Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

4 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Duality of bot.

To me it is around expected but also pretty meh

It's a good number in a vacuum but meh for a huge performance in the UK. In rest of europe this opened much better relatively though the UK tends to be more similar to DOM so I kind of had A2 coming in below TGM here anyway.

Solid number. Lot of people are waiting to see it in IMAX and PLF over the next few weeks. Will have a decent couple of weeks. Expecting to fall off in Janaury though. After watching it last night, can't see this getting a great WoM in terms of multiple viewings what made NWH and TGM very successful.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Lol why are people acting like this is an awful number when the rest of the world is similar?

Why would people be acting like this number is good when it's similar to the rest of the world which we're treating as bad 😛

Edited by Korra Legion

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Lol why are people acting like this is an awful number when the rest of the world is similar? This is a solid OD. This was never going to have an opening of £15m+ and to have expected that is setting yourself up for disappointment

Compared to other markets in Europe it's a much worse OW relative to their markets so it seems fine to say it's meh. Though the UK often feels like it performs closer to DOM anyway like I said, where the film is having a soft opening, so I wouldn't say a soft opening here as well was unexpected.

Edited by JustLurking

Decent enough number. From what I was seeing at CW Crawley Friday was dead before 3pm, and only really had 2 sessions of decent showing times, with it falling quiet after 10/11pm. 

Saturday however is already looking much better sold and distributed (in premium formats anyway) across the whole day.

Hoping a decent Saturday increase, will predict jump to £5.5m.

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

Lol why are people acting like this is an awful number when the rest of the world is similar? This is a solid OD. This was never going to have an opening of £15m+ and to have expected that is setting yourself up for disappointment

come on. don't "people" me. 

I gave my reason tbf. 300K OD simply don't cut. UK should be 40-50% higher than France, France FRI is 340K (3rd day). UK should have been 500K+ atleast.

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

UK tends to be more similar to DOM so I kind of had A2 coming in below TGM here anyway.

UK tends to be more similar to Canada. CAN OD is more like $45M equivalent than $36M what we have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

come on. don't "people" me. 

I gave my reason tbf. 300K OD simply don't cut. UK should be 40-50% higher than France, France FRI is 340K (3rd day). UK should have been 500K+ atleast.

UK tends to be more similar to Canada. CAN OD is more like $45M equivalent than $36M what we have.

Let’s see how Saturday behaves. If it has a weak jump then we probably have a bigger issue. But my point stands that this was never going to be a mega opener partly due to the length, time of year, and demand for IMAX/PLF over standard formats.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Let’s see how Saturday behaves. If it has a weak jump then we probably have a bigger issue. But my point stands that this was never going to be a mega opener partly due to the length, time of year, and demand for IMAX/PLF over standard formats.

Given the length of the film, unless you wanted to be in the cinema past midnight, you really needed to be aiming for a 7pm showtime, and with most people finishing work at 5, it will likely have limited it’s potential yesterday. Plus unless you’re near a cinema doing late shows, the 7pm-ish PLF’s were the only viable PLF options for some people, so the OD number isn’t too surprising really. 

Anecdotally it does seem busier near me today, IMAX has been sold out all day and 2D/regular 3D is looking stronger than yesterday.