Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Hottest day of the year today, all films going to be hit. I was just checking detailed reports and interesting thing about JWD and TGM: in most multiplexes JWD is ahead of Top Gun, but nearly all boutique/art house cinemas like Curzon/Everyman/Picturehouse TGM is already overtaken JWD in most sites. TGM is going to have a lengthy run this summer.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

Lightyear doesn't need to go big this weekend as it's got the summer months to make its dosh and in terms of kids competition, it's only really Minions, Super Pets and maybe The Railway Children Return. 

Edited by Jonwo

45 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Hottest day of the year today, all films going to be hit. I was just checking detailed reports and interesting thing about JWD and TGM: in most multiplexes JWD is ahead of Top Gun, but nearly all boutique/art house cinemas like Curzon/Everyman/Picturehouse TGM is already overtaken JWD in most sites. TGM is going to have a lengthy run this summer.

Will be interesting to see how Elvis does, that seems like a perfect film for those boutique/art house cinemas.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I know here in the south we're due rain this evening and most of the day tomorrow. Might give everything a boost, we shall see. But Christ this heat right now is intolerable. 

15 degrees in the north right now, this is the real north/south divide!

Yeah yesterday was like 33 here but in the north it wasn’t even half of that in some places, pretty crazy. But parts of France are seeing consecutive 40+ days so we should count ourselves lucky.

I think today should see big increases as it’s a lot cloudier across the country, and tomorrow I expect will also be mostly flat, maybe even increases for films like Top Gun due to Father’s Day, so could be a great weekend for that film particularly. Not surprised at the weak performance of Lightyear or the huge drop for JWD. The latter might even struggle for much more than £30m.

Edited by Heretic

Rain is coming for Sunday, should see nice increases. Lot was going on today, sunny weather to start the day, rugby, Royal Ascot. Nothing can save LY, there's zero buzz for it, Minions will kill it in a couple of weeks. It's a misfire for Pixar, which actually good news. Stop milking the cow, do what you do best, create original films.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

On 6/17/2022 at 8:48 PM, PhilipJ2001 said:

We're already sold out Friday night, Saturday night and almost Sunday night for Elvis at my cinema. Gonna be big.

Today looks like JWD #1, TGM #2 and Lightyear #3.

I've always had a feeling Elvis was going to do well and I think it'll be number 1 next week.

10 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

TGM only 25.6% down from last weekend.  The race for all time top 10 is on. Elvis is going to do well next weekend, but also expecting TGM getting some IMAX showings back.

I had a skim at prebookings for Elvis and it's doing really well at the boutique chains, I imagine the multiplexes will see bookings pick up in the coming week and also walk ins.

Edited by Jonwo

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I hope Elvis is gonna do well. One thing working against it is the long run time. We'll be interesting to see how it does compared to Rocketman.

I think an opening similar to The Great Gatsby is achievable IMO.