UK Box Office Thread

13 hours ago, Krissykins said:

All of these films open within 7 days of each other in the UK:

Aladdin (May 22)

Rocketman (May 22)

Secret Life Of Pets 2 (May 24)

Booksmart (May 27)

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (May 29)

I think Rocketman will edge out Aladdin. Interesting that WB have pushed up Godzilla to midweek.

17(!) midnight/double bill screenings at the 20 screen CW Sheffield. All are full apart from the one that they added this afternoon, and that’s already at half capacity. The 3:45am IMAX has around 250-300 seats sold.

The newly refurbished Odeon Luxe Sheffield (10 screens) is fully sold out.

The Light Sheffield (9 screens) fully sold out aside from wheelchair spaces.

Curzon Sheffield (3 screens) has two sellouts and one half full.

VUE Sheffield (11 screens) no sellouts but all very busy.

This weekend is going to be absolute insanity!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

End Game to beat SFA for the #2 spot all time in the UK for openers above 50 million (OW). Spectre with it's 7 day opener is basically cheating but I can't see it doing anywhere near 63.7 million with the pound getting killed and only 4 days. 

Personally I think the talk of the legs being as short as Infinity War is a bit premature. Yeah it's front loaded as all get but it has nothing to compete against until May 10th and I'm not sure how that will even do in the UK. I'll go 52 million OW, 135 total in UK. Ridiculous but I'm hoping they appreciate the quality.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

State of the UK and the exchange rate right now, $120m seems close to the top. Would love to be proven wrong.

Will certainly have a truly massive weekend showing, but not sure the cultural impact is quite there among the non-standard fans and average-Joe's to the extent of a Titanic or even a HP compared to other countries.

I very much may be wrong, I'm the person who completely missed Avatar at the time and as far as I knew thought it hadn't done particularly well.

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

State of the UK and the exchange rate right now, $120m seems close to the top. Would love to be proven wrong.

I agree.

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Will certainly have a truly massive weekend showing, but not sure the cultural impact is quite there among the non-standard fans and average-Joe's to the extent of a Titanic or even a HP compared to other countries.

I have noticed this also. I know many people who are keen moviegoers but won't and will never see Endgame

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I very much may be wrong, I'm the person who completely missed Avatar at the time and as far as I knew thought it hadn't done particularly well.

I think it depends on legs. The currency absolute kills it no doubt. When SFA came out the GBP was 11% higher than it is now and it came out in Christmas with monster legs. Obviously for better than Infinity War average legs. When Skyfall came out, GBP was 20% higher.

If it opens under 50 which sadly is a real possibility thanks the pound plummeting and has average legs it could something like 105. Still way better than Infinity War. 135 is my max and my prediction lol aka unrealistic. Let me dream lol.

Edited by cdsacken

Yeah it's a weird phenomenon we have over here. It seems we have pretty much the same proportion of core MCU/genre film fans but there is much less of a spill over into the ones who aren't in that category. At least compared to North America, I think things may be the same somewhat in Western and Central mainland Europe.

It seems to happen for Bond, and HP on it's better days - perhaps there because of the sense of British properties.

When I went shopping in 1997 I knew that the 60 year old lady who served me in the bakery had watched Titanic. I knew that the stereotypical working class guys opposite waiting for butties had watched it. I knew the single-mums and children had watched it. It was all-encompassing. 

Here those in the demographic for it are as avid as anywhere else and would maybe watch it more times, but those other folks just mostly wouldn't have Avengers on their radar, or at least no plan to watch it. Nor would the art house types, who seem in the states to go to mainstream films as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh there are 7 midnight showings tonight at my local Cineworld. 

Pretty sure thats the most a film has ever had at that cinema. 

7 for Vue Cambridge all sold out days ago. Morning shows at 8am all day like 30 screens most are nearly sold out.

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

End Game to beat SFA for the #2 spot all time in the UK for openers above 50 million (OW). Spectre with it's 7 day opener is basically cheating but I can't see it doing anywhere near 63.7 million with the pound getting killed and only 4 days. 

Personally I think the talk of the legs being as short as Infinity War is a bit premature. Yeah it's front loaded as all get but it has nothing to compete against until May 10th and I'm not sure how that will even do in the UK. I'll go 52 million OW, 135 total in UK. Ridiculous but I'm hoping they appreciate the quality.

The competition for Endgame is a lot stiffer compared to IW which had three weeks to itself until Deadpool 2. 

Detective Pikachu is a bit of a wildcard but I think they’ll split it with Endgame in terms of PLFs