Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Sacha Baron Cohen’s latest feature fails to dethrone Fox’s foul-mouthed superhero.

FOX

It might have been Oscar weekend, but UK audiences were still all about Deadpool as it recorded a hat-trick at the top of the chart.

Fox’s superhero adaptation held off Grimsby with a $4.1m (£2.98m) third weekend for a terrific $43.1m (£31.1m) to date. As expected, it is now the biggest Marvel outing for the distributor, sailing past X-Men: Days Of Future Past’s $37.5m (£27.1m) before the weekend.

Deadpool is now the seventh biggest superhero film of all time at the UK box office, and has Spider-Man 2’s $46.3m (£33.46m) and Iron Man 3’s $51.3m (£37m) firmly in its sights.

Also for Fox, Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chipsuffered its first big drop as it grossed $1.7m (£1.22m) for $20.3m (£14.67m) to date, while The Revenanttrekked to a further $598,000 (£431,418) for $30.1m (£21.76m).

SONY

Grimsby could only chart second on its UK debut as it posted a $2.7m (£1.92m) opening from its 522 sites.

Sony’s action comedy took $596,000 (£430,000) in previews, meaning its Fri-Sun tally of $2.07m (£1.49m) would have still seen it chart second.

Grimsby’s debut marks the lowest for a Sacha Baron Cohen creation, some way behind his previous outing The Dictator which marched to a $6.9m (£4.96m) bow from its 509 sites, including $2.1m (£1.54m) in previews.

Even Ali G Indahouse opened with $4.5m (£3.23m) back in 2002, although it’s worth noting that the character was already well-known by UK audiences.

Also for Sony, Goosebumps spooked up an extra $694,000 (£500,000) for $11.4m (£8.2m) to date, while Chinese sensation The Mermaid added $51,000 (£37,000) for a ten-day tally of $283,000 (£204,000).

WARNER BROS

Last week’s highest new entry How To Be Single held well in its second weekend as it dropped one place to fourth.

Warner Bros’ comedy took $1.3m (£925,000) for a solid $5.1m (£3.66m) to date, and should be looking to at least hit the £5m mark in the UK, a decent return for an original romantic comedy without a major star.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Having had its UK premiere at Glasgow Film Festival on Thursday [Feb 25], Icon Film Distribution’s The Forestopened with $621,000 (£448,258) from its 344 sites.

That marks a solid, if unremarkable, site average of $1,805 (£1,303) and the horror could find it difficult to hold on in a busy market.

UNIVERSAL

Now in its fourth week, Universal’s Dad’s Army is up to $10.7m (£7.71m) following a $504,000 (£363,424) weekend.

Also for Universal, Secret In Their Eyes could only manage a $161,000 (£116,023) debut from its 111 sites. The original bowed to $118,000 (£85,467) from 16 sites.

PARAMOUNT

Zoolander 2 continued its fast burn at the UK box office, falling more than 50% on its way to a $430,000 (£310,000) third weekend. Paramount’s comedy sequel has now taken a likely disappointing $6.3m (£4.54m).

EONE

Struggling in its second week, eOne’s Triple 9 managed only a $361,000 (£260,968) weekend for a ten-day tally of $2m (£1.47m).

It now faces a challenge to match even The Road’s $3.7m (£2.66m) result as John Hillcoat’s second-best performance in the UK.

Also for eOne, Best Picture winner Spotlight is up to $6.6m (£4.78m) following a $259,000 (£187,182) fifth weekend. It could well enjoy a boost over the coming week thanks to its Oscar triumph.

DISNEY

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is finally slowing down after its record-breaking UK run. Disney’s juggernaut dropped 52% to take $249,000 (£180,000) for $169.8m (£122.6m) after 11 weeks in play.

Also for Disney, The Finest Hours capsized in its second weekend, falling 79% on its way to $72,000 (£52,000) for $616,000 (£445,000).

STUDIOCANAL

In its third week, Studiocanal’s A Bigger Splash added $137,000 (£98,515) for $1.3m (£954,458) to date.

