Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

On 28/10/2016 at 10:32 PM, Heretic said:

Very surprising that Trolls beat Dr Strange, even if kids are off school. It must be having a very strong week. 

This is a rather downbeat outlook. Big budget Marvel movie + Cumberbatch should be = big box office in UK.

Trolls? Are they the new Mini Me?

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Doctor Strange(Disney) $11.24m (£9.23m) $11.24m (£9.23m)
2 Trolls (Fox) $3.96m (£3.25m) $17m (£14m)
3 Jack Reacher: Never Go Back(Paramount) $1.51m (£1.24m) $6.77m (£5.56m)
4 The Girl On The Train (eOne) $1.48m (£1.22m) $24.85m (£20.43m)
5 Bridget Jones’s Baby (Universal) $800,000 (£657,456) $56.14m (£46.16m)
  • Like 5

Top engagements
all DS
1-Imax Southbank
2-Vue Westfield London
3-Vue Strathford
4-CW Glasgow
5-CW Leicester Squ
(combined with Odeon LS would be #2)
6-CW Sheffield
7-Odeon Manchester
8-CW Dublin
9-CW Birmingham Broad
10-Odeon Liverpool

Edited by Rth on the Cosmic Wave
  • Like 3

Bridget Jones became the biggest film of the year on Monday.

The phenomenon: Bridget Jones’s Baby

It’s official: Bridget Jones’s Baby is now the biggest grossing film of 2016 at UK cinemas. Although it ended the weekend with £46.17m, just behind The Jungle Book’s £46.19m, Monday’s takings pushed Bridget to £46.27m. Other top titles this year include Finding Dory (£42.6m), Deadpool (£37.9m), Captain America: Civil War (£37.0m) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (£36.6m). Not many would have predicted that the revival of Working Title’s Bridget Jones franchise would gross £10m more here than the year’s big superhero smackdowns from Marvel and DC.

Incredible feat. Will probably just miss the £50m mark, although this result is already way higher than anyone was expecting.

The only film that will most likely top it is Rogue One. Expecting around £60m for that. I give Fantastic Beasts a very outside chance as it is Potter property, although I'm not expecting Potter numbers in the UK, probably more like £40m, which would still be a great result.

Moana should also do very well in the run up to Christmas, it should draw in families as the only animated release of the holidays. Wouldn't be surprised to see another £30m+ grosser there. 

Passengers also has big potential over the Christmas/New Year period, I can see that easily topping £20m, and making a run for £30m if it's good.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Been a pretty good spread of cash this year, even if we haven't had any uber blockbusters yet. Kinda like 2013 and 14.

2014 was a terrible year for blockbusters, The Hobbit, Paddington and The Lego Movie saved that year

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I thought we had a fair few go over £30m that year? 

we did. Paddington, Hunger Games, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inbetweeners 2, Lego Movie, Hobbit, Planet of the Apes, X-Men, might have been another one as well.