Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Dory is tomorrow, pre sales are very strong, it's going have a huge opening. 

BFG is doing incredibly well this week, I'm sure it's already near £10m, looks like it could be a contender for at least £25m.

• Like 5

One thing that sets Dory apart from other animated films is the fact that its night time business shouldn't slow down, there will likely be some sellouts too, just like shows in the morning and afternoon. For example, at my local, the 8:45 show is currently busier than the 1:15 show, and will definitely be a sellout. Usually animated films slow down massively as evening hits but that won't be the case at all for Dory. It will act like a major 4-quad blockbuster flick. The bar is to at least match The Jungle Book's opening £10m, which acted in a very similar way. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Rth said:

for FD probably be around 2.6 mark not sure get to 3

Hmmm. That's lower than I was expecting.

Its probably won't increase much today as it's holidays now, so maybe an opening around £7m. Disappointing to say the least, especially for a sequel to one of the most popular animated films

of all time. 

Jungle Book had a £2.1m OD but increased like 100% on the Saturday as it was during school time. No way Dory matches that.

I guess Pixar is all about the legs, and it has weeks to capitalise on this, but still, very underwhelming. Even more so with the incredibly low dollar, which means it may not even top $10m for its opening. Weird, as the US has performed amazingly. BFG may have stolen some of its thunder.

Edited by Heretic

Dory looks kind of empty today :unsure:

Weather is nice so that's probably why, but I really don't understand why it isn't doing huge numbers. The only thing I can think of is BFG and Pets doing so well, as well as the fact there is no rush as kids have 6 weeks of holidays now. 

Edited by Heretic

1 minute ago, James said:

And update on the Suicide Squad presales? I think Dory not doing so well might help it to some degree.

Dory is still hogging 3D screens next weekend, I think that might hinder SS. I can't find a decent Friday night 3D showtime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Dory looks kind of empty today :unsure:

Weather is nice so that's probably why, but I really don't understand why it isn't doing huge numbers. The only thing I can think of is BFG and Pets doing so well, as well as the fact there is no rush as kids have 6 weeks of holidays now. 

I'd imagine the estimate will be around £8 million. Like you said, we've weeks of school holidays. Plus there are other family movies doing well. Bourne would have been priority for a lot of people this weekend too. 

Dory will hold just fine for the rest of the summer. 

Edited by wildphantom

1 hour ago, James said:

And update on the Suicide Squad presales? I think Dory not doing so well might help it to some degree.

Will have very little impact, SS has a 15 rating here, so it's not really cutting into Dory's main audience. 

Presales are excellent though, just as good as previous superhero films Deadpool/BvS/Civil War. Will open big for sure. 

• Like 1