Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

On 3/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

I miss those screens, so much nicer than Stevenage. 

I like the new seats at Stevenage not a massive fan of the screens, upgrade in the smaller auditoriums but downgrade in the bigger ones.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Aye. We try our best.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but lol. No. For one thing "13-27" is a ridiculously stupid range, like saying Captain Marvel will open in America between $150M and $300M. idiotic.

and those number themselves are wrong. it may reach £13M for sure that is possible I suppose. not above that.

How is an $150m range for an opening weekend prediction bad? 

Sorry I really can't see it, seems very informative to me :redcapes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

How is an $150m range for an opening weekend prediction bad? 

Sorry I really can't see it, seems very informative to me :redcapes:

|Not sure if you read my post correctly. I said the range is ridiculous. If your top end is DOUBLE the bottom end then your prediction is worth precisely nothing. It is meaningless.

I have done some serious data analysis and my algorithms inform me that Avengers Endgame will open to between $200M and $400M. I hope you find this accurate, precise and informative!

• Haha 3

It’s a new group that usually releases a forecast for each weekend the Thursday before based on presale data. I think thet’ve been pretty accurate so far, though I don’t follow closely.   

This week they basically said “the Captain Marvel data is a way outside the data we’ve been working with before so our algorithms produce a weird and too wide range, no official forecast. But off the record, here’s what those algorithms would have given.”         

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

|Not sure if you read my post correctly. I said the range is ridiculous. If your top end is DOUBLE the bottom end then your prediction is worth precisely nothing. It is meaningless.

I have done some serious data analysis and my algorithms inform me that Avengers Endgame will open to between $200M and $400M. I hope you find this accurate, precise and informative!

I was trying to poke even more fun at the fact that some people thought that and £14m OW range in UK was good in any circumstance. I got you point was just trying to one up the stupid.

• Like 1

https://www.screendaily.com/news/captain-marvel-set-to-ignite-uk-box-office/5137490.article

It has been a tough beginning to 2019 for the UK box office. At the end of February, box office receipts were tracking at 24% down on the same two-month period in 2018, which roughly accounts for £57m ($xm)  in ticket sales.

Notably absent from the release calendar so far has been a blockbuster hit – last year had Black Panther, which took a huge £50.6m after being released on Feb 13 – but that could change this weekend with the release of Disney’s Captain Marvel.

According to Screen sources, the film has already sold a hefty 460,000 tickets in pre-sales at an average ticket price of £11.77, equating to £5.4m in advance bookings. 

For comparison, the recently-released How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World sold 85,000 tickets in the same period of pre-sales, and then opened with £5.3m. The Lego Movie 2 sold at 90,000 tickets in pre-sales, opening with £4m.

Those numbers indicate that Captain Marvel will far surpass its pre-sales figure with its overall opening. The film is set to play at more than 20,000 UK screens this weekend.

The film will come up against other entries in the Marvel cinematic universe that have focused on introducing a singular character. Those include Thor (opened with £5.4m in the UK and ended on £14m), Captain America (£3m and £10.4m), Doctor Strange (£9.3m and £23.2m), Deadpool (£13.7m and £37.8m), and Black Panther (£18m and £50.6m).

Comparisons will inevitably be made to thethe success of Wonder Woman, part of the rival DC series of superhero films, for its focus on a female superhero. That film underperformed in the UK, opening with £5.8m and ending on £20.3m. Captain Marvel is expected to perform significantly better.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

£5m in pre-sales is huge. Seems this could be much bigger than expected in the U.K. 

US

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Captain Marvel OD: $ 5,3M 

That is huge, around £4m. I can’t see this missing £5m today then which means an OW around £13m ($17m) is possible. Don’t know about anyone else but this is way bigger than I expected. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That is huge, around £4m. I can’t see this missing £5m today then which means an OW around £13m ($17m) is possible. Don’t know about anyone else but this is way bigger than I expected. 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:19 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

Like fuck is it going anywhere near £20m

That £13m - £27m isn't looking so crazy now is it :P 

The reddit guy seems to indicate that presales are huge for this, indicating that something like 4-7-5 could be possible for a humungous £16m OW... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Apart from Infitinty War and AoU, I think Captain Marvel looks likely to have the highest 3-day opening for a film in the MCU. GotG2 is next highest with £13.1m. 

I was thinking what about BP?

But I somewhat recall it had like a 6-day opening or something due to V-day right?

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

I was thinking what about BP?

But I somewhat recall it had like a 6-day opening or something due to V-day right?

Yeah. Black Panther had a 6 day opening of £17.7m with a Fri-Sun of £10.5m.