Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Think Uk cinemas are massively overpredicting Secret life of pets .  Way too many screens have been given and all of them are empty for my locals this weekend.

Think the sequel is just too long of a wait (I saw the first in cinema at the time and now I cant even remember the plot of the first or any of the chracters) and now the weathers good not enough people will go to the cinema to see it and even if they're thinking about it why go for the pets sequel when you can see Aladdin which is easier to remember?

Edited by boxofficenerd

5 hours ago, boxofficenerd said:

Think Uk cinemas are massively overpredicting Secret life of pets .  Way too many screens have been given and all of them are empty for my locals this weekend.

Think the sequel is just too long of a wait (I saw the first in cinema at the time and now I cant even remember the plot of the first or any of the chracters) and now the weathers good not enough people will go to the cinema to see it and even if they're thinking about it why go for the pets sequel when you can see Aladdin which is easier to remember?

Every time I’ve seen the trailer for SLOP2 in a cinema, you can practically hear crickets...and the clip they showed on Graham Norton the other week looked atrocious. Its going to get lost in the crush below Rocketman and Aladdin I think.

UK audiences love even mediocre Disney films (e.g. Dumbo) so I’d imagine Aladdin will be the first choice for kids and families this week. Adults will be going to Rocketman. Universal were foolish to open SLOP2 at the same time.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Every time I’ve seen the trailer for SLOP2 in a cinema, you can practically hear crickets...and the clip they showed on Graham Norton the other week looked atrocious. Its going to get lost in the crush below Rocketman and Aladdin I think.

UK audiences love even mediocre Disney films (e.g. Dumbo) so I’d imagine Aladdin will be the first choice for kids and families this week. Adults will be going to Rocketman. Universal were foolish to open SLOP2 at the same time.

Just because families went to see it (they go and see anything animated or aimed at kids) doesn’t mean audiences here loved it. 

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Cinema was quite quiet tonight but it’s been a really nice day. It’s to piss down all weekend and on Monday so business should pick up lol 

Lol maybe in Scotland. It’s sunny and warm here. 

Saw Aladdin last night, was quite busy. Not sure how it’ll do this weekend, but it has a 5 day opening so I’d expect over £6m by Sunday. It’s also a bank holiday on Monday and half term holidays so it should have a pretty big week. Forecast also doesn’t look great next week which will help a lot.

SLOP2 doesn’t look like it’s doing great but it’ll probably do much better during the week. 

Edited by Heretic

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But SLOP1 had 13m opening, that is a harsh drop

Yes, but with Aladdin breaking out and limited screen space it was always going to drop.

With half term this week, all schools are off and so SLOP could easily be at $10-12m by next weekend. Yes a drop overall, but given conditions it could've been much worse.

As I said, not terrible, but not great either.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the lack of screens is helping Aladdin to an extent Rocketman

SLOP2’s drop is not great but the first one was lightning in a bottle that can’t really be repeated

So many people are predicting SLOP2 to outgross SLOP worldwide. This UK gross isn't helping their cause.

Edited by UserHN