Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's not 10th yet. Currently 18th in this list but can remove some like Venom out of there. 

https://www.saltypopcorn.co.uk/genre/?genre=Horror

ComScore might be discounting some films as not “pure horror”.

I’d *guess* they’re not including The Meg, Alien Covenant, World War Z or What Lies Beneath. Maybe it passed The Nun yesterday? and A Quiet Place 2 is either already passed or will be in the next week or so. 

Tweeted them earlier to ask but they didn’t respond. 

Hannibal and Dracula are the only other 18 rated films above Smile. 

BP did very well here with 17.7M 6-days and 22.68M 10-days. FSS was 10.5M, probably would have done 12-13M if it was normal FSS release.

Can BP 2 do 13M? On one hand, it should be over Batman but then Thor didn't do that well and everywhere BP2 is below Thor.

Top FSS 2022

DSitMoM -  £14,918,960 (+£4,847,458 Thursday)

The Batman -  £13,531,855 

Thor 4 - £9,130,857 (+£3,152,862 Thursday)

Batman opening very impressive here. This does include some previews but don't know how much as SAT dropped from FRI.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

48 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BP did very well here with 17.7M 6-days and 22.68M 10-days. FSS was 10.5M, probably would have done 12-13M if it was normal FSS release.

Can BP 2 do 13M? On one hand, it should be over Batman but then Thor didn't do that well and everywhere BP2 is below Thor.

Top FSS 2022

DSitMoM -  £14,918,960 (+£4,847,458 Thursday)

The Batman -  £13,531,855 

Thor 4 - £9,130,857 (+£3,152,862 Thursday)

Batman opening very impressive here. This does include some previews but don't know how much as SAT dropped from FRI.

Batman was a 15 which definitely hampered it's launch slightly, no under 15s allowed with that cert here. 

BP looks like it should make a run at £15m for sure. 

• Like 2

BP looking very busy on the Friday near me, definitely bigger than Thor and Batman. Probably about equal to DS2. Although curiously it seems to be busier in the regular screens rather than IMAX. Infact the Cineworld in Sheffield seems to be performing weaker in general than it usually would compared to the other cinemas nearby, maybe the spate of catalytic converter thefts from their car park (of which I was also a victim) is causing people to go elsewhere.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

BP looking very busy on the Friday near me, definitely bigger than Thor and Batman. Probably about equal to DS2. Although curiously it seems to be busier in the regular screens rather than IMAX. Infact the Cineworld in Sheffield seems to be performing weaker in general than it usually would compared to the other cinemas nearby, maybe the spate of catalytic converter thefts from their car park (of which I was also a victim) is causing people to go elsewhere.

This fucking country

• Like 1

Seems to have picked up massively at the Cineworld near me, the 19:30 IMAX (3D) showing tomorrow will easily be a sell out after walk ups. The other screens look very busy too. It does all seem to be heavily weighted towards Friday though, presales for Saturday are nowhere near as strong, and Sunday is a ghost town at the moment (Sunday’s are usually walk up heavy though).

37 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Vue Stratford has basically sold out its entire afternoon and evening from like 4pm till 10:30pm (16 shows) and other early afternoon and late night shows are looking very busy already so will likely sell out with walk ups. 

Was just having a look at that, that 4 tier pricing system is a mess 🤣

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Was just having a look at that, that 4 tier pricing system is a mess 🤣

It is, however I don’t know how some chains like Odeon are still in business as Vue have become ultra competitive on price, and also their quality from my experience is better than chains like Odeon. It’s no wonder I rarely see sell-outs anymore in any Odeon cinemas when people can go elsewhere. Even looking at Cineworld, they seem to charge exceptional prices. Would be interesting to see market breakdown of the main chains in the UK.

33 minutes ago, Heretic said:

It is, however I don’t know how some chains like Odeon are still in business as Vue have become ultra competitive on price, and also their quality from my experience is better than chains like Odeon. It’s no wonder I rarely see sell-outs anymore in any Odeon cinemas when people can go elsewhere. Even looking at Cineworld, they seem to charge exceptional prices. Would be interesting to see market breakdown of the main chains in the UK.

Memberships keep Cineworld and Odeon in the game, plus the fact that South East of London has zero Vue presence at all. That being said on a quality experience front, I've found Vue as weak as the others. The seats in Stratford Westfield are so run down half the time, especially when I've put the cash up to go in to the VIP section. Cineworld generally has awful screen and sound maintenance across London outside of premium or new screens, while Odeon is a coin flip depending on where you go. 

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

My head nearly exploded the other day when I saw that Cineworld Leicester Square was charging £27 for IMAX 3D tickets, that’s £9 more than up here in Sheffield (where the seats are far more comfortable).

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

My head nearly exploded the other day when I saw that Cineworld Leicester Square was charging £27 for IMAX 3D tickets, that’s £9 more than up here in Sheffield (where the seats are far more comfortable).

The £9 total I paid for me and the gf for our 2D IMAX show there today is much more reasonable 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Are cineworld cinemas atleast better quality? they gotta be as they are #1 chain there but if their website is to go by and way higher prices than Vue and Odeon, they must be pretty shit.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The £9 premium is just because it’s in Leicester Square, where anything you buy is practically daylight robbery. It’s the same if you go to a cinema in Times Square. 

43 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Are cineworld cinemas atleast better quality? they gotta be as they are #1 chain there but if their website is to go by and way higher prices than Vue and Odeon, they must be pretty shit.

Oh Lord no. The regular screens at Cineworld are generally absolute dogshit, with uncomfy seats and poor projection quality. If it weren’t for their IMAX’s (which have their projection/sound quality maintained by IMAX), I’d never go there again. The only reason they’re the number 1 chain is because of the sheer amount of Cineworld’s across the UK.

12 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The £9 premium is just because it’s in Leicester Square, where anything you buy is practically daylight robbery. It’s the same if you go to a cinema in Times Square. 

True, but last time I went to CW Leicester Square I think it was “only” about £22 for IMAX (I believe it was for Joker in 2019, granted that was only 2D so won’t have had the 3D tax), so they’ve definitely ramped their prices up in the last 3 years.

£27 isn’t far off what Odeon Leicester Square charge for the recliners in the Dolby screen.