Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm interested what the top grossing cinemas were, I bet Vue Westfield London has two entries with Dory and Jason Bourne

:)

top engagements
1-Vue Westfield London             (JB)
2-Odeon Leicester Squ            (JB)
3-Vue Westfield London            (FD)
4-NAC Showcase Bluwatr            (FD)
5-CW Crawley                (FD)
6-Imax Southbank            (STB)
7-Odeon Trafford            (FD)
8-CW Sheffield                (FD)
9-CW Milton Keynes            (FD)
10-CW Didsbury                (FD)
11-Vue Stratford            (JB)
12-Vue Stratford            (FD)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rth said:

:)

top engagements
1-Vue Westfield London             (JB)
2-Odeon Leicester Squ            (JB)
3-Vue Westfield London            (FD)
4-NAC Showcase Bluwatr            (FD)
5-CW Crawley                (FD)
6-Imax Southbank            (STB)
7-Odeon Trafford            (FD)
8-CW Sheffield                (FD)
9-CW Milton Keynes            (FD)
10-CW Didsbury                (FD)
11-Vue Stratford            (JB)
12-Vue Stratford            (FD)

I'm guessing JB had higher admits than Dory in both Vue Westfield London and Stratford. Interesting that BFI IMAX is in the top 10 considering it had a holdover with Star Trek Beyond. 

Vue Westfield London is a consistent performer usually in the top 3 or 5 whereas its Vue Westfield Stratford rarely breaks the top ten despite both having the same number of screens. I guess it's due to the areas they're in. 

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm guessing JB had higher admits than Dory in both Vue Westfield London and Stratford. Interesting that BFI IMAX is in the top 10 considering it had a holdover with Star Trek Beyond. 

Vue Westfield London is a consistent performer usually in the top 3 or 5 whereas its Vue Westfield Stratford rarely breaks the top ten despite both having the same number of screens. I guess it's due to the areas they're in. 

Overall VWL is always biggest complex in the Land typically  Strafford is 4/5

Imax BFI is just popular :) and with STB it did like over 3 times the bus of Empire Imax LSqu

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rth said:

Overall VWL is always biggest complex in the Land typically  Strafford is 4/5

Imax BFI is just popular :) and with STB it did like over 3 times the bus of Empire Imax LSqu

BFI IMAX does depend on the film slate, I imagine when it's a slow period like September or January, it'll not crack the top 10 at all. 

OLS does have the prestige factor plus the capacity from the main screen. Despite having to share top titles with the Empire LS, it's still the busiest of the three LS cinemas.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

BFI IMAX does depend on the film slate, I imagine when it's a slow period like September or January, it'll not crack the top 10 at all. 

OLS does have the prestige factor plus the capacity from the main screen. Despite having to share top titles with the Empire LS, it's still the busiest of the three LS cinemas.

Complex wise and over cause of period (6months year etc) BFI Imax is much bigger than any of LS complexes  1-VLS,2-ELS, 3-OLS(Might as well class as single considering sizes of the other  5 screens), years gone by OLS use to hold world records for film take and it still of cause rank high on film by film bases but depends how long film gets main screen and also if it has to share these days with its neighbour ELS but when both OLS & ELS play film OLS usually wins.

11 hours ago, Rth said:

Complex wise and over cause of period (6months year etc) BFI Imax is much bigger than any of LS complexes  1-VLS,2-ELS, 3-OLS(Might as well class as single considering sizes of the other  5 screens), years gone by OLS use to hold world records for film take and it still of cause rank high on film by film bases but depends how long film gets main screen and also if it has to share these days with its neighbour ELS but when both OLS & ELS play film OLS usually wins.

Of course, BFI IMAX has the advantage of the IMAX ticket premium (with tickets coming in at over £20 each for a blockbuster during the weekend and evenings), but even at those prices 498 seats won't match up to what 1,679 can deliver. Or, for that matter, the ELS IMAX with over 700 tickets also being sold at over £20 each for a 3D screening.

I guess the advantage of that 1,679-seater becomes more pronounced when you have a megahit like TFA or Spectre in play. This year has been more about depth so far, which would favour somewhere like VLS with nine screens topping the 100-seat mark.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rth said:

OLS does seem to the top destination for premieres although some big films have premieres at the Empire or the BFI IMAX. Some of the Marvel films have had their premieres at the Vue Westfield London. 

My Predictions for 5-7 August 2016

1.  Obviously, Suicide Squad will take #1, I don't really know how much, £8-9 million sounds about right, but could be as high as £10 million. Bad word of mouth might push Sunday numbers down a bit.

2. Finding Dory won't fall hard maybe down to £5.2-5.8 million. I expect Finding Dory to hit mid to high £30s. Should be at £16-18 million by Sunday and £20 million before Pete's Dragon.

3.  Jason Bourne, I'm thinking will fall 50-60% because of middling reviews and big competition, so £3-3.7 million for the second weekend and a total of about £13.5-14.3 million.

4. The BFG will continue its slow decent with a bit bigger, but still respectable drop of 45% with a potential £19.5 million in the top 3 (with the high ends of my guesses) £1.8-2.1 million, it should be at about £20 million by the end of the weekend.

5. Star Trek Beyond, the film will most likely drop , like Jason Bourne 55-60% because of the strong competition £1-1.3 million sounds about right.

Can't believe how crowded August is after Suicide Squad

On 10 August Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (Not going to make much of a dent in the box office)

11 August Nerve

12 August The Shallows, Pete's Dragon

17 August Nine Lives

19 August Lights Out, David Brent: Life on the Road, Swallows and Amazons

26 August The Purge: Election Year, Bad Moms, War Dogs, Mechanic: Resurrection and Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Heretic said:

It's meant to turn very warm this weekend, the BO might take a hit, although I don't think Suicide Squad will be effected much, more so Dory. 

Yeah, I suspect Dory is going to be very weather-dependent for the next couple of weeks, people waiting for a wet day to see it. There aren't any forecast for the SE any time soon, though...

3 minutes ago, Olive said:

under £40M for Dory would be so disappointing.

Yeah. But BFG has been huge, it's stolen a lot of Dory's thunder, which nobody expected. Not to mention Pet's also grossing £30m+, family audiences have been well catered for already.

We'll see though, by no means is £40m out of the question yet, have to see how it holds over the next few weeks.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1