Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The number of screens I'm seeing for Mamma Mia is absurd

My theater is having a massive purge of movies. It's got 9 screens (1 of which is always foreign movies), and this Friday Mamma Mia has 4 screens (most I've seen since Avengers IW) and Incredibles keeps 3 screens (down from 3.5).

Incredible goes back to 3.5 on Saturday and Sunday while MM increases to 4.5.

Absolutely absured that MM is occupying half of our screens. And all but one of the bigger ones (I2 gets that).

My theater at least is expecting monumental numbers for it, and I hope so too.

EDIT: Cineworld Crawley already has a sellout for Friday evening 😮 

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 1

Mamma Mia! has all the premium formats apart from 4DX although it loses those to Mission Impossible: Fallout only a few days later. 

Speaking of Mission Impossible, I'm expecting an increase from Rogue Nation, the last film was seriously leggy, maybe £6-6.5m for the five days. 

I'm curious to see how Bohemian Rhapsody in October does because that has potential to be huge given that Queen is beloved here

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Mamma Mia 2 is on 25 and 35 times a day at the two Glasgow Cineworld’s.

Incredibles 2 is losing 8 showings a day already at both on Friday. 

I2 will likely regain screens as the summer progresses

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I2 will likely regain screens as the summer progresses

I don’t think so.

It’ll keep some but it would never regain its opening week number of screens. 

It’s still on over 10 times a day this week. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

MM OD £3.8m. TI2 decent hold £1.8m.

Woah!

1 hour ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

Any numbers for Mamma Mia?

I'm thinking £10m for the weekend

Based on £3.8m Friday (and without midnights too! At least my theatre didn't have any and usually does)

My theater is so far heaving compared to yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised at an increase, let's say 30%, then drop on Sunday of 20%, that gives 3.8m + 4.9m + 3.9m = £12.6m

However this could very well go higher. Phenomenal performance

£10m is very solid for Mamma Mia! although I'm surprised it only stayed flat for the Saturday.

I think it'll get £50-55m but I'm not sure if it'll match the £68m total the original did. There's a lot more competition in August alone. 

It'll be interesting if Mission Impossible can nab the top spot, it has a five day opening so I reckon it's possible. Rogue Nation did £5.3m for the four day opening last time so I think £6-6.5m is likely. 

Edited by Jonwo

1 Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 2018/7/20 £ 9,735,930 £ 9,735,930 Universal Int'l
2 Incredibles 2 2018/7/13 £ 6,803,384 £ 22,424,082 Walt Disney Int'l
3 Skyscraper 2018/7/13 £ 892,723 £ 3,813,384 Universal Int'l
4 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 2018/6/8 £ 618,226 £ 39,682,147 Universal Int'l
5 First Purge, The 2018/7/6 £ 506,578 £ 4,500,108 Universal Int'l
6 Hotel Artemis 2018/7/20 £ 357,261 £ 357,261 Warner Bros Int'l
7 Ocean's 8 2018/6/22 £ 270,273 £ 10,465,765 Warner Bros Int'l
8 Spitfire 2018/7/20 £ 211,464 £ 211,464 Altitude Film
9 Thomas & Friends: Big World! 2018/7/20 £ 125,081 £ 125,081 National Amusements 
10 Dhadak 2018/7/20 £ 111,941 £ 111,941 Zee Studios
  • Like 4

Went to see Incredibles 2 yesterday. To my horror, the air conditioning was broken so it wasn’t the most pleasant experience. Film was great though, expect it’ll get close to £50m mark in the end. 

Speaking of heat, Met Office is predicting 37 degrees here with a chance the all time record of 38.5 degrees could be broken. What is this madness!? Crazy summer we’re having. Almost no rain in 2 months. 

• Like 1

Considering the weather MM and TI are two juggernauts. Both will hit £50mil. Mission is targeting £25-30. Ant Man next week. Talking about busy market.

Wednesday Fallout previews did £1m. Indicates finishing second over the weekend. Mamma Mia vs Infinity War can be a showdown if this one grows legs.  £2.6m Wed, £17.5m cume. Looking at a £20m opening week in the heatwave.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Considering the weather MM and TI are two juggernauts. Both will hit £50mil. Mission is targeting £25-30. Ant Man next week. Talking about busy market.

Wednesday Fallout previews did £1m. Indicates finishing second over the weekend. Mamma Mia vs Infinity War can be a showdown if this one grows legs.  £2.6m Wed, £17.5m cume. Looking at a £20m opening week in the heatwave.

Didn't Rogue Nation do £5.3m for four days, I'm sure £6-6.5m is doable and enough to secure the top spot. 

Will be interesting how Ant-Man does next week, I do wonder if the months delay will hurt it? Any thoughts on how Christopher Robin could do?

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1