Park Circus’s re-release ofThe Man Who Fell To Earth and Peccadillo Pictures’Theo And Hugo are among the films receiving limited releases.

Very nice weekend, especially for holdovers, and openers too.

Finding Dory increased quite a lot from estimates, and continues its leggy run, staying flat this week. If it continues to hold well, £45m may be a possibility, but for now, I see an ending between £42-43m, which is still fantastic, and more than 5x its opening.

SS will end up around £35m, which is incredible given the awful reviews, and the higher end of superhero flicks, apart from mega hits such as TDK/TDKR/Avengers. I guess the general public enjoyed it.

This coming weekend will be quiet, Dory could potentially rise to the top spot once again if it has a very soft drop, in its 7th weekend nonetheless, which would be 2nd I believe to Avatar's 10 weeks at number 1. Sausage Party I imagine will fall around 50% or so, and Ben Hur will probably flop, although maybe not hard enough to allow Dory the top spot. We'll see.

Edited by Heretic

18 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's around a week early I believe. I'm hanging on until general release, I can't justify a £40 membership just for two movies I wanna see at LFF (Your Name and The Red Turtle). 

Thanks! I might get a membership as Arrival & La La Land are the films I am most hyped for and I'd presume those will basically be gone by the time the tickets are released to the general public!