Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

40 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The Light seems to be the only one going big with 2D. Odeon is majority 3D and the local Cineworld is 24 3D (including IMAX, 4DX and VIP) and 18 2D. They’ve even got 7:30am showings which have sold a few tickets.

It seems to be outpacing Black Panther in the premium formats so far.

who would be crazy enough to do that?!

22 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'd imagine with The Light, they aren't a chain that invested heavily in 3D during the last wave, I don't think outside the first week or two that it'll overly hurt them though. 

That’s probably true actually, they opened about 5 or 6 years ago and at that point 3D was very much on the wane. Based on their past 3D showings, I’d actually bet that they only have two 3D capable screens out of the nine. 

They showed Avatar 1 in 3D/HFR back in September too, but Avatar 2 doesn’t seem to have the HFR listing next to it like the original did.

It's clear Disney has no confidence in the film whatsoever.

Thing is it becomes such a confirmation bias issue: a movie flopping when you haven't invested any marketing at all validates that you spent no marketing on it. Conversely it is an original story and it 'shows' that original stories don't make money and so we have to go back to the franchise bucket.

That said it's not a first, in fact it's an odd trend for Disney. Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons and perhaps even more strikingly given the established franchise, the last Winnie the Pooh movie, are post-2000 Disney animated films that got absolutely no marketing whatsoever. 

4 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Thing is it becomes such a confirmation bias issue: a movie flopping when you haven't invested any marketing at all validates that you spent no marketing on it. Conversely it is an original story and it 'shows' that original stories don't make money and so we have to go back to the franchise bucket.

That said it's not a first, in fact it's an odd trend for Disney. Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons and perhaps even more strikingly given the established franchise, the last Winnie the Pooh movie, are post-2000 Disney animated films that got absolutely no marketing whatsoever. 

It definitely feels like animation became something primarily for Disney+ under Chapek, should be interesting to see if this strategy changes now than Iger is back.

5 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This seems to be true of all films at the moment - a negative feedback loop whereby nothing (or barely anything) gets enough advertising, so it flops, so they cut the advertising budget for the next release and so on. Really disheartening.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:34 AM, SnokesLegs said:

Can’t say I’m surprised, I haven’t seen a single piece of marketing for it. No billboards, no bus ads, no TV spots, not even any online ads. It’s been bizarrely dumped by Disney.

Strangely, I got two adverts for it last night before… The Menu. And that was the first thing I’ve seen for it. Clearly reflected in the numbers it looks like. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Surprised by that Matilda OD, it looks dreadful

It looks abysmal, I think it’s a Netflix film everywhere else?