Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Both classic West end shows turned in to musical films. So pretty comparable to me. 

You are missing the point Schumacher. Its like saying Star Wars flopped this weekend because it only grossed half of what Endgame opened to. It is still a success.

News outlets are reporting that Cats is doing badly in the UK when it is simply untrue.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

OK, let me try a different track. It's still opened under The Greatest Showman by £1m, which was against week 2 of TLJ and the opening of Jumanji, and I remember that only having small rooms too. 

TBF The Greatest Showman opened on Boxing Day so had a 6 day opening. 

On 12/26/2015 at 5:21 PM, RthRise said:

really really really small # of thrs lol

#1 guess, #2 Dilwale, #3 Bajirao, #4 Pasanga, #5 Spectre, #6 DH

So I guess Bollywood film do top UK boxoffice on Xmas day. During 3 Idiots, I was 12 then, I heard 3I was #1 in UK for 25th December weekend, I didn't believe it then, may be it was true as well.

@RthRise can you please tell 25th toppers this decade.

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

So I guess Bollywood film do top UK boxoffice on Xmas day. During 3 Idiots, I was 12 then, I heard 3I was #1 in UK for 25th December weekend, I didn't believe it then, may be it was true as well.

Vast majority of cinemas are closed on Christmas day. If any cinemas are open in Asian populated areas, then not surprising that Asian films succeed because they do not celebrate Christmas.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

All chain cinemas are closed for the full day. Must be a handful of small independent ones.

Odeon, a big chain, tried opening in 2016 I think, and never bothered again. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

All chain cinemas are closed for the full day. Must be a handful of small independent ones.

Odeon, a big chain, tried opening in 2016 I think, and never bothered again. 

Some of the big chain cinemas were still open in London. The Odeon and Cineworld in Leicester Square we’re both open, and I noticed a few other Odeon’s were open around central London. North of that though you’d definitely be struggling to find any that stayed open.

I find it baffling that it’s such a big day for cinemas in the US, I love going to the cinema, but no way would I go on Christmas Day.

13 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Some of the big chain cinemas were still open in London. The Odeon and Cineworld in Leicester Square we’re both open, and I noticed a few other Odeon’s were open around central London. North of that though you’d definitely be struggling to find any that stayed open.

I find it baffling that it’s such a big day for cinemas in the US, I love going to the cinema, but no way would I go on Christmas Day.

I think the infrastructure of no public transport on Christmas Day makes it very difficult for cinemas to justify being open unless it's in a specific area.