Also for Studiocanal, Room and Youth have grossed $5m (£3.6m) and $1.2m (£843,316), respectively. Roomcould get a little boost this week due to Brie Larson’s Oscar win.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Lionsgate’sLondon Has Fallen (opens March 3), Universal’s Hail, Caesar! and Lionsgate’s The Choice.

Fox’s The Other Side Of The Door and Warner Bros’Truth both receive wide releases, while Dogwoof’sHitchcock/Truffaut and Vertigo Releasing’s Goodnight Mommy are among the films receiving a limited release.

Another great week for Deadpool, should pass IM3's £37m. Shame the ER is so shit right now.

London Has Fallen should be able to dethrone Deadpool this weekend, especially considering it is about London. Probably something around £3m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

London has Fallen likely will be number 1 this week, the first one was pretty successful here IIRC. 

The next few weeks I imagine it'll be KFP3 being number 1 for two weeks then Batman v Superman. Zootropolis has previews on the 19th and 20th March but is also opening early in Ireland so I imagine it'll have a good OW. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

London has Fallen likely will be number 1 this week, the first one was pretty successful here IIRC. 

The next few weeks I imagine it'll be KFP3 being number 1 for two weeks then Batman v Superman. Zootropolis has previews on the 19th and 20th March but is also opening early in Ireland so I imagine it'll have a good OW. 

Three big kids films being released within a month of each other, plus Batman v Superman opening against Zootropolis, I think there's gonna be some collision and their box office will take a bit of a hit. Zootropolis and KFP3 will obviously do well given the easter holidays but BvS will have an impact.

The Huntsman's Winter War has also added previews, from Monday 4th to Thursday 7th April.

Also, looking ahead to summer surely something is going to have to move in July?

Ghostbusters, Ice Age and The Purge all on July 15th, then BFG and Star Trek on the 22nd, then Finding Dory and Jason Bourne on the 29th.

5 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

The Huntsman's Winter War has also added previews, from Monday 4th to Thursday 7th April.

Also, looking ahead to summer surely something is going to have to move in July?

Ghostbusters, Ice Age and The Purge all on July 15th, then BFG and Star Trek on the 22nd, then Finding Dory and Jason Bourne on the 29th.

Monday to Thursday previews do seem be happening more as Eddie the Eagle has it as does Warcraft. 

Disney won't move Dory, Universal might move the Purge, TMNT2 has already moved from May to August. 

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Monday to Thursday previews do seem be happening more as Eddie the Eagle has it as does Warcraft. 

Disney won't move Dory, Universal might move the Purge, TMNT2 has already moved from May to August. 

I could see TMNT getting pushed to October again, it did pretty well there last time. 

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I could see TMNT getting pushed to October again, it did pretty well there last time. 

The kids competition in October is pretty heavy this year with Trolls and Storks. I would think eOne would be tempted to move The BFG to October but I think it'll stay in July, maybe have previews the weekend before 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The kids competition in October is pretty heavy this year with Trolls and Storks. I would think eOne would be tempted to move The BFG to October but I think it'll stay in July, maybe have previews the weekend before 

I've never even heard of Storks. Thing is, if Turtles goes elsewhere, it has the advantage in brand recognition, whereas in summer that goes against bigger brands. Shift to October, and everything else would move around it. 

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

More than Hail Cesar...

1.LHF

2-3.Deadpool/KFP3-KFP3/Deadpool

4.Hail Cesar

No, KFP3 will not be in the charts this weekend as it is has not yet finished its OW technically.

Which would make it probably: 

1. London Has Fallen

2. Deadpool

3. Grimsby

4. Hail Caesar

10 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

No, KFP3 will not be in the charts this weekend as it is has not yet finished its OW technically.

Which would make it probably: 

1. London Has Fallen

2. Deadpool

3. Grimsby

4. Hail Caesar

No...

hace 2 horaaducción

Grimsby adds around £840k for £3.6m after 13 days in play in the UK.

Edited by efialtes76