Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Brits love a musical. Also this has 100% on RT so it must actually be decent…

Wouldn’t be surprised if it legged it to near £20m as looks to be heading for a pretty good opening. 

Brits love a musical yes, but it just looks cringe conceptually and visually no better than a CBBC production 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Brits love a musical yes, but it just looks cringe conceptually and visually no better than a CBBC production 

You are simply incorrect.

One musical routine has been released and it contains some of the best choreography for years, done with an absolute command of the transition of dance from stage to screen, which is rare.

The story isn't "cringe conceptually"...it's literally a beloved children's novel.

It sounds like you just don't like musicals and/or this is a type of story that just isn't for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

You are simply incorrect.

One musical routine has been released and it contains some of the best choreography for years, done with an absolute command of the transition of dance from stage to screen, which is rare.

The story isn't "cringe conceptually"...it's literally a beloved children's novel.

It sounds like you just don't like musicals and/or this is a type of story that just isn't for you.

The trailers I've seen, the production design and lighting look amateur. 

I know it's a beloved children's novel, the musical aspect of it is cringe to me. The songs sound awful. I don't mind a musical, they're not my favourites, but this one is off putting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

It's based on a hit musical which has been running over 10 years in the West End, the adult cast are all well known British actors, and the book and original film were both hits.

Not sure how you'd think this wouldn't do well?

I never really doubted it doing well, I just don't have much faith in the population sometimes. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The trailers I've seen, the production design and lighting look amateur. 

I know it's a beloved children's novel, the musical aspect of it is cringe to me. The songs sound awful. I don't mind a musical, they're not my favourites, but this one is off putting. 

For what it’s worth, I got the trailer on Friday before Glass Onion and I completely agree, it looked awful. But then I always liked the 90’s version with Mara Wilson, and this musical version looked like a horrific departure from that. The main girl seemed extremely nauseating.

I’m not surprised it’s doing well though, the Brits do love musicals.

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

For what it’s worth, I got the trailer on Friday before Glass Onion and I completely agree, it looked awful. But then I always liked the 90’s version with Mara Wilson, and this musical version looked like a horrific departure from that. The main girl seemed extremely nauseating.

I’m not surprised it’s doing well though, the Brits do love musicals.

The 1996 film while good is not a faithful adaptation. The musical version is much closer to the book. 

On 11/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, UKBoxOffice said:

Saturday top 10

1 Matilda The Musical £1,744m
2 Black Panther £1,287m
3 Strange World £362k
4 The Menu £195k
5 She Said £152k
6 Bones And All £89k
7 Black Adam £84k
8 Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile £62k
9 Living £53k
10 Banshees Of Inisherin £51k    

something's telling me those commas are meant to be full-stops

22 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Surprised at Matilda doing so well. I also thought it looked garbage lol. 

Also surprised to see She Said out-open Bones and All. Dreadful for Strange World, especially as families have been starved for animated films, there’s no excuse for that awful opening. 

Bones and All' 18 rating and the general content would have made it less appealing than She Said. 

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Bones and All' 18 rating and the general content would have made it less appealing than She Said. 

I don’t know, they opened pretty identically in America. I’ve got the B&A trailer before several horror films recently but have seen absolutely nothing for She Said.