Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

6 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

thanks for reminding us that school holidays are last week of July, captain obvious. no one in the UK box office thread would have possibly known this.

Clearly I wasn’t obvious enough for you.

I’ll dumb it down and provide you with a simple reason next time. 

3 hours ago, pepsa said:

He might have put it there to inform non-UK members who visit the UK thread.

Exactly, thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

JW had a very good hold in the UK, down only 34% Friday-Saturday for $9.4m weekend, up to $33.8m. It has a pretty free run until The Incredibles 2 on July 13th. 

Given World Cup started and weather hasn't been terrible, that's fantastic!

Might decrease a bit next weekend due to Ocean's 8 having a massive marketing push in UK. Although may not effect weekend, but more weekdays since it releases tomorrow. 

Officially it'll be number 1, since I'm pretty sure it'll be clumped into a dodgy 7 day opening

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

JW had a very good hold in the UK, down only 34% Friday-Saturday for $9.4m weekend, up to $33.8m. It has a pretty free run until The Incredibles 2 on July 13th. 

Father's Day likely helped a lot! the five day drop is decent as well. 

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Given World Cup started and weather hasn't been terrible, that's fantastic!

Might decrease a bit next weekend due to Ocean's 8 having a massive marketing push in UK. Although may not effect weekend, but more weekdays since it releases tomorrow. 

Officially it'll be number 1, since I'm pretty sure it'll be clumped into a dodgy 7 day opening

I imagine Ocean's 8 will be £4-5m for a week, enough to get to number 1.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Maybe about £40m (around $55m) 

Which is still great but a huge drop from JW.

Incredibles 2's OW will be interesting, I reckon it can crack £10m even with the WC final and Skyscraper as competition. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Which is still great but a huge drop from JW.

Incredibles 2's OW will be interesting, I reckon it can crack £10m even with the WC final and Skyscraper as competition. 

Personal anecdote, I don't give a rat's ass about football and the WC. That's why I'm going to see I2 opening day with a bunch of friends, and will likely see it again the day after too.

However I'm biased since I absolutely love Disney and Pixar :P 

Just now, Heretic said:

WC final is on a Sunday evening anyway so won't have much of an impact on I2. Should be huge over summer, wouldn't be surprised with £50m. 

The only family competition it has is HT3 which I think will do average business, Teen Titans Go which won't make a dent and Christopher Robin and the latter's not out until mid August.

2 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

For this year 2018 it's seems like the highest grossing movie of this year in the UK is IW, but do other movies like Mama Mia 2 or FB 2 have a chance at dethroning IW?

FB2 is a straight no. Mamma Mia would have to outsell the first one which seems incredibly unlikely. If it could match  it though - then yes Mamma Mia would beat IW.

Far too early to say what film will win the year though... Mary Poppins comes out in the final week of the year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

First time in a while it's only been on a single screen everywhere, probably due to Oceans 8. I'll let ya know what it is ;)

at my usual cineworld st neots (6 screens) fair enough... but even like Stevenage with 16 screens or whatever it has, only one showing. just a bit weird when they are always super popular.

On the other hand I also noticed Sicario next week so booked that one in.

Edited by Avatree