Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

9 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Yeah, it should be interesting to see if The Rise of Skywalker can surpass Fellowship of the Ring, or what influence Joker's re-release will have on the #19-#22 rankings in a few months (but The Numbers spoke to me and stated it's all dependant on whether Warner Bros. publishes those numbers for the live concert.)

Oh, you're still here... doing this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As it stands, due to the European Championships this summer we have Tenet and Top Gun coming out on the same day in the U.K. (July 17)

Both major IMAX events, so something is going to have to give there? Surely Top Gun will be brought forward so it can have at least a week in IMAX before Tenet arrives?? 

There’s no way I’m seeing Top Gun anywhere else but in IMAX/Lie-Max. 

12 minutes ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

Yeah you'd think Top Gun will be the one to move with it being out in June in the US anyway.

Wonder how much cinemas will be affected by the storm today. We've been affected a bit but we're in the East Midlands which isn't as bad as some areas.

probably have quite a big effect I would have thought.  It’s been forecast well in advance though so maybe yesterday was bigger as people knew Sunday was a wash-out. 

14 hours ago, wildphantom said:

As it stands, due to the European Championships this summer we have Tenet and Top Gun coming out on the same day in the U.K. (July 17)

Both major IMAX events, so something is going to have to give there? Surely Top Gun will be brought forward so it can have at least a week in IMAX before Tenet arrives?? 

There’s no way I’m seeing Top Gun anywhere else but in IMAX/Lie-Max. 

I think they should move Top Gun day and date with the US or July 3rd. I'm sure even with the football, they'll be an audience wanting new films, otherwise it's going to be a dry month with WW1984, Soul and Nan.

What a shame that Parasite had such a late release date in the U.K.  

One of the key moviegoing territories and the vast majority of British moviegoers into their films haven’t had the chance to see the film. So many will have stayed up to watch the Oscars having seen all the other nominees, only to have plenty of Parasite’s shocks and surprises ruined in the nominee clips. 

I was lucky enough to see it in America when visiting last October. For any of my fellow Brits who haven’t seen it yet, avoid the Oscar telecast and run to your nearest cinema showing it today. It’s sensational. 

Going back to my original point...releasing a major awards contender and best reviewed film of 2019 in limited release over Oscar weekend in the U.K. is actually a disgrace. Hope it never happens again.  The movie would have made a ton of money if it had been released when the rest of the world got it. 

Edited by wildphantom

21 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Ooof they need to change this. 

6 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Going back to my original point...releasing a major awards contender and best reviewed film of 2019 in limited release over Oscar weekend in the U.K. is actually a disgrace. 

It’s release has been a shambles. I don’t know why they insist on keeping the Oscar films back so late here, hardly anyone in the UK actually watches the telecast. 

6 hours ago, wildphantom said:

One of the key moviegoing territories and the vast majority of British moviegoers into their films haven’t had the chance to see the film. So many will have stayed up to watch the Oscars having seen all the other nominees, only to have plenty of Parasite’s shocks and surprises ruined in the nominee clips. 

I was lucky enough to see it in America when visiting last October. For any of my fellow Brits who haven’t seen it yet, avoid the Oscar telecast and run to your nearest cinema showing it today. It’s sensational. 

Going back to my original point...releasing a major awards contender and best reviewed film of 2019 in limited release over Oscar weekend in the U.K. is actually a disgrace. Hope it never happens again.  The movie would have made a ton of money if it had been released when the rest of the world got it. 

Interestingly enough, the last few Best Picture winners have been released in February in the UK. I think Moonlight came out the weekend of the Oscars in 2017, akin to Parasite this year. The presumptive frontrunner - The Revenant, La La Land, Three Billboards and 1917 - has tended to come out in the second week of January.

Edited by gadd

54 minutes ago, gadd said:

Interestingly enough, the last few Best Picture winners have been released in February in the UK. I think Moonlight came out the weekend of the Oscars in 2017, akin to Parasite this year. The presumptive frontrunner - The Revenant, La La Land, Three Billboards and 1917 - has tended to come out in the second week of January.

Moonlight went wide on the 17th Feb and the Oscars was on the 27th. Still, very close. Too close. 

it’s like the recent change of the ceremony being brought forward to earlier in the month hasn’t been accounted for in the release pattern. A film releasing 10 days before is bad enough, but opening weekend for Parasite?

As far as I’m concerned we shouldn’t be waiting to see movies that are nominated at the BAFTA’s - our own flagship awards show. Let alone waiting until Oscar weekend! 

The calendar has changed for the shows. There is no reason why we can’t have more awards movies out in December - the marketplace is big enough. 

I love the quality of releases in the early weeks of the new year in the U.K. as much as anybody. Yet if that’s now causing major movies to not get seen before the year’s films are celebrated for awards then it needs to change. It’s not fair on the audience or the filmmakers. 

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Moonlight went wide on the 17th Feb and the Oscars was on the 27th. Still, very close. Too close. 

it’s like the recent change of the ceremony being brought forward to earlier in the month hasn’t been accounted for in the release pattern. A film releasing 10 days before is bad enough, but opening weekend for Parasite?

As far as I’m concerned we shouldn’t be waiting to see movies that are nominated at the BAFTA’s - our own flagship awards show. Let alone waiting until Oscar weekend! 

The calendar has changed for the shows. There is no reason why we can’t have more awards movies out in December - the marketplace is big enough. 

I love the quality of releases in the early weeks of the new year in the U.K. as much as anybody. Yet if that’s now causing major movies to not get seen before the year’s films are celebrated for awards then it needs to change. It’s not fair on the audience or the filmmakers. 

This is one of the reasons I got a Cineworld Unlimited card. They had a lot of advance screenings for some of the Oscar contenders in December, so by the time the awards season kicked off I'd seen almost all of the contenders, when usually I'm playing catch up in January and early February.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 1

‘Parasite’ Posts Record-Breaking UK Box Office Debut

Fresh off a remarkable night at the Oscars, the Parasite team are waking up today to the news that the film is causing yet another box office splash, this time in the UK where it has officially set a record as the highest opening ever for a foreign-language movie.

UK distributor Curzon and box office org Comscore both confirmed to us that the movie’s opening of $1,796,659 (£1,389,856) including previews is a record for a non-English language release. Across its opening Fri-Sun session, it grossed $1,395,025 (£1,079,102) with a screen average of $10,258 (£7,935).

That tops previous record holder Apocalypto, which opened with $1,758,494 (£1,360,111) in January 2007 on its way to a total gross of $5,320,094 (£4,114,838).

Expect Parasite to breeze past that total, particularly with the buzz from its impressive Oscar night, which saw it scoop four prizes and become the first film not in the English language to win Best Pic.

All the more remarkable is that Apocalyptoopened on some 385 screens, compared to Parasite’s 135, meaning the Korean film has more than doubled the screen average of the Mel Gibson movie. It’s also worth taking into consideration that Apocalypto had a recognized American movie star at the helm.

The Parasite opening figure also surpasses the entire lifetime UK grosses for pics such as The Farewell, and previous Palme d’Or winners Shoplifters and The Square.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

11 hours ago, wildphantom said:

They did that quite a few times last night, it made me laugh when they showed the demise of a certain character from Star Wars in the VFX clip when they could have used literally any other shot from that movie to demonstrate its effects work...

It is genuinely quite galling how spoilerific they got with some of the clips, they showed the end of JoJo Rabbit and Joker, and the Parasite clips ruined a lot of the surprises about where it goes, it really is best viewed when you know absolutely nothing beyond the basic initial premise. Like you, I’m glad I saw it a few months ago and I feel bad for the people who may have had that experience taken away from them by poorly chosen awards show clips.

Edited by SnokesLegs

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

They did that quite a few times last night, it made me laugh when they showed the demise of a certain character from Star Wars in the VFX clip when they could have used literally any other shot from that movie to demonstrate its effects work...

It is genuinely quite galling how spoilerific they got with some of the clips, they showed the end of JoJo Rabbit and Joker, and the Parasite clips ruined a lot of the surprises about where it goes, it really is best viewed when you know absolutely nothing beyond the basic initial premise. Like you, I’m glad I saw it a few months ago and I feel bad for the people who may have had that experience taken away from them by poorly chosen awards show clips.

They always do it at the Oscars - almost like it’s on purpose. The “well if you haven’t seen it before our big night then it serves you right” kind of attitude. There was also a huge spoiler for 1917 in there. But the Parasite ones in the ‘nominees are’ clip reel for Best Picture were shocking!  

My local Cineworld sold out for Parasite tonight. Cineworld being Cineworld, wouldn’t move any other show to put on extra screenings for the most talked about movie of the moment. Lol. 

Anyway, what an opening. There’s me complaining about its late release (and I still think it’s awful we’ve gotten it so late) yet....well it’s going pretty wide this weekend and the hype off the back of last night could easily propel it to no.1. 

Edited by wildphantom

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Anyone clearly seems to be seeing Parasite regardless of subtitles though, not just Korean speakers. 

Yeah that's impressive thing as Indian films which had higher PTA in similar release size were basically NRIs watching them with no local audience bothering about them.