Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Warner Bros’ animation debuts top with the year’s biggest debut so far; Fox’s The Monuments Men starts off UK run with non-final $2.7m (£1.6m) in second.

Despite a busy Valentine’s Day-fuelled release window,The Lego Movie recorded the UK’s biggest debut of 2014 to top the chart.

Having built up $3.6m (£2.15m) in previews last week, Warner Bros’ 3D animation towered over the competition with a $13.4m (£8.03m) debut. The result means it’s already surpassed the entire $10.9m (£6.5m) UK run of co-directors Phil Lord & Christopher Miller’s previous foray into animation, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

This coming week will also see The Lego Movie become Lord & Miller’s best-ever UK performer, surpassing 21 Jump Street’s $16.9m (£10.1m).

As debuts for non-sequel animation offerings go, The Lego Movie is comparable to the debuts of Up ($10.7m/£6.4m) and Finding Nemo ($12.3m/£7.4m) on their way to $57.9m (£34.6m) and $62.5m (£37.4m), respectively.

FOX

Landing second behind The Lego Movie was another new entry in the form of Fox’s The Monuments Men.

George Clooney’s latest directorial outing recorded a healthy non-final $2.7m (£1.6m) UK debut at a site average of $5,531 (£3,304). That marks Clooney’s strongest debut, ahead of The Ides of March’s $1.1m (£665,387) from 213 sites.

It also puts the based on real life drama in a great position to become Clooney’s best-ever UK performer, currently The Ides of March’s $5.2m (£3.1m) result.

Also for Fox, last week’s champion Mr. Peabody & Sherman fell to fourth as it dropped 44% week-on-week, discounting previews. The 3D animation added $2.3m (£1.4m) to climb to $9.7m (£5.8m), ahead of what should be a fruitful half term week.

STUDIOCANAL

Dropping just 37% in its second weekend, RoboCopcharted third with $2.5m (£1.5m).

StudioCanal’s reboot is now up to a strong $8.2m (£4.92m) ten-day total and will shortly overtake Total Recall’s $9.5m (£5.7m) UK result. £10m is a possibility if it holds well this week.

Also for StudioCanal, Cuban Fury danced its way to a respectable $1.6m (£964,630) UK bow from 363 sites. That puts it as the leading romantic offering from the Valentine’s Day releases at seventh.

UNIVERSAL

Rounding off this week’s top five and falling just 30% in its fifth week was The Wolf of Wall Street with $1.9m (£1.12m) through Universal.

Martin Scorsese’s latest is now up to an excellent $32.8m (£19.59m) and, barring a major collapse, is all-but guaranteed to end its run as the UK’s highest grossing 18-rated film of all time ahead of Hannibal’s $35.5m (£21.6m).

Universal’s entry into the Valentine’s Day crowd came in the form of Endless Love, which started its UK run with a sturdy $1.2m (£741,000) at a site average of $3,468 (£2,071). That’s already director Shana Feste’s best-ever UK performer, ahead of Country Strong’s $74,000 (£43,912).

Lone Survivor stands at $3.3m (£2m) after three weeks in play.

DISNEY

Despite family competition from The Lego Movie and Mr. Peabody & ShermanTinker Bell and the Pirate Fairysailed to a solid $1.6m (£942,168) debut through Disney, with 90.21% of its weekend gross coming from 2D screenings.

That’s ahead of Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings’ UK bow of $855,000 (£528,820), with the film going on an excellent run to take $7.4m (£4.4m). Were the Pirate Fairy to emulate that run, it should be looking at a UK result of over £5m.

Also for Disney, BAFTA winner Frozen looks to be losing its battle to hit £40m in the UK as it dropped 43% to add $457,000 (£272,790) for $62.7m (£37.5m).

EONE

Holding well from its strong UK bow last week, Dallas Buyers Club posted a $1.2m (£713,729) second weekend. eOne’s drama is now up to a ten-day tally of $4.1m (£2.42m), continuing the distributor’s strong start to 2014.

Also for eOne, BAFTA Best Film winner 12 Years a Slave added $893,000 (£533,666) in its sixth weekend to climb to a hugely impressive $27.6m (£16.5m) to date.

That Awkward Moment is up to $4m (£2.39m) after three weeks in play.

ENTERTAINMENT

Released on 200 screens through Entertainment, Herposted a UK bow of $752,000 (£449,307) for a decent $3,759 (£2,247) site average given its somewhat niche appeal.

The debut marks director Spike Jonze’s second-best UK bow, behind Where the Wild Things Are’s $1.5m (£883,990) from 491 sites. Being John Malkovichpreviously provided Jonze’s best debut for an adult-orientated film with $496,000 (£296,282) from 55 sites.

Also for Entertainment, American Hustle (winner of BAFTA for Best Supporting Actress and Best Makeup and Hair) is up to $21.9m (£13.1m) following a $234,000 (£139,779) weekend.

LIONSGATE

Ahead of its expansion from this Friday [Feb 21], The Invisible Woman added $105,000 (£62,737) from its 37 London cinemas to stand at $508,000 (£303,934) through Lionsgate.

PARAMOUNT

Now up to $5.6m (£3.33m) in the UK following a $100,000 (£60,000) weekend through Paramount, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit will end its UK run as one of the lowest grossing outings in the franchise, behind The Sum of All Fears’ $7.5m (£4.5m).

ARTIFICIAL EYE

Released in ten sites through Artificial Eye, Claire Denis’Bastards posted a UK debut of $19,400 (£11,574) including previews. Denis’ last UK outing, White Material, bowed with $53,000 (£31,763) from 21 sites back in 2010.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Warner Bros’ A New York Winter’s Tale, while Soda’s Only Lovers Left Alive and Sony’s Stalingrad both receive wide releases and Lionsgate’s The Invisible Woman expands wide.

Artificial Eye’s Nymphomaniac, Volume I and II receives a one-off event release at cinemas across the UK on Feb 22, while Peccadillo’s Stranger by the Lake is among the films receiving a limited release.

Hopefully Frozen has enough momentum over half term to hit $65m.

• Like 1

Does that mean my screening tomorrow is likely to be retardedly busy? God I hope so!

if it follows our usual holiday pattern here then today should be the slowest of the midweek!

wednesday will be absolutely crazy. wouldn't surprise me if we sold out all the shows of peabody & lego plus the evening of monuments men.

if it follows our usual holiday pattern here then today should be the slowest of the midweek!

wednesday will be absolutely crazy. wouldn't surprise me if we sold out all the shows of peabody & lego plus the evening of monuments men.

I'm going to my local cineworld, where they've made a big song and dance about tickets for 2D shows being only 5.20 all day, and even less if you book online. I'm hoping this means it'll be damn busy.

I think Lego could get to £30-35m. Would need excellent legs to challenge Frozen and it'll only have weekends to make the big bucks after half term. Poor Mr Peabody and Sherman has been overshadowed by it. I'm surprised Frozen is still playing but I imagine Disney won't pull it until nearer the DVD release.