Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Aardman never lose in the UK. Shaun the Sheep should open at #1, will be an interesting battle for the rest of the top five.

Shaun the Sheep is being made on a lower budget than Arthur Christmas and Pirates! so it doesn't need to do big numbers and it doesn't have a US release yet but I imagine Studiocanal is concentrating on Europe first which was the case with Paddington.

• Like 1

Not sure about that high but could definitely see low teens, maybe somewhere from £12-14m.

Sounds about right, similar to Twilight in terms of frontloadness. It'll top next week and possibly the week after but I think The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will dethrone in its third week.

Edited by Jonwo

@ian_sandwell: Big Hero 6 retains UK lead, falling 31% (excluding previews), and has now grossed around £7.5m.

@ian_sandwell: Shaun the Sheep Movie lands with estimated £2.25m UK bow seeing it chart third.

@ian_sandwell: Selma posts estimated UK debut of £790k from 361 sites. Was always likely to struggle without awards recognition, but midweek could save it.

Decent first week drop for BH6, half-term should be very good with that and Shaun.

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 2

Disney’s animation holds number one with $3.8m (£2.53m) second weekend; Fox’s Kingsman: The Secret Service adds $3.3m (£2.2m) for $12.5m (£8.2m); StudioCanal’s Shaun the Sheep Movie is the week’s highest new entry.

Having narrowly debuted at number one on its UK bow, Big Hero 6 has retained top spot at the UK box office.

Disney’s animation fell a slim 34% (excluding previews) on its way to a $3.8m (£2.53m) second weekend for $11.3m (£7.46m) to date. The arrival on Friday [Feb 13] of Fifty Shades of Grey means it’s unlikely to record a hat-trick of number ones, although it does have the half term to look forward to.

In terms of Walt Disney Animation Studios outings in the UK, Big Hero 6’s next target is The Princess and the Frog’s $17m (£11.1m) result.

Also for Disney, Into the Woods has now sung its way to $13.6m (£8.91m) following a $494,000 (£325,000) fifth weekend.

FOX

Holding firm in second was Kingsman: The Secret Service after posting just a 38% drop (excluding previews) to shoot to an extra $3.3m (£2.2m).

Fox’s adaptation was the midweek champion in the UK and is currently outgrossing Big Hero 6 with a running total of $12.5m (£8.2m). Barring a dramatic drop, it’s in a great position to overhaul the $17.7m (£11.6m) result of Kick-Ass.

Also for Fox, Selma marched to a $1.2m (£779,655) UK opening from its 354 sites, including almost $106,000 (£70,000) in previews. Without awards recognition, it could struggle over the coming weeks but strong reviews and an older-skewing audience could see it enjoy sturdy midweek returns.

Taken 3 took an additional $489,000 (£321,429) for $26.1m (£17.2m) to date and is now unlikely to hit the £20m mark, while Birdman has reached $8m (£5.2m) after six weeks in play.

STUDIOCANAL

This week’s highest new entry came in the form of Shaun the Sheep Movie, which grazed on a non-final $3.1m (£2.1m) from its 509 sites on its UK debut.

In terms of Aardman outings in the UK, StudioCanal’s big screen adaptation of the children’s TV show posted a debut on par with that of The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! and Arthur Christmas in the UK and, with half term around the corner, it could well challenge the final tallies of both ($25.6m/£16.8m and $31.7m/£20.84m, respectively).

While not on the same level as the recent triumphant box office run of Paddington, StudioCanal will be confident that they can deliver another homegrown family hit with Shaun the Sheep Movie.

Also for StudioCanal, Paddington and The Imitation Game have amassed $54.5m (£35.8m) and $24.3m (£15.95m), respectively.

WARNER BROS

Landing fourth on debut was Jupiter Ascending with a solid, if unspectacular, $2.1m (£1.35m) from its 429 sites.

Warner Bros’ sci-fi recorded the biggest debut for film-making duo The Wachowskis outside of The Matrix trilogy and will shortly overtake the overall UK gross of both Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer, both of which grossed around $2.6m (£1.7m).

With a soft critical response, Jupiter Ascending may not be able to avoid the fast-burn nature of genre films at the UK box office this weekend.

Also for Warner Bros, American Sniper crossed the £11m mark with a $1.5m (£977,000) fourth weekend for $16.9m (£11.1m) to date, while Inherent Vice fell over 50% in its second weekend to add $219,000 (£144,000) for $1.1m (£735,000) after ten days in play.

UNIVERSAL

Falling 42% in its sixth weekend, Universal’s The Theory of Everything grossed $925,000 (£608,000) for $27.1m (£17.84m) to date.

The film could experience a boost this coming week from its Bafta wins, pushing it closer to the £20m mark in the UK.

Also for Universal, Ex Machina posted a $242,000 (£159,000) third weekend for $3.8m (£2.5m), while Trash fell heavily after its soft opening and has grossed $228,000 (£150,000) after ten days in play.

SONY

Controversial comedy The Interview posted a soft UK bow of $427,000 (£281,000) from its 287 sites through Sony.

That’s markedly down on the $2.1m (£1.4m) debut of Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen’s directorial debut This is the End, albeit from a wider release at 407 sites.

Also for Sony, Annie and Whiplash have amassed $11.4m (£7.5m) and $2.7m (£1.8m), respectively.

LIONSGATE

Now in its fourth week, Lionsgate’s Testament of Youth took a further $76,000 (£49,737) for $2.5m (£1.7m) to date.

Also for Lionsgate, Mortdecai has grossed $1.3m (£830,000).

ARROW FILMS

Released in eight sites through Arrow Films, Amour Fou recorded a non-final UK bow of $9,300 (£6,135) including $3,700 (£2,420) in previews.

CURZON FILM WORLD

Still Life posted a UK debut of $6,700 (£4,424) from its two sites through Curzon Film World, including $2,600 (£1,733) in previews.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees a saturation release for Universal’s highly anticipated Fifty Shades of Grey, which will have its eye on a number of records in the UK including biggest debut for an 18-rated film.

Altitude’s Love is Strange receives a wide release, while Curzon Film World’s Snow in Paradise, Metrodome’s Coherence and Dogwoof’s Love is All are among the films receiving a limited release.

My Cineworld previously had 6 showings on Friday but they've just added 6 more (same for Sat), demand for this thing is crazy.

My friend can't make it on Friday but I want to be in a full cinema to see this... so I'm going on my own. This is gonna be awkward as fuck...

abdc2d6601b3ef8d675143f9f0380382.png

• Like 2

damnn man.. respect

i wouldnt be able to do it

My Cineworld previously had 6 showings on Friday but they've just added 6 more (same for Sat), demand for this thing is crazy.

My friend can't make it on Friday but I want to be in a full cinema to see this... so I'm going on my own. This is gonna be awkward as fuck...

It's okay. I'm sure there will be some other single girls there, I won't be the only one.

I might take some glasses and a notepad and pen, so that I can pretend to be there as a critic. Which, I guess, I am, tbh, as I don't have any interest in the movie itself